Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: Medical Boards

• Start Topic

(edited)

Main Topic: Medical Boards

Also: Vice President Harris and Gaza; Mark Robinson; C-Span callers show once again why they’re America at its best; people on TV like to talk about their big fuckin’ heads

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 4

So. Mark Robison. Holy. Shit. I don't even know where to begin with that segment other than WHY ARE PEOPLE THIS INSANE EVEN ALLOWED IN OFFICE? Good lord, North Caroline, get him the fuck out of there. 

There was a show on the Oxygen network called "License to Kill" that covered doctors who committed malpractice, some of which led to patients' deaths, and I've seen other true crime stories about those kinds of doctors, too, so on the one hand, this sgement is not surprisng and explains a LOT about why so many of those awful doctors were able to get by with their crimes for so long.

On the other hand, it's also surprising and frustrating in terms of how it's these little cracks that make it so easy for doctors to sneak through. Illinois went so far as to state that one doctor proved an imminent danger to the public at large...but apparently he wasn't THAT imminent a threat to where he shoud've been completey barred from ever being able to practice again. What the hell? The sneaky way they get around the 30 day window is pretty insane as well. 

It's so insane that organizatiosn and investigative boards liek this struggle with being properly funded. And the whole thing of doctors overseeing these investigatiosn, with no input from other groups of people to help balance things out...very reminiscent of Boeing investigating itself in the segment last week. 

At least there is some reassurance in that most doctors are trustworthy, responsible people whom people don't have to worry about, but yeah, the fact it's an issue at all is unsettling, to say the least. 

In other topics, I feel like "One Tree Hill", "Melrose Place", and "911 Lone Star" could team up to create the most batshit crazy medical drama imaginable :p. 

And the C-SPAN segment. Just. What? Why?

• Like 4
(edited)

Okay episode, but let’s talk about Mark Robinson. Are there any fans of The Boondocks reading this? Is it bad that I’d want a tuba player following that asshole at all times? Just a big-ass pile of WHAT THE FUCK?!? that hopefully doesn’t make it to a high office.

911: Lone Star caved-in chest FTW. Nice clip from Melrose Place as well, since I’ve never watched the show. And I had just watched a segment on Ridiculousness centered on wig-snatching.

ETA: Normally, I’d grouse over HBO needing to show Curb Your Enthusiasm twice and push LWT past 11:00 . . . but with the Oscars on, an 11:20 start time was probably for the best.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 3

Yes, Mark Robinson espouses horrible opinions, but also notice that his congregation and other pastors seem to agree. Plus, of course, people outside his church openly agree with him.

The moment John stated what the main story was, I thought of the PeacockTV series, Dr. Death. The first season was about that doctor in TX that John referenced. True stories, but also 'unbelievable.' 

10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And the C-SPAN segment. Just. What? Why?

I guess word got out that you can call in and say anything you want. Talking about penises seems to be the agreed upon prank.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yes, Mark Robinson espouses horrible opinions, but also notice that his congregation and other pastors seem to agree. Plus, of course, people outside his church openly agree with him.

Sadly I think he will probably win. That's pretty much the perfect state to elect him Governor. 

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I guess word got out that you can call in and say anything you want. Talking about penises seems to be the agreed upon prank.

Yeah I think some people were just clowning them like mad. 

• Useful 1

Saddest thing about the Mark Robinson segment: When Robinson was shown putting down women in his speech -- saying they should never be allowed to lead anything -- some of the cheering sounded distinctly female. 😢

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Maybe those callers should hang out with the TV hosts talking about their big heads :p. 

But yeah. What a bizarre segment. Kudos to the people fielding the calls for staying so unfazed by it all :p. 

38 minutes ago, arachne said:

Saddest thing about the Mark Robinson segment: When Robinson was shown putting down women in his speech -- saying they should never be allowed to lead anything -- some of the cheering sounded distinctly female. 😢

It's like the women who were out there happily supporting anti-abortion candidates. And those women are now shocked, shocked, I tell you, by these IVF rulings and things of that will affect them alongside all the other reproductive restrictions people are trying to push. 

So yeah. If Robinson gets his way, those women cheering him will be in for a hell of a rude awakening, just like they are with these reproductive restrictions. 

• Like 6

Those women cheer Robinson are the type of women that stopped the ERA from passing.  

what’s also scary about those bad doctors is how many states have capped medical malpractice damages in litigation

• Sad 4
On 3/11/2024 at 4:01 PM, iMonrey said:

Sadly I think he will probably win. That's pretty much the perfect state to elect him Governor. 

Please note that in the past 125 years, NC has only voted in THREE republican governors.  I very much hope we don't pick a fourth.  We could be in trouble because our current (Democrat) governor can't run again, but Robinson will run against Josh Stein, our current AG, which is the same path our current Governor took.  North Carolina has a decades long trend of voting locally blue, and nationally red (and we still went blue for Obama in 2008).  It has been a long source of ire to me that NC never voted Helms out of office (but again, that's national), but we did get Bathroom Bill Pat McCrory out after one idiotic term.

I'm not saying that Robinson won't win, anymore than I'm going to say Trump won't win again.  But I obviously take umbrage that it is more likely to happen in North Carolina, because we're the "perfect state" for it.  We are getting dragged down the same way the REST OF THE COUNTRY is, and it's just as upsetting here as it is anywhere else.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Hello, fellow North Carolinian! I've all but given up on our state. I'm moving from Mecklenburg to western Cleveland County, and I know I'm going to a red county. I just can't afford to live in Charlotte-Meckenburg anymore. That's a whole other topic for another show (affordable housing).

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

It scary how easy it is for terrible doctors to get hired elsewhere. There's tons of episodes on Forensic Files and other shows of incompetent doctors hurting and killing patients moving onto other jobs in other cities when they get fired. There's plenty of doctors kill patients on purpose and are able to get hired in other states. So many hospital and practices don't know they just hired a terrible doctor or nurse. Just as many know or suspect enough that their doctor is incompetent or worse but they don't call the cops (not that it seems to matter if they do given the slap on the wrist sentences) they just fire the doctor and don't tell the hospital they go to about why they were let go.  

I wish I could be surprised about this. But after so many Forensic Files and other crime shows. I'm not. There was a nurse at a hospital in Texas that was suspected of making babies sick. Instead of doing anything about it they fired her and she went to work for medical practice focusing on babies and toddlers. Which suddenly started having a lot of babies suddenly getting sick while the Texas hosptial noticed a drop in babies suddenly becoming sick. A few babies died. Why didn't the Texas hospital report her? They didn't want something like that ruin their reputation. Sadly it's not surprising. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Why didn't the Texas hospital report her? They didn't want something like that ruin their reputation. Sadly it's not surprising. 

That's what always gets me about these kinds of stories - these people will bend over backwards to cover up this stuff to "protect their reputations". But apparently being exposed for covering up horrific crimes WON'T ruin their reputations??? How does that make any sense? 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That's what always gets me about these kinds of stories - these people will bend over backwards to cover up this stuff to "protect their reputations". But apparently being exposed for covering up horrific crimes WON'T ruin their reputations??? How does that make any sense? 

I'm guessing here but the headline is always the latest place with the deaths and not the first place and if we've learnt anything these last few years it's that most people rarely read anything but the headline.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1