Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: The Gospel According to Bobby Glass

• Start Topic

AAAABUTHtvPr7kfq7GOr0DXgXGaLvqgrXNkBggEn

A familiar face returns to settle a score with Freddy. Bobby decides it's time to retire and wants Eddie and Susie to make the necessary arrangements.

Premiere Date: March 7, 2024        Netflix    

Bobby Glass has good business instincts and he’s a good matchmaker too.

Watching all those Chekhov’s guns (the bidding parties) canceling and double-crossing each other, wiping the slate clean for the new king (and queen) to be on top is spectacularly fun.

Eddie Horniman is undoubtedly a natural gangster.

“You wasn’t born to take orders. You were born to give ‘em. To build and expand empires. I don’t see a captain. I see a fucking general.”

Overall, this is an enjoyable show for 2024. One minor complaint - Vinnie Jones is underused. The stage is set for season 2, am looking forward to it.

Theo James, Kaya Scodelario and Joely Richardson are perfectly styled for their roles. 💙

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I think I would have preferred for this to be a one and done. Instead it ends with an obvious setup for another season. On the other hand, I would definitely watch that season. Although by the time it comes out I will probably have to watch this season all over again to remember what happened because that's the nature of binging these streaming series. 

Overall this was a very good series but I was really frustrated with the idiocy of Jimmy and Freddy. They are both the "too stupid to live" kinds of characters that are just there to mess things up. It's hard to believe Susie would ever have entrusted someone like Jimmy to run anything, especially after he lost the van. I couldn't believe Eddie kept taking Freddie with him either after the car stealing fiasco. 

Otherwise this was a very tightly written story with lots of amusing twists and turns. 

• Like 3
(edited)

Did the Eddie kill Gospel? Did kill all of Gospel's men? We just heard 1 gun shot and there wasn't anything else said about it. 

Edited by HollyG
  • Like 1
On 3/31/2024 at 4:09 PM, HollyG said:

Did the Eddie kill Gospel? Did kill all of Gospel's men? We just heard 1 gun shot and there wasn't anything else said about it. 

Hmm. Not clear. Bobby also made it sound possible that he "gave him an offer he can't refuse." 

I loved the season overall. Especially the dynamic between Eddie and Susan. I agree that Jimmy and Freddy were over the top and ridiculous, but they made me laugh. And apparently those kinds of characters are Guy Ritchie's trademark. 

• Like 2

Overall, a good series.  Visually lovely, with the old estates and artwork and furniture and such.  And Theo James, too.  I wasn't familiar with him before this, but damn, he's just perfect in this role. 

I'm not sure I understand the end, though.  It seems that Bobby set up the bidding war knowing that Eddie & Suzie would team up.  But did he also know they'd arrive at the winning bid by taking out all of the competition?  And I don't really understand the point of all of that.  I get removing Mr. Johnston from the equation, and I thought the use of the accountant and having him arrested for tax evasion was a nice touch.  I thought that is where they would go with the rest - finding non-lethal ways of removing them from the bidding process, very aristocratic way of going about things, and one that wouldn't spook all the other titled investors.  But nope, everyone else was just shot, and I'm not really sure why.  Does removing the head of any of these operations really cause the entire operation to fold?

And then the final scene with Bobby Glass and Mr. Johnston.  I'm sorry, maybe I'm a little slow here, but I just don't understand what that was supposed to signify.  Is Bobby really going to screw over Suzie after making them go through all that?

And I really hope they rescue that one Lord from those horrible pot heads at his estate.  That was one thing I thought was sloppy about this episode - I don't see any way that could happen without any outsiders noticing and calling the police or whatever the British equivalent of the DEA is.