Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The John Gotti of Seven Oaks

• Start Topic

Synopsis:

Cam is thrown by a shocking discovery and the police rush to unravel what really happened under the bridge.

Josephine makes a deal with Rebecca while a look into the past reveals Reena's first rebellion.

Air Date: April 17, 2024

I'm bracing for all the tragedy barreling toward us, but I'm here for all 8 episodes. (It is 8, right?)

In the past, Riley Keough has shown a brave willingness to portray characters who could very easily dive headfirst into unlikable territory. This is no exception.

And I've never seen the actress who plays Josephine before, but her Michelle-Williams-spliced-with-Natalie-Dormer vibe is fascinating.

• Like 2

The aerial shot of black water triggers an eerie feeling. 😥

Reena makes unfortunate, fatal mistakes by stealing Josephine’s diary and spreading rumors about her, trying to shake the power dynamic between them.

Josephine has a delusion of grandeur. She shamelessly calls Reena a wannabe when she is also a wannabe.  She wants to make a name for herself with an all-girl gang - CMC (Crip Mafia Cartel). The need to create this other “family” is rooted from her abandonment issues.

Josephine brags to Rebecca about torturing and killing Reena but we know there’s more to that. Reena’s pants (or is it underpants?) that the diver found doesn’t fit into that narrative.

We know that Reena temporarily stayed at the group home at some point but we don’t know why. And then there’s a letter from the Crown about her father’s record being expunged. What happened in the Virks household?

Reena is belittled by her peers and misunderstood at home. Her mother thinks her attempts to fit in are paganism.

“This fixation on worldly things, it’s paganism.”

“What’s pagan about being born?”

Archie Panjabi seems to be playing a thankless role in the first 2 episodes. Hope she’ll have better materials to work with in incoming episodes.

After 2 episodes, am still not interested in Rebecca’s character.

• Like 2

This is a really tough show to watch. The story is horrifying, as it is everything about kids' violence. 
I am not really sure I will keep watching. It is well made, Lily is AMAZING as usual, but I am not sure I will be able to handle if they show what really happened to Reena. The whole thing is so damn depressing...
So far the weakest link is the character of Rebecca, I do not think it is the actress (Elvis granddaughter, I did not know), I think it is her story or the way they decided to portray her.

34 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

but I am not sure I will be able to handle if they show what really happened to Reena. The whole thing is so damn depressing...

According to the reviews…

Spoiler

The series is careful not to show the murder visually.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

According to the reviews…

Hide contents

The series is careful not to show the murder visually.

oh, thanks for that... I mean even guessing what happened it is so so so disturbing!

• Hugs 1

If the show somehow manages to keep up the intensity of these first couple episodes, this'll be a bumpy ride.

I like it a lot.  Riley Keough (The Girlfriend Project) seldom disappoints.  Even in mediocrity like Daisy Jones and the Six she manages to rise above the material.

You ever wonder why all kinds of bad shit happens beside running water?  Rivers, especially?  There must be some primal, anthropological reason.   This series reminds of River's Edge with Keanu Reeves and Creepy Crispin Glover.

• Like 1

Josephine tells Rebecca how she beat Reena and then later  pushed her over the railing. Was she telling the truth? Dusty was really shook.  This series is going to be intense. 

2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Josephine tells Rebecca how she beat Reena and then later  pushed her over the railing. Was she telling the truth? Dusty was really shook.  This series is going to be intense. 

Near the end of the episode when the girls watch the news on TV, Josephine looked surprised and said something like "wtf, she is dead?". I think she is just playing it being cruel and lethal because of her mafia obsession. 

• Useful 1
On 4/17/2024 at 7:15 PM, Wickedeve said:

And I've never seen the actress who plays Josephine before, but her Michelle-Williams-spliced-with-Natalie-Dormer vibe is fascinating.

Perfectly said.

On 4/19/2024 at 6:42 PM, Straycat80 said:

Was she telling the truth?

Partially.  First half of the story is true, second half is lies for clout.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
On 4/19/2024 at 8:42 PM, Straycat80 said:

I think Cam's race from the river to the house and arriving after midnight proved that Josephine was lying about pushing Reena over the bridge.  Dusty said Jo came in a little after her (11:45) but the doors were locked at midnight.  There was no way Jo could have made it back to the house before the doors were locked had she still been at the river that late.  That's why Cam was angry and hitting the steering wheel at the end; she still doesn't know what happened to Reena.

At least that's what I think was going on.

The actress is doing a fantastic job, but man, that girl (Jo) is awful.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 4/21/2024 at 9:42 AM, TattleTeeny said:

This is driving me crazy: Saanich. I cannot figure out what I watched semi-recently that was also set in Saanich and I am going to lose my mind.

I had a ham Saanich for lunch.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

No! I am so mad at me! But I feel like it was almost surely either a crime drama (possibly something in the vein of The Sinner or Cruel Summer) or a true crime doc. Aesthetically, I am picturing gray and dismal. I am trying to recall if I have ever seen an episode of any number of true crime shows that maybe covered this particular story, but that could be anything...

Edited by TattleTeeny
On 4/26/2024 at 10:46 PM, TattleTeeny said:

No! I am so mad at me! But I feel like it was almost surely either a crime drama (possibly something in the vein of The Sinner or Cruel Summer) or a true crime doc. Aesthetically, I am picturing gray and dismal. I am trying to recall if I have ever seen an episode of any number of true crime shows that maybe covered this particular story, but that could be anything...

I googled "what shows covered Saanich murder" and this came up. It was a Dateline show from 2010, but I know old Datelines seem to pop up at times (on the ID Network?) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3163612/

• Love 1