Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Doghouse

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Just stopped in to say I wish this forum was more active, since I love this show.

Tia is the most interesting person on TV.   I don't necessarily agree with 100% of what she says/does, but damn she's so incredibly passionate about what she does.  I respect the hell out of her for her dedication to her mission.

• Love 3
Bastet, whatever difficulties you are going through (and my bad imagination runs wild), please know I empathize with your pain and find the same comfort, joy and humorous pathos in this show.

Oh, I derailed the Chit Chat topic and didn't want another one where people feel like they have to say something, so I've been so hesitant to explain my recent flurry of posting. 

But now I've been annoyingly cryptic, and in re-reading it sounds like an attention grab, when I just felt like I had to, in this silly way, publicly honor how helpful the show has been to me by throwing in the security blanket line. 

So, yeah ... I had to have my cat put to sleep two weeks ago.  I cry at the drop of a fucking hat.  I hate the world.  By all accounts, this show is the last thing I should be subjecting myself to.  But it has become an obsession that is helping a bit, when little else is.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Oh, I derailed the Chit Chat topic and didn't want another one where people feel like they have to say something, so I've been so hesitant to explain my recent flurry of posting. 

But now I've been annoyingly cryptic, and in re-reading it sounds like an attention grab, when I just felt like I had to, in this silly way, publicly honor how helpful the show has been to me by throwing in the security blanket line. 

So, yeah ... I had to have my cat put to sleep two weeks ago.  I cry at the drop of a fucking hat.  I hate the world.  By all accounts, this show is the last thing I should be subjecting myself to.  But it has become an obsession that is helping a bit, when little else is.

You are reiterating every shame I ever felt for sharing my own personal agony about having to choose euthanasia for yet another kitty  -  Friday the 25th - totally unexpected.  I'm still a fucking wreck, and so are you, it would seem.  It is OK to share this particular sorrow, because the diverse people of PTV rally around the love for animals; if nothing else, they are mostly decent humans who understand our pain, and empathize with it.

I've posted WAY too much in far too many Small Talk forums - yet I received nothing but sincere empathy from everyone.

• Love 1

walnutqueen, I'm sorry you're going through this as well!  I'm really struggling, even more than usual; this is the first time in 30 years that I have gone through the loss of a cat without another cat to comfort me, and the cat-less house is so much worse than I remembered.

And then last night I met up with a friend for drinks, only to hear, "I haven't wanted to tell you this, but things are progressing fast so you need to know -- [mutual friend I haven't seen in nearly a year] has inoperable brain cancer."  She's only 39 years old.

I'd really like to put the world on pause right about now, and crawl under my covers for a few months.

• Love 3

walnutqueen, I'm sorry you're going through this as well!  I'm really struggling, even more than usual; this is the first time in 30 years that I have gone through the loss of a cat without another cat to comfort me, and the cat-less house is so much worse than I remembered.

And then last night I met up with a friend for drinks, only to hear, "I haven't wanted to tell you this, but things are progressing fast so you need to know -- [mutual friend I haven't seen in nearly a year] has inoperable brain cancer."  She's only 39 years old.

I'd really like to put the world on pause right about now, and crawl under my covers for a few months.

Bastet - the pain of your last loss is unimaginable to me.  I was blessed to be rescued by a kitten a little over a year before the first of my 4 senior cats passed away.  He has seen me through each subsequent loss, while mourning the loss of his "brothers" himself.  Even my latest Li'l Ole Man, who was an outdoor stray I spent a couple of years taming and trying hard to keep alive, was a loss to us both, since I had intended to make him my other indoor cat after getting him medical care.  Alas, now Babalu and I are alone again together, and my outdoor semi-ferals are missing their shy companion.  He had the most strikingly beautiful eyes I've seen - I used to call them Jackson Avery eyes.  :-)  :-(

I can also empathize with the pain of possibly losing your young friend, as my dear old Mum is battling a myriad of diseases (including inoperable lung cancer), and gets weaker each time I talk to her.  I want the world to stop and go way, too, but the cats & raccoons need feeding twice a day, and that keeps me coming out from under the covers.

Take care of yourself, my friend.  These are very dark days, indeed, and warrant a hellofalot of wallowing.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2

Bastet - the pain of your last loss is unimaginable to me.  I was blessed to be rescued by a kitten a little over a year before the first of my 4 senior cats passed away.  He has seen me through each subsequent loss, while mourning the loss of his "brothers" himself.  Even my latest Li'l Ole Man, who was an outdoor stray I spent a couple of years taming and trying hard to keep alive, was a loss to us both, since I had intended to make him my other indoor cat after getting him medical care.  Alas, now Babalu and I are alone again together, and my outdoor semi-ferals are missing their shy companion.  He had the most strikingly beautiful eyes I've seen - I used to call them Jackson Avery eyes.  :-)  :-(

I can also empathize with the pain of possibly losing your young friend, as my dear old Mum is battling a myriad of diseases (including inoperable lung cancer), and gets weaker each time I talk to her.  I want the world to stop and go way, too, but the cats & raccoons need feeding twice a day, and that keeps me coming out from under the covers.

Take care of yourself, my friend.  These are very dark days, indeed, and warrant a hellofalot of wallowing.

Bastet and Walnutqueen:

My heart goes out to both of you my dear virtual friends :(

• Love 2

Thank you both.  And walnutqueen, I'm sorry to hear about your mom.  It must be very hard on you to note the progressing weakness when you speak to her.  The only thing that's ever going to hurt me more than losing my cats is losing my parents.  My mom is in remission from metastatic breast cancer and my dad has picked up some heart problems this year, but they're both doing well.  Their cats keep them on their toes.  :-)

• Love 2

Oh, how nice.  I appreciate that.  It was just a real downer of a day yesterday -- mostly from little things, but it all just piled up on top of what I'm already slogging through.  Today is better.  And there is absolutely nothing I have to do today.  There is nothing that must be done before tomorrow, no one I need to see, nada, zilch.  I'm having a Bloody Mary, waiting for football to start, and anticipating a relaxing day of solitude.

• Love 2

Sunday, bloody Sunday.  I prefer Bloody Caesars and no sports (unless it's the Olympics), but it is hardly different than any other day now that I'm retired.  :-)

I am participating in another focus group for cat owners tomorrow morning (finally, something I HAVE to do), so I'm looking forward to some extra $s in my empty wallet.  I just hope nobody who was at the last group asks me about my cats, because I don't want to start sniveling in front of a bunch of strangers ...

• Love 1

Replying to jnymph about my "circumstances :

I am a recluse (by choice) with no heirs or nearby friends to care for the myriad of creatures I've chosen to nurture - as of now one remaining indoor cat, and a bunch of semi feral cats, generations of raccoons, birds, possum & skunk in my wild, wild backyard.   The older I get, the more afraid I become about their future should something befall me.  I want to find an "heir" to inherit this old dump and all my worldly treasures, if only said heir would promise to look after the animals I so dearly love.  The house could use some TLC, but it is in a perfect So Cal microclimate & convenient location, and will be paid for in a couple of years.  The animals are SUCH a delight - the "feral" cats  are mostly tame & loving, the raccoon raises her babies in my back yard every year and brings them to the back door to beg for treats in the middle of the night (she lays in the cat bed by the back window watching TV with me for hours, too!), and every creature thrives and gets along in this little slice of Paradise.  An enterprising person could probably sell off my jewelry & antiques to pay for the upgrades needed to make this place amazing, without destroying my legacy of living WITH the environment - i.e. no pesticides, herbicides, excess water or "landscaping".  The place was once one of the nicest houses in the neighborhood - back when I was fully abled; now it looks like the scary old unkempt dump it undoubtedly is - but it is an absolute Eden to all the creatures, and I fiercely love that.  Soooo - I'm accepting applications.  :-)

The focus group I attended yesterday was all about cat grass packaging (boring & predictable), but at the very end they introduced the concept of "Do-It-Yourself" pet vaccines.  A great money saving concept, for the most part, and really good for animals who might not get vaccinated otherwise.  But I was the only one who raised the spectre of proper disposal.  See, the packaging of a syringe and glass vial of vaccine had NO instructions about disposal and NO warnings.  As someone who went through my share of syringes and deadly cancer drugs with one of my kitties, I knew this could pose a major problem for the waste management stream.  The people leading the group didn't think it was an issue - but I imagined all these pet owners doing their own cheapo vaccines and then just throwing the remains in the garbage.  Any thoughts?

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

Replying to jnymph about my "circumstances :

I am a recluse (by choice) with no heirs or nearby friends to care for the myriad of creatures I've chosen to nurture - as of now one remaining indoor cat, and a bunch of semi feral cats, generations of raccoons, birds, possum & skunk in my wild, wild backyard. The older I get, the more afraid I become about their future should something befall me. I want to find an "heir" to inherit this old dump and all my worldly treasures, if only said heir would promise to look after the animals I so dearly love. The house could use some TLC, but it is in a perfect So Cal microclimate & convenient location, and will be paid for in a couple of years. The animals are SUCH a delight - the "feral" cats are mostly tame & loving, the raccoon raises her babies in my back yard every year and brings them to the back door to beg for treats in the middle of the night (she lays in the cat bed by the back window watching TV with me for hours, too!), and every creature thrives and gets along in this little slice of Paradise. An enterprising person could probably sell off my jewelry & antiques to pay for the upgrades needed to make this place amazing, without destroying my legacy of living WITH the environment - i.e. no pesticides, herbicides, excess water or "landscaping". The place was once one of the nicest houses in the neighborhood - back when I was fully abled; now it looks like the scary old unkempt dump it undoubtedly is - but it is an absolute Eden to all the creatures, and I fiercely love that. Soooo - I'm accepting applications. :-)

The focus group I attended yesterday was all about cat grass packaging (boring & predictable), but at the very end they introduced the concept of "Do-It-Yourself" pet vaccines. A great money saving concept, for the most part, and really good for animals who might not get vaccinated otherwise. But I was the only one who raised the spectre of proper disposal. See, the packaging of a syringe and glass vial of vaccine had NO instructions about disposal and NO warnings. As someone who went through my share of syringes and deadly cancer drugs with one of my kitties, I knew this could pose a major problem for the waste management stream. The people leading the group didn't think it was an issue - but I imagined all these pet owners doing their own cheapo vaccines and then just throwing the remains in the garbage. Any thoughts?

Wow your menagerie of animals sounds so sweet :) and how good of you to worry about their care should something happen to you !

Have you researched animal rescue sites to post your concerns for your little slice o heaven?

I'd think many people would be interested!

I have no idea on the do it yourself vaccines but I can see why you question the disposal

I really liked reading about your animals :) it brightened my corporate drone blah kinda day

• Love 1

Wow your menagerie of animals sounds so sweet :) and how good of you to worry about their care should something happen to you !

Have you researched animal rescue sites to post your concerns for your little slice o heaven?

I'd think many people would be interested!

I have no idea on the do it yourself vaccines but I can see why you question the disposal

I really liked reading about your animals :) it brightened my corporate drone blah kinda day

Oh, you haven't travelled in the Small Talk circles where I wax poetic about my adorkable baby raccoons?  Mama keeps them safe in my impenetrable back yard jungle/junkyard through the toddler stage.  My current batch are less shy than their former sibs, and beg unabashedly at the back door for hot dog treats (a Tia Torres trick I learned).  They ever so delicately take them from my fingers with their gentle little paws, trilling with delight, yet squealing and grunting ferociously at each other should one try to snack out of turn.  Their little sweet faces are the wind beneath my wings.  :-)

Last year one of the babies was totally fascinated by my big honkin' wind chimes (they sound like church bells, and don't chime unless the wind reaches stormy gusts).  He/she used to sit underneath the chimes, balance on hindquarters to ring the clapper, and then close his/her eyes and sway the head like Stevie Wonder listening to the music.  It was hilarious, and would've mad e the best YouTube video (no camera, though, so I need to use my WORDS!).

OK, my good deed for the corporate drone world is done, now.  :-D

• Love 2

Last year one of the babies was totally fascinated by my big honkin' wind chimes (they sound like church bells, and don't chime unless the wind reaches stormy gusts). He/she used to sit underneath the chimes, balance on hindquarters to ring the clapper, and then close his/her eyes and sway the head like Stevie Wonder listening to the music. It was hilarious, and would've mad e the best YouTube video

:-D

LOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!!

• Love 1

I'm watching an old episode from when they were in California.

Does anybody have the scoop on what happened with Tia's husband? In the episode I'm watching they're showing his trial, you know the one where the life long criminal was totally innocent and did nothing wrong (yeah, right).

She used to talk about him all the time and now she says nothing. I wonder how she visits him with him being locked up in California and her being in Louisiana now.

Has there been any word on him? Are they still married?

There's a dog lost in my neighborhood who escaped this morning, and I was working out of my home office (so that this afternoon I could go do the afternoon meds/fluids routine for my friend's sick kitty as she had meetings she couldn't miss), so I set out to search.  I didn't find her, unfortunately, but I post to say I had Tia in my head the whole time I was walking and then driving around.  I had hot dogs on hand to coax her to me should I find her, knew to look on porches and down driveways, and even called, "Here, pup pup" a few times even though I knew the dog's name and was mostly using that (in baby voice, of course; mine is well developed from a lifetime of cat guardianship).  The only thing I didn't have was a leash slung across my body, but I rather wished I had one.  (Although, this is a small dog, and I did have a towel should I need to wrap her up.)

• Love 2

There's a dog lost in my neighborhood who escaped this morning, and I was working out of my home office (so that this afternoon I could go do the afternoon meds/fluids routine for my friend's sick kitty as she had meetings she couldn't miss), so I set out to search.  I didn't find her, unfortunately, but I post to say I had Tia in my head the whole time I was walking and then driving around.  I had hot dogs on hand to coax her to me should I find her, knew to look on porches and down driveways, and even called, "Here, pup pup" a few times even though I knew the dog's name and was mostly using that (in baby voice, of course; mine is well developed from a lifetime of cat guardianship).  The only thing I didn't have was a leash slung across my body, but I rather wished I had one.  (Although, this is a small dog, and I did have a towel should I need to wrap her up.)

HOpe you find the lost dog! :(  

I know what you're saying on thinking of Tia.  Not too long ago I was thinking of her in a situation I was in as well.   I was thinking "WWTD"?

Here's what happened:

There is an awfully skinny boxer mix behind a chained link fence in our neighborhood. (Never seen him before, so he must be someone's new pet?)

Now, I know boxers are naturally skinny, but this guy seems unattended much of the time, and I don't see any water nearby.  We live in Florida, hence it gets very HOT, so I was getting increasingly worried about the poor guy.   When I walked my girl past him, he's very quiet but seems interested in us.  

I couldn't get him out of my head.  No water, skinny and seemed so lonely !   I thought to myself "What would Tia do?"   And it came to me.  She would knock on the door and express concern about the dog in a very non judgmental type way.  So I did just that. (wasn't easy for me as I converse better with animals than i do with people LOL)    The nicest handicapped elderly lady came to the door.   She said the dog "Titan" was her daughters and that her daughter, granddaughter and Titan has come to live with her temporarily.   She said he's ok and she is sure that he gets water (she insisted it was back there.  Maybe it was out of sight for me?)   She said firmly, but nicely, "Titan is OK. I assure you."  I think she *knew* I was suspecting some type of neglect.   So to make a long story short,  we exchanged thank you's and I let her know which house was mine if she needed any assistance with Titan. 

I like to think I role modeled myself after Tia that day !    She's an inspiration ! 

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 1

The lost dog I posted about was turned into the shelter, and is now back with her owner.

I used to live next door to people who had a sweet, friendly dog - some sort of lab/pit mix I think - whom they never, ever walked or really gave any mental/physical stimulation.  Instead of going next door and saying, "Hey, assholes, your dog's world needs to consist of more than your backyard," I went next door and said, "I need motivation to stick to my evening walk routine, Kobe seems to like me, and I'm used to handling my best friend's labs; can I take him with me?  If he's counting on me, I'm far less apt to just plop down on the couch with a glass of wine instead."  Worked like a charm.  I'd talk to them about how much he enjoyed it, and they'd comment on the difference they could see in him.  They moved a couple of years later, and I just had to hope they kept it up.

• Love 4

I'm happy the dog found her family. Shows like this have made me put an extra leash in my husband and daughter's cars, since those are the cars I'm in most. I also always keep dog treats in my bag.

This show also made me microchip all of my pets. It should be mandatory.

(edited)

I need to get one of those leashes and put it in my car, because I just had to get my Tia on again today.

My floor jack doesn't work (which pisses me off, because I replaced the gaskets and fluid, but it still won't reliably hold, so now I have to buy a new one, because the one thing you don't want to be unsure of is the thing keeping a car from falling on your head), so I took my car over to my parents' house to change the oil.  My dad was doing it for me, and I was standing out in the open garage when two dogs wandered up the street.  I could see they had collars and could hear tags, but there were no owners.  I got one to come to me, but he took off before I could get a look at the tag.  A guy in a passing car stopped to say he'd had to call the owners of those dogs a couple of weeks ago because they were out, and told me what street but couldn't remember the house.

So I trailed after the dogs, but they were too far ahead of me further up into the hills (they can move a lot faster up a steep hill than I can).  The first one came back, and I got a name and number.  I called, but had to leave voice mail.  So I clipped the cat leash (onto this large dog, which was funny) and headed back up the hill with him to see if he could help me find his buddy.  After a bit of a hike, we did, and the other dog dutifully followed us back.  I enclosed them in my parents' backyard (much to the cats' consternation), and found an address on the second dog's tag.  So I walked down there (about half a mile, so these dogs had traversed some decent territory all told) to see if anyone was home or, if not, if there was a gate I could open to put them in the yard.  I came up to see a U-Haul type truck in the driveway, and my heart sunk thinking they were moving and leaving these older, large, mixed-breed dogs behind (the kind that have no chance in the local shelter). 

But it turned out they were moving in new furniture and moving out old, not leaving.  They thought the dogs were in a secure part of the yard, and had no idea they'd gotten out.  She drove me back to my parents' house and collected the dogs.  I maintained my Tia attitude and talked nicely about how they could better secure the yard (since this now at least the second time it has happened) and it went well.  So we'll see.  Going by their attitude and the dogs' condition, the dogs are in a decent to pretty good home.  Not the best one, but the best they're going to get.  At least they're now familiar with my parents' yard; if they get out again, they'll probably come there.  When I was walking them back to my parents' house, instead of continuing down the street as they would to go home, the one I'd leashed turned right into my parents' driveway.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
(edited)

I did a similar thing with a beautiful husky who was running loose in the middle of my street one morning.  After walking him all over the neighborhood on a flimsy cat leash trying to find his home, I brought him inside (much to the displeasure of my cat, who hid under a couch for the afternoon).  Doggie and I went out to put up flyers later, and a guy in a passing car told me it was his sister's dog.  The whole family had been` home ALL DAY and never even noticed their dog was missing!   No wonder he was so cuddly and loving with me - he was finally getting the attention he craved.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1
(edited)

LOL.  No, the leash has only been used when getting cats used to the outdoors, or getting them used to staying in the backyard rather than venturing forth to the outdoors at large whence they wandered in (after they do either one, they get supervised outdoor time), or when we've taken a cat in the motor home with us; then they do get walked on a leash, but just around the campsite.  I've never had one who wanted to be taken on a proper walk, but that would be fun.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
(edited)

When my Babalu was a kitten, he went everywhere with me - often in my purse - so he was on a harness and walked on a leash (especially in Petsmart, where he picked out his own cat toys).  Babalu also loved the car & would loll around on the dashboard or sit on my shoulder while I drove.  As he got older, he grew out of it, though - probably because I retired and was busy looking after his older sick "brothers".  If you train them early enough and stick to it, you can teach cats all sorts of neat stuff.  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2

For those who have Netflix streaming (I don't, but my parents do and I'm kitty sitting for two weeks, so I'm working my way through my list), The Champions is available; this is the documentary about the rehabilitation of the pit bulls rescued from Michael Vick's dog-fighting operation.  I'm debating whether to watch it tonight; I may need to wait for a night when I can have multiple drinks.

Also available is a documentary called Dogs on the Inside, about one of the programs similar to what we've seen on the show, where inmates are taught how to socialize and train dogs, and then serve as foster homes to rescued dogs, getting them ready for adoption.  It never fails to make me angry that such programs are not in place across the country.  They are so good for the dogs, and so good for the inmates; it chaps my ass that our penal system has basically tossed the rehabilitation aspect of imprisonment into the shitter and focused almost exclusively on the punishment portion -- that helps neither the inmates nor the society they'll be released back into.

• Love 3

I have seen the movie "The Champions" and HIGHLY recommend that you see it. Thankfully it doesn't dwell much on MV but really shows the effort that the rescue groups made to save the dogs. It was wonderful to see the progress the dogs have made over time. The movie featured several dogs; Cherry, Handsome Dan, Mel, & Lil Red. Just seeing where Cherry was in the beginning to now being a loving (and loved) family member brought happy tears to my eyes.

These dogs changed the way fighting dogs are treated. Dogs are now given a chance instead of being euthanized immediately. It was a little sad when they talked about the dogs that have passed because of age related illness. They are gone but not forgotten.

• Love 2

Yeah, I wound up pouring another drink and going for it.  It was well done, and far more uplifting than depressing/infuriating. 

One of the many things I've always admired about Tia is her basic stance on dogs with issues: for some, euthanasia is the most humane option, for some more, they can never be placed in a home but can live a happy life at a sanctuary, and for most, with some work they can be wonderful companions in an appropriate home.  She gives them the time to calm down and be properly evaluated before deciding what category they're in, then more time for the last group to determine what kind of home they need.

That's the stance we see play out in the film, and the results with the "Vicktory" dogs indeed changed things nationwide.  Even HSUS changed its stance (not PETA, but in general they've lost their grasp on reality and no one listens to them anyway).  Best Friends has the (well-earned) reputation and the resources, and I'm so glad they took this on, not just for the individual dogs but for the many other dogs who now have a chance because of the changed attitude following the success of this project. 

I think anyone who likes this show will enjoy the documentary, so I recommend it.

• Love 3

By the VRC Facebook page, it looks like they're fine.  The Assumption Parish shelter was rather surrounded by tornadoes yesterday, but came through unscathed.  There's nothing posted specifically about the warehouse, but there are several business as usual posts from yesterday and today, so I think things are fine all around.

• Love 3

Tia put out a plea for donations recently; with how many dogs they have, it is now costing them over $10,000 per DAY to run the place, and between the usual "out of sight, out of mind" drop-off in donations when they're not on the air and the usual decrease this time of year as people focus on holiday spending, it's a particularly hard time for VRC.  With the scope of the problem in Louisiana, they bit off more than they can chew - they take in so many more dogs than they adopt out, and virtually all of them require heartworm treatment and many of them need additional veterinary care because of the condition they were left in.  Add in food, employees, keeping the lights on, etc. and they're overwhelmed.

She said she assumes donations will pick up when they're on the air again, because that's how it always goes, but between now and January (when the show starts up again) they are in more dire need of financial help than they've ever been.  There is a link on the VRC homepage where we can make donations, so if any viewers have been meaning to donate but haven't, now is the time to do it if you're able.

Here's an excerpt from her post (originating on the VRC Facebook page, I believe; it was emailed to me by a friend who uses Facebook):

It is in situations like this, that I think about the "good ole days", when life was much easier for us. Less dogs, less responsibilities, less heartbreak. Back in California we only had around 150 dogs. And how sad that I say "only".

But then I look over at my bed and see my main guys: Lucky and Jethro cuddled up under my blankets and realize that without our move to Louisiana, I would've never met them. I watch out my window at the dogs running free in the exercise yards that only days before were chained up in the woods, mere skeletons with skin stretched over them.

And yes, our medical/vet bills take up a good chunk of our expenses. But when I think about some of these dogs that would've died alone out in the heat and the pouring rain...well, as difficult as life is for me, my kids and my workers now...we know that this is where we are needed.

But truth be told and bruised egos put aside...we have bitten off more than we can chew and there is no turning back now.

Times are extremely tough for VRC right now. Again any spare change, even a dollar (it all adds up) would be so appreciated. We know that it's probably not possible to bring in $10K a day in donations but there are times when we don't even come close to that in a week. We need your help, your support, your understanding.

Ugh....it took a lot for me to write this. I normally do not pour my heart out but today, I have to swallow my pride and ask for the sake of our dogs.

• Love 2
On 12/4/2017 at 6:32 PM, Bastet said:

Tia put out a plea for donations recently; with how many dogs they have, it is now costing them over $10,000 per DAY to run the place, and between the usual "out of sight, out of mind" drop-off in donations when they're not on the air and the usual decrease this time of year as people focus on holiday spending, it's a particularly hard time for VRC.  With the scope of the problem in Louisiana, they bit off more than they can chew - they take in so many more dogs than they adopt out, and virtually all of them require heartworm treatment and many of them need additional veterinary care because of the condition they were left in.  Add in food, employees, keeping the lights on, etc. and they're overwhelmed.

She said she assumes donations will pick up when they're on the air again, because that's how it always goes, but between now and January (when the show starts up again) they are in more dire need of financial help than they've ever been.  There is a link on the VRC homepage where we can make donations, so if any viewers have been meaning to donate but haven't, now is the time to do it if you're able.

Here's an excerpt from her post (originating on the VRC Facebook page, I believe; it was emailed to me by a friend who uses Facebook):

Thanks for posting this.  I will donate what I can.  

It's so heartbreaking. 

I just started sponsoring a Villalobos dog in January. Her name is Ollie Belle.  As a thank you, I received a photo of her thanking me for sponsoring her, along with a postcard of Tia and Lucky that Tia autographed! I am thrilled and glad I can help out in some very small way.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Happy Belly said:

I’m jealous! lol Have a great time and I hope you get to meet her!

JUST HEARD it is POSTPONED !  :(  I'm so mad ...........  apparently the venue did not "know" they were affiliated with Pitbulls and Parolees. What the ???  I believe it was scheduled to be somewhere on the campus of FAU.  (don't mark my words on that.)  

The latest news from the Villalobos page is that they are searching frantically to find another site/venue.     I wish/hope they could sue for breach of contract or something. : (      To meet Tia is on my bucket list. :\

I think it was both. Don't know how the group putting the original event couldn't see from the name what they were about. So sad and judgemental, the show actually does a wonderful job in showing that you can't judge a book by its cover. Tia  has done so much to educate people about the pit mixes and parolees.

• Love 4