Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Drag Queens Save the World!

• Start Topic

(edited)

Season 9 begins with a bang as eight stellar queens return to give us thrills, drama, and shade! Okay, most of the cast has been spoiled for months (and, in the case of Shannel, for over a year), but it's still fun to pretend to be surprised as they enter the Werkroom. They all look pretty great, although confessional Roxxxy seems to be morphing into a drag member of the Goodfellas cast. Hot!

A fun (and, for the first in a while) successful reading challenge leads into an equally entertaining branding/drag celebration song and dance number, and everyone is pretty good. Nina is in excellent voice, but this is not American Idol, so the judges pass her over in favour of a frisky Angeria and nimble Jorgeous. The golden plunger from AS8 has been replaced by the equally silly Scarlet Scissors, and Roxxxy finds herself blocked because Angeria hates her. Kidding! But not really.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I am always happy to see this back on. It is obvious that some queens have way more money than others and I’m happy that RuPaul seemed to judge performances over looks. Michelle can say it doesn’t matter if you have money but you can’t make an outfits like Gottmik had on without some serious funds. I’m not a big fan of Jorgeous, but she did a good job with the choreography. 

• Like 2

I read that all the queens got something like $50,000, I think it was, for costuming expenses this season. I saw season 13, but can't remember if Gottmik did the greyscale/black and white makeup the entire season (or perhaps I've blocked it out!), and am hoping that won't be the case this time.

Forgot how funny and engaging and enjoyable Angeria is. I had Nina West as top two rather than Jorgeous, but glad Angeria got the win.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Roxxxy finds herself blocked because Angeria hates her. Kidding! But not really.

Angie still can't forgive Roxxxy for her treatment of Jinxx. She me.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

It was nice to see a decent reading challenge again.

I enjoy the All Stars seasons because everyone's stress level is down and they all seem to have more fun. I get it - the pressure of making your career is off - and I really enjoy the vibe of it way better than regular Drag Race.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

It's funny you say that because this is the first time I've ever felt a reading challenge had the jokes written ahead of time. By someone else.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Starchild said:

It's funny you say that because this is the first time I've ever felt a reading challenge had the jokes written ahead of time. By someone else.

This thought was running through my head as I was watching the challenge. I'm guessing that the writers and production, after having been blamed for so many awful reading challenges in the recent past, have now started to sweeten the experience by feeding the AS queens their reads. I haven't noticed during the regular season runs, though.

• Like 2

I too loved the reading challenge but naively thought these ladies are so good at what they do the reads just seamlessly leave their lips at this point.

So in another thread I had admitted to muting Ru's performances but I'm I admit to half listening to this one. I LOL'd when a queen had said "this is all stars, you can't do a step and touch on all stars" when they were choreographing to the main challenge song...and Ru does step and touch during her performance. 

I want all of them to do well & earn that cash for the charities but I have a soft spot for season one queens song heart hopes Shannel doesn't fall off the stage anymore so she can snatch that crown.

Plastique is just on another level now. I prefer her designs to Gottmik's. 

• Like 4
(edited)

Shannel needs to edit...but going by that Xmas house,  I shouldn't hold my breath.

Love seeing more Vanjie - Silkie wishes she were as scene-stealing - and Nina and Angeria...and I'm kinda rooting for Roxxie to win. The fat jokes sucked at her expense stank and she's obviously improved with time and has a lot of respect in the community. Maybe now she gets a crown.

...but are they earning no money at all for themselves?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 2
(edited)

Any time Vanjie is on my screen is a good time for me. I adore her, both in drag and out. And I didn't remember just how young Plastique was the first go-round, but out-of-drag it's obvious she's grown. 

Angeria is still delightful as is Nina -- her stint with "Hairspray" has polished up her performance skills, which weren't bad to begin with.  Appreciate GREATLY the $$ going to charity this year -- now have a soft spot for Roxxxy as I too live in Florida and it's a cesspool of hate and horribleness down here.

Looking forward to a fun season -- which will go a long way to saving my world as these queens are just what the doctor ordered.

Edited by janeyjay
It would help if I remembered how many Xs are in Roxxxy's name. D'oh!
  • Like 2

This was a great first episode.  I loved Nina's verse in Drag Queen's Save the World...her singing was on a different level than many.  Plastique is going to blow my mind with her runway package.  Angie was hilarious in her fragrance runway, even though her perfume itself looked as though a preschooler made it! 😉. I'm looking forward to seeing how legends Shannel and Roxxxy do this season.  I really loved Shannel in season 1 and am hoping she gets her flowers this year.