Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Don't Yet Rejoice

• Start Topic

kate-winslet-matthias-schoenaerts_0.jpg?

(Season Finale)

With the palace walls now breached, Elena and Zubak find themselves on the run – and seeking help from an everyday citizen – to evade capture by the rebels. Later, Elena leverages her skills in diplomacy – and duplicity – in a last-ditch effort to stay in power.

Premiere Date: Sunday, April 7, 2024   HBO   9pm     

kate-winslet-matthias-schoenaerts_2.jpg?

I'm one of the relatively few who stuck with this show until the end. Overall, I thought it was OK, but it doesn't merit a 2nd season. It's like the show couldn't decide where to put its focus (political farce vs. psycho-sexual romantic tragedy) and as a result the narrative was spread too thin. Expecting the audience to care what happened to these two terrible people might have been a bridge too far, too.

Still, Kate Winslet's performance was typical, which is to say, excellent. And Matthias Schoenaerts did a job with the material he was given, where he had three stage directions (growl, bark, whimper). I look forward to them both being in other projects.

• Like 4

It changed from palace satire to some kind of action/survival for a bit and then back as Elena regains power, plays ball with the Americans.

Herbert took a shot to the face or head yet he’s perfectly embalmed or has been done up by a taxidermist like animal trophies?

Will Tracy refers to the interrogations being inspired by Solzhenitsyn.  Like viewers are suppose to recognize that?  Probably some references to Ceaucescu and other Eastern Bloc figures too.

Still not sure what to make of it.

I wasn't much of a Winslet fan until I saw her in Mare of Easttown, and now this, which held my interest. I think her character's ridiculousness - nonchalantly getting her chest massaged in front of everyone at the breakfast table! - and the palace toadies were the key. A great ensemble cast - nobody does unctuous like David Bamber (Mr. Collins the vicar in the 1995 Pride & Prejudice). And I covet that red silk shantung dress.

• Like 2
On 4/19/2024 at 11:49 PM, jcin617 said:

I just want to know what happened to poor Oskar.

Absolutely! I also wanted some recognition from Elena that Agnes wasn't there anymore - not that she "defected" but that she actually died as a result of Elena's stupidity.