Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E13: Indian Elections

• Start Topic

It’s a shame that John could only muster a few minutes galavanting in the guilt of Trump (along with a “We Gottem” picture in the credits), but I guess we need to see the megalomania abroad and how it can devastate the area around it. I don’t think John will stop talking about the problems Modi brings, even when he does it in that accent. This is a man that politicizes bulldozers. Bright side: we got to see Bob the Builder back dat ass up.

Bright side: John bought a Red Lobster, and he’ll only sell the biscuits! That doesn’t offset Modi, but it will make you forget about friggin’ Kennedy and her prom night. My God, Jesse Camp is probably more coherent than her now.

• Like 5

Seriously, I would really love to see what this show's financial statements must look like :p. The people who handle the show's finances must have an absolute feild day. 

I did appreciate the backstory on what's going on with Red Lobster, though. I've never eaten at one, and I don't think the one we had here has been here for some time, even before this recent round of restaurants closing. But speaking of questionable financial decisions... 

As for Modi, it really speaks to how dismal the past decade or so has been in terms of creeping authoritarian rule across the globe, to where someone that John talked about all the way iback in his very first episode is STILL being talked about now. The bulldozer thing was wild (especially since it's being done through pop music - like, talk about an insidious way to get people on your side), the stories of the abuse, harassment, and violence that Muslims have had to deal with in India is horrifying, and the fact that they're trying to control how people cover this administration even outside the country is bonkers*. 

Also, for someone who's more than happy to put his face on everything in sight, it's strange that he's never done a single press conference. But yeah, that particular similarity between him and certain other politicians is telling. Almost like tryinng to profit off your presidency should be a massive red flag, or something. 

*LOL at John's "Bill Maher" thing XD. And I liked how he used those websites as a place people could go to see the segment on Modi. 

As for Trump...that clip of the newsanchor reading out every single individual count was AMAZING :D. Please, John, just let us live in the fantasy of that moment, and avoid having to think about the potential outcome for later this year. It really is absolutely bonkers, though, for real, that Trump could still run and possibly win even after all of this. What does it have to actually take to put an end to this insanity once and for all? 

"Just like my prom night." *Nods* Thanks for sharing, Kennedy. 

• Like 6

What's going on in India and with Modi is so depressing. What can be done? Nothing. Oh, and I couldn't help but think about TFG admiring Modi and saying, "THAT'S the way you do it!"

I haven't been to a Red Lobster in many many years. Yes, the cheddar bay biscuits are great. I've seen box mixes for this in the grocery store and have wondered how good they are. One guy in a clip said he tried to make them at home, but they weren't very good. Did he use the box mix or improvise?

Private equity firms are the worst. 

I'm sure fans of Kennedy love her running prom-night jokes. Not me. She used to be a host on MTV, right?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

She used to be a host on MTV, right?

Yes, back in the '90s -- and every bit as insufferable. 

Slightly OT: I'd love to see Bill Maher get in trouble for something John did, though I know the possibility is remote. 

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

That doesn’t offset Modi, but it will make you forget about friggin’ Kennedy and her prom night.

That's actually not a bad punch line. I like to do that about my nonexistent ex wife. I get good laughs from it. Actually, for years, people thought I really had an ex wife. That's how good my delivery is. 

The problem is if you're not really funny or quick, pick your spots. She was shoving it in there way too incongruously and the timing was off on a lot of them because you could see her formulating when to say it. The joke itself didn't make sense. Is she saying that she tried to have sex on prom night and her date was so inept? Or was she? 

Lines like that have to be bang-bang. 

I know Modi is very important, but I actually would have liked a separate episode about Red Robin, maybe on a broader theme. How corporations are gouging businesses. I don't go to the restaurant, but I don't roll my eyes over people who like to go. In smaller cities, that might be one of the only places where people gather socially. I genuinely felt bad for the guy who went there and it was just closed. 

• Like 2

Haven't seen this episode yet but it looks like BJP may not win an outright majority as expected.  The BJP won 303 out of a possible 543 seats in 2019 and Modi was promising to outperform that.

But he may not even get a majority and some of the voters quoted said unemployment and inflation were the reasons they didn't vote for the BJP.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

She used to be a host on MTV, right?

Alternative Nation, which sounds fitting for FNC. Also . . . didn’t Fox dump her ass a few years ago?

I forgot to add . . . reverse snakes have to be the stuff of at least one writer’s nightmares.

• Like 2

Only 30 seconds on the verdict? Really? 

That was the only reason I watched the show this week!

Feels like John's written off American politics. And he really thinks it won't matter at all and Trump is going to win? God, I don't want that to be true.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

reverse snakes have to be the stuff of at least one writer’s nightmares.

Word. I found the Opposite Snake image so revolting I had to quickly look away every time it came on after that.* Eeeeeewww!

*Rather like I have to look away every time I see Drumpf's face, or the face of Australia's previous prime minister, Scott Morrison. Nightmare stuff indeed.

Edited by purist
  • Like 2
On 6/4/2024 at 9:36 PM, aghst said:

Haven't seen this episode yet but it looks like BJP may not win an outright majority as expected.  The BJP won 303 out of a possible 543 seats in 2019 and Modi was promising to outperform that.

But he may not even get a majority and some of the voters quoted said unemployment and inflation were the reasons they didn't vote for the BJP.

I agree unemployment and inflation was the main reason. Modi is talking about religion only not the development of nation. And we all know that Hinduism is the largest(79.8%) religion in India. 

• Like 1