Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: The Princess and the Pea Brain

• Start Topic

Cultures clash as Mahmoud joins Nicole in LA; Emily and Kobe are met with chaos in Cameroon; Manuel's secrecy causes suspicion; Gino's error means trouble for Jasmine's kids; Ed and Liz embrace a fresh start; Sophie reveals her next step with Rob.

Air date: 3/24/24

I was wondering when the problem of bringing Jasmine's kids to the U.S. was going to come up.

I did some research over a year ago (when Jasmine was still in Panama) regarding the process of K-1 visa applicants bringing their children to the U.S., and one of the first things I read is the children must be listed on the K-1 visa application. (IIRC this was after Jasmine mentioned bringing her kids in an episode).

Honestly, this boggles my mind. I will never need the information about K-1 visas or the immigration process for K-1 visa holders, but I'm curious to learn more about things I know nothing about.

I recall it took me less than five minutes to discover the rule requiring the children be listed on the K-1 visa application. Most likely I entered this or something very close to it in Google search:

how can a "k-1" "visa" applicant bring their "children" to the "U.S."

(Any word enclosed in quotation marks must appear in every search result).

When I do that search today, the second result is a source for applying for K-2 visas (which is the type of visa that's issued to the children of K-1 visa holders to bring them to the U.S.).

At that source, in large, boldface type, it says:

K-2 Visa Step One: U.S. Citizen Includes Names on Parent's Form I-129F

Why wouldn't a K-1 visa applicant who wants to bring their children to the U.S., or the fiancé of a K-1 visa applicant who will be taking an active part in bringing their fiancée's/spouse's children to the U.S., not take 5 minutes to see what steps must be taken to do that?

I refuse to put all the blame for this problem on Gino. Jasmine speaks English quite well, and I'll bet she's able to read and write English adequately too. 

The same websites that came up as results from my Google search would have been available to her in Panama as well, and they're written in simple language, not legalese. 

There's absolutely no reason why Jasmine couldn't have learned about the K-2 visa process herself, instead of putting all the responsibility on Gino — and the blame should something go wrong.

But then again, it's hard to concentrate on learning how to get your kids to the U.S. when you're desperately scraping together the extra money you need for your life-saving butt implants surgery... 

• Like 6
  • Useful 3

I suspect it's the usual just for the storyline scenario.    No way Gino and Jasmine didn't know about the visa for the kids, but it also would require the consent of both parents.    And the kids have to be under a certain age to qualify too.   

• Like 1

I said on another thread that it's all for the storyline, she mentioned them all of twice per season previously so obviously they were the most important people in her life.

• Like 1

Gino & Jasmine---I also suspect this is just to create a dramatic storyline. The reality is that her ex probably would not consent to them leaving Panama, so they decided to spin that into the existing narrative of Gino being such a cheap ass he insisted on doing it all without a lawyer. FF'd most of their scenes. 

Rob and Sophie---I felt for her when she described her childhood and her mom's issues with addiction. She is very immature in terms of how she is handling her marriage, but it sounds like she has no idea what a stable, healthy relationship is even supposed to look like. Even now, her Mom isn't a great role model in that regard. Rob is no prize either when it comes to maturity, but he is correct that she needs to face their issues and work at it, or just call it quits and end it. None of this back and forth BS. 

I could go my whole life without seeing Ed and Liz....now her poor sweet daughter is in the toxic mix. Ed hasn't changed a bit. Good luck with that Liz. 

Mahmoud and Nicole---I have to keep reminding myself that this woman is 40 FFS. He is in the closet, and will probably always stay that way given his upbringing and where he lives. Predict he will haul ass home before the tell all. He has zero interest in building a life in the US, or in her. It was very unreasonable of her however to bitch at him about not sleeping on the flight. Sometimes you just can't do it! 

• Like 5

I can't sleep sitting up on a plane so if I want to sleep on international flights I  just go business class so I can get the lay flat seats but I doubt very much that Mahmoud flew anything but economy & it was probably his first time flying so very doubtful he would be sleeping anyway what with nerves & the noise, they all take getting used to. 

4 hours ago, Stuckathome said:

<snip> [Mahmoud] is in the closet, and will probably always stay that way given his upbringing and where he lives. <snip>

I'm having a hard time understanding why you think Mahmoud is a closeted gay man. Can you walk me through your thought process? 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Oh, that was painful.

Someone convince me that Nicole didn't deliberately hang up a nude picture and have that female mannequin front and center on purpose.  Same with her attire and hair.  I call that "poking the bear".

Mahmood looks like he's already gonzo.  His expression was "I hate this; what am I doing here?'"  I don't think he even likes Nicole.

Know who else is gonzo-that guy from Ecuador that the witch married (it's late; I can't recall names).  Dollars to donuts he's just socking away the money for himself.  Why did this dingbat marry him if he was keeping secrets?  He looks like he can't wait to be out of there.

Rob and Sophie-tha's painful too.  In a way, they deserve one another.  My mother advised me to take a good look at the man I was going to marry.  What you see is what you get, and assume he ain't changing anything for you no matter how much you wish it. 

If you can't trust him, if he's not acting as you would want him to, assume not only is he not changing, he's going to get worse.  That goes for big things like lack of fidelity, as well as the little things like my husband's  leaving the toilet paper roll next to the holder, or his socks on the bathroom floor.  Twenty-seven years of  toilet paper spools and socks.  The difference is, I knew it going in and didn't try to change him (much).  Rob is happy with how Rob is, and has no idea what Sophie wants.  I don't even think Sophie knows what she wants.

Big Ed and Liz-only thing bearable is the kid.  That's done, so what's the point?

There's also no way Jasmine didn't know how to do the visa for her kids.  If it were my kids, I wouldn't have left my home country until I knew it was filed correctly (well I wouldn't have left my kids, but beside the point).  This is all in the meme of Gino is a cheapskate, and Jasmine gets to blow up and ugly cry.  Girlfriend, here again you should have demanded that you do that with an attorney or no go.  

I wonder if these two are actually really broken up and are just faking it.  She's a nut, and Gino looks like a broke Fozzie Bear.

I nearly forgot-anyone remember that American woman, something Bear, who married the English felon?  I thought the reason she couldn't go there was because her ex wouldn't allow her to take their child to England.  Isn't it the same issue when it comes to Jasmine's kids?

I don't see why it was such a huge issue for Emily's family to buy all those clothes before meeting the parents the first time.  I actually agreed with Emily-it's like a costume, because she has no knowledge of the culture behind those clothes.  It would be ridiculous and offensive for me to wear a kimono in Japan just to "respect the culture", for example.  Later, with background and education behind it, and with help to do it right, maybe?

Edited by AR Traveler
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, AR Traveler said:

Oh, that was painful.

Someone convince me that Nicole didn't deliberately hang up a nude picture and have that female mannequin front and center on purpose.  Same with her attire and hair.  I call that "poking the bear".

Yes, and greeting him with "kiss me you M**F**er" and trying to climb all over him at the airport.  She's making a point that things are different in America.  He will see that for himself.  I think if she had been a little more discreet and tried to be just a bit more understated then he would see how she's trying. But no, she's got to flaunt her FREEDOM.

Rob and Sophie-tha's painful too.  In a way, they deserve one another.  My mother advised me to take a good look at the man I was going to marry.  What you see is what you get, and assume he ain't changing anything for you no matter how much you wish it. 

I don't get the move to TX.  Was it because Sophie knows Kae there and her mother has a boyfriend there?  Just seems to random.  They both have a lot of growing up to do.  And you do NOT marry someone expecting them to change.

Big Ed and Liz-only thing bearable is the kid.  That's done, so what's the point?

FF their segments.  Can't stand it.

There's also no way Jasmine didn't know how to do the visa for her kids.  If it were my kids, I wouldn't have left my home country until I knew it was filed correctly (well I wouldn't have left my kids, but beside the point).  This is all in the meme of Gino is a cheapskate, and Jasmine gets to blow up and ugly cry.  Girlfriend, here again you should have demanded that you do that with an attorney or no go. 

Can one even apply for a resident Visa for a child if they don't have primary custody?  What's with Jasmine?  She was living with her "sister" in that luxury apartment in Panama with hardly any mention of her precious children, and NOW they're so important?  Story drama.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I'm having a hard time understanding why you think Mahmoud is a closeted gay man. Can you walk me through your thought process? 

Yes to be fair this is my opinion—-he is either a closet gay man or a very effeminate straight man who has zero chemistry with his wife and who’s brother said never showed any interest in women or marriage in his 30plus years on earth. Doesn’t matter either way this marriage is doomed

22 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Yes to be fair this is my opinion—-he is either a closet gay man or a very effeminate straight man who has zero chemistry with his wife and who’s brother said never showed any interest in women or marriage in his 30plus years on earth. Doesn’t matter either way this marriage is doomed…

also predicting that at some point this season Sophie and her friend will hook up. 

• Like 2

@AR Traveler...I remember the English guy and the Arizona gal who met on a karaoke website. He took on the long distance co-parenting of her out-of-wedlock child before she was even born. Her ex-husband was not having their older child go off to England to be raised by a felon. Rock, meet Hard Place. To me their story was heartbreaking because they seemed to be truly in love. Unlike Gino & Jasmine who can't agree on anything for more than 2 minutes. Jasmine gave up nothing for her children !!  And would Gino have the patience and finances to care for a child with severe learning disabilities ?? Gino does seem like a kind, if hapless soul. Jasmine certainly wasn't taking charge of her son's care previously. Although now her story has changed to " my children are with my mother". 

Lying liars are gonna lie.

• Like 2

If Jasmine's kids are with her mother why doesn't she talk to them when she calls? She asks her mother and sister how the kids are but doesn't address them directly.

• Applause 3