Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Janel Parrish: Pretty Little Dancer

• Start Topic

Loved the routine, had no idea what Julianne and Carrie Ann were yammering about, Burlesque doesn't have to be comedy, it's about what makes you grin in recognizing the sexy .  That routine was some sexy, very jazzy fossesque, except Fosse would be much raunchier .  

I feel TPTB did them a disservice giving them Burlesque. It's not traditionally done as a partner dance nor does it have any set rules or steps. It's just as useless and ambiguous as Jazz is.

Janel is way better than that. I can't wait to see her bring a real smolder to an Argentine Tango or Paso.

• Love 1

I think Artem made a mistake staging Janel at the beginning right smack dab in the middle of Sharna and Lindsay. I kept noticing things like oh her hairography isn't as good as theirs (the hairdresser should have given her longer extensions), or her legs aren't as long, or her back arch not as pronounced. Weird but that's what came to mind for me when I saw her dancing next to them in such a tight and close formation. They also should have swapped bodysuit colors between Janel and Sharna/Lindsay. Sharna/Lindsay were in these white-based bodysuits that drew my eye with Janel in this darker red bodysuit with black lace over it. She all but disappeared for me right at the beginning of the dance. If she had been in the foreground - say with a lower barre more to her height and dressed in the white-based bodysuit she would have stood out more and the camera could have closed in on her more tightly and left Sharna and Lindsay in the back so their quality of movement wouldn't have been as pronounced next to her. They should also have dressed Sharna and Lindsay in darker colored bodysuits so that they faded a bit more into the back.

They did well with the lifts but everytime Artem set her down her feet were placed oddly or shuffled and it was noticeable enough that it drew my eye even though I was trying to stay focused on the two of them. They definitely had good chemistry though. You could tell Artem really enjoyed himself this week!

• Love 2
Loved the routine, had no idea what Julianne and Carrie Ann were yammering about, Burlesque doesn't have to be comedy,

Carrie Ann is the one that mentioned that stuff about the comedy clubs or whatever and I had no clue what she was talking about. Julianne's comment was that Burlesque has a certain cheekiness and flirtation to it, which I agree. Basically it's like one giant flirty tease and that was the problem with Janel's dance in my opinion. There was no tease, it was more "here I am wide open..." And like Julianne, I have no issues with raunch, but I do have a problem with desperation and it came across as trying too hard and a little desperate. 

I can't wait to see her bring a real smolder to an Argentine Tango or Paso.

YMMV but I think one of Janel's issues is that she's been bringing too much smolder and little else. I think what she really needs more than anything else is a nice, sweet and romantic number that showcases her technique beautifully. Again to each his own but I feel like I've had my fill of her smolder and pouty sexiness. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

And per Val's After Buzz interview, she will be doing another sexy number with a Samba (insert rolls eyes emoji)... I want this girl to do another ballroom number so we can see another side of her. But at least with the samba being so technical, I can focus on her hand and foot placement. I am curious to see how she copes with the complicated footwork, hip action and bounce. I find Janel to be very gangly in her legs and arms so it will be interesting to see how she does with a dance that requires that she be more grounded and more in tune with her body's natural rhythm. I think that has been my problem all along with her (other than the faux romance/showmance)... I really don't feel like she is following Val's lead and really focusing on improving the technical aspects of her dance.  Val is being very clever in masking some of her shortcomings but I think she/they have been relying too much on the performance aspect and even that has been hit-and-miss. 

• Love 1

It certainly seems they are sticking to what they know this week.   Janel is promising that Monday is going to be the sexiest night of the season?  As opposed to what?  That week she did rumba?  This past week when she did burlesque?  

http://instagram.com/p/uMf7Hwmp8O/

I know she's doing a samba and I know the show is pushing it, but doesn't Val think the audience might want to see a different side to Janel?  If they continue at this rate, I could see them getting kicked off before the finale because people are tired of the same old week to week.

• Love 1
It certainly seems they are sticking to what they know this week.   Janel is promising that Monday is going to be the sexiest night of the season?  As opposed to what?  That week she did rumba?  This past week when she did burlesque?

lol...*facepalm* I don't get it. I know the Pros and the celebs check out social media. How can they not realize how she's coming across to some viewers? Then again I guess if they're only seeing things sent to them by fans, their view is a little skewed. I definitely would not be the least bit surprised to see Janel be a shock boot. At this point I don't see any way Alfonso and Sadie don't make it to the end and Lea may be endearing herself to people because she's coming across as vulnerable, Bethany's fanbase may be a more massive force than people realize and so I can see Janel going out at 5 after Jonathan, Antonio, Michael and Tommy have left or hell maybe Tommy or even Micheal outlasts her.

I also don't see major support from the PLL fanbase like I expected. I follow Shay Mitchell for example and other than the first week, she hasn't tweeted about Janel on the show at all. Both Troian Bellisario and Lucy Hale seem to have little interest. Not sure about Ashley Benson. Compare that to Amber Riley who had Chris Colfer stumping every week for her to his more than 3 million twitter followers, as well as some of the other cast members and even crew members. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I think because they are only seeing the feedback sent directly to them, either on twitter or instagram.  Which is full of both Janel's PLL fans and Val's fans and the former all ship it and want them to date and the latter just want Val to win.   On top of that the media plays into it in interviews and tells them repeatedly how everybody just loves their chemistry and wants them to be a thing.    So I do think all the couples get a skewed sense of how popular they are and as to what people are saying.

I'm all for sexy dancing on DWTS.  I would just think logically if the woman is coming off two extremely sexy dances, you would focus on dancing a clean and not oversexed samba.  Make it flirty insead of overtly sexy.  Let Janel show off a different side as opposed to bringing us back to sexy pouty face territory.

The only thing I can think of is that this is the only way Val can think of to make Janel stand out from Bethany and Sadie, so he's going with what he knows.  Just hope he's realizing that he's costing himself the mirrorball in the process.

As for PLL fans, Janel seems to have major support from the fans.  But I don't think she's very close to her female castmates.  Shay and Ashley tweeted the first week and haven't said anything since.  Lucy tweeted about it when the cast was first announced and Troian hasn't said anything period.  Even the main PLL account forgot to tweet for Janel this week as they had been doing every week.  But I also don't really know how much celeb support actually helps.

Edited by spanana

It certainly seems they are sticking to what they know this week.   Janel is promising that Monday is going to be the sexiest night of the season?  As opposed to what?  That week she did rumba?  This past week when she did burlesque?  

I know she's doing a samba and I know the show is pushing it, but doesn't Val think the audience might want to see a different side to Janel?  If they continue at this rate, I could see them getting kicked off before the finale because people are tired of the same old week to week.

Sheesh, so much for "sorry dad".

I can see them wanting to be sexy and fun with the Samba. Now, if they try to sex up the Viennese Waltz, I'll be concerned.

hahahahaha. We shall stay tuned...lol.  Actually  I like the flavor they bring to each dance style. For jive it was upbeat, sassy and fun. The foxtrot was cute sophisticated and sweet,  Their jazz was high energy with Spanish flair, their rumba was sensual and passionate.  I'm excited for the Samba.

Well especially when DAD and her considerable group of supporters,  (according to Afterbuzz there was a large group of Janel friends and family) don't even get a sweeping camera pointed at them after the comment, and yet we have to put up with the Bearded bible humpers week in and week out.   

Because as far as I know, Janel's friends and family aren't celebrities, therefore no screentime.  I know most people don't think Sadie and her fam qualify as celebrities either, but they do have their own show, hence they are recognizable to people in the home audience.  Now if Janel wants to trot out the PLL cast and sit them in the audience, I'm sure they will get tons of screentime.

ETA: Looks like Janel's boyfriend just announced they broke up.  Dude has been sitting front row every week until this past one and this is the first week he didn't say anything about voting for her.  He was very gracious in his message to her, though not sure why he felt the need to post publicly, but I hope Val is ready for the accusations that will be flying his way throughout the next several weeks.  There are a bunch of heartbroken little girls who are blaming Val and I'm sure the media will jump in on the act soon enough.  For the record, I'm not suggesting Val had anything to do with their actual break-up.  I know nothing about Janel and her boyfriend other than to say the timing is interesting.

Edited by spanana

I know nothing about Janel's now ex boyfriend so I dont really know why he chose to post publicly about the break-up.  In a time where everything is plastered all over social media it could be something harmless or perhaps he just wasnt thinking if he's upset or..

but I hope Val is ready for the accusations that will be flying his way throughout the next several weeks.  There are a bunch of heartbroken little girls who are blaming Val and I'm sure the media will jump in on the act soon enough.

Maybe that's exactly why he posted what he did.  Janel's ex comes out smelling like a rose since he had no harsh words at all, but it does make you wonder if he knew an awful lot of hate would fly Val's way especially with all the talk going on. 

My first thought seeing that pic was that all the couples are probably doing a little reunion package where they show how happy they all are to be back together again. Janel + Val (or producers) trying to push the showmance, are making theirs look like lovers who've been apart for too long. Enough already. Nothing in that pic looks like samba to me.

But I also don't really know how much celeb support actually helps.

I think it can help tremendously. Every week Chris Colfer was tweeting out stuff like:  Biebs home phone number is 1-800-Amber's voting number and One Direction is taking your calls now at 1-800-Amber's voting number.  Of course all the little Bieb-ettes and 1Ders couldn't resist calling and, not getting through to Biebs/1D, they'd try try again logging a vote each time. Even if they were certain it was a "joke", they couldn't resist calling "just to be sure". I think that played a very big role in getting Amber the MBT. 

I too see Janel as this season's "shocking" elimination, and I think the one most shocked will be Val.

I think it can help tremendously. Every week Chris Colfer was tweeting out stuff like:  Biebs home phone number is 1-800-Amber's voting number and One Direction is taking your calls now at 1-800-Amber's voting number.  Of course all the little Bieb-ettes and 1Ders couldn't resist calling and, not getting through to Biebs/1D, they'd try try again logging a vote each time. Even if they were certain it was a "joke", they couldn't resist calling "just to be sure". I think that played a very big role in getting Amber the MBT. 

I too see Janel as this season's "shocking" elimination, and I think the one most shocked will be Val.

I remember Chris Colfer's clever and funny vote-getting tweets for Amber! I don't think the PLL main stars are quite as close to Janel as Chris was with Amber so I don't seem them going out of their way to support her each and every week as he did.

Unless, many of the PLL fans do jump ship after the shenanigans this week, I don't think Janel will be eliminated until at least two more of the male contestants are gone. And I think in some ways Val is such a popular pro now for DWTS that the producers will do their best to keep them on until semi-finals at least based on their dance ability as a couple. I think she's definitely safe for another week at the very least. Though they may be in jeopardy this week just to stir things up. If Janel continues to get mixed or lower fan support I could see her going before the semi-finals though no matter what their dance ability.

I think one thing that has surprised me is that Val and Janel on paper seem like the perfect DWTS couple yet they haven't been able to truly ignite as a DWTS super couple- if you know what I mean. I think once this season is over they'll be remembered as a good couple but not a great one.

I don't think she's in any danger for at least a few weeks.  I mean more of the idea that they might get tossed sometime around the semi finals unless they start to pick up some steam.  Though I could see the show making them sweat it out this week just because somebody has to and they have already made Sadie and Lea sweat it out before.  Alfonso I think would be too unbelievable, especially when his votes for "The Carlton" are still in the mix.   So it's either her or Bethany.

I'd also imagine she won't lose that many votes unless the tabloids start spreading Janel/boyfriend/Val cheating stories like wildfire.  Right now it's mostly amongst her fans and hardcore DWTS fans.  Most media outlets were already operating as if she were single anyway and it's not like she ever mentioned her live-in boyfriend on the show.  Her fans are the ones that followed her relationship with Payson closely, but this is because pre-DWTS it seems they flaunted their relationship pretty publicly for their fans.  So when you have a public relationship, that many more people are going to be in your business when you split.  But anyway, I think how this effects Janel on the show remains to be seen in terms of how big a story the tabloids try to make all this business.  It doesn't really seem like she and Val plan to dial back in any way.  Of course it probably didn't help that the DWTS instagram posted a pic of Janel essentially nibbling Val's ear today, as if that had anything whatsoever to do with a samba.  

Celeb endorsements can help, and the Chris Colfer example is a good one, but I think they only help if the followers of the person endorsing have any reason to be invested in the person in the first place.  So of course Chris fans were likely to support Amber.  I guess I think back to someone like Elizabeth Berkeley, who had tons of A list celeb support and had them tweeting for her, but it didn't really do much to help her voting block.

Celeb endorsements can help, and the Chris Colfer example is a good one, but I think they only help if the followers of the person endorsing have any reason to be invested in the person in the first place.  So of course Chris fans were likely to support Amber.

I don't know about anyone else but yes, that was what I was referring to when I brought up the cast of the show. I wasn't talking about Janel getting social media endorsement from random celebrities. I was referring solely to the other cast members on the show because essentially it would still be a part of the PLL fandom. So basically someone who may love Aria (Luce Hale) more than Mona (Janel) but obviously knows who the latter is because they watch the show, could be inspired to vote for her from Lucy's re-tweeting her number, supporting her, etc. Again not saying everyone would and it must happen but just that it could not hurt.  

Apparently the break up was a couple of weeks ago,and it was more to do with their schedules, and they were both pretty amicable.   Peyson  is letting the fans know why he is not in the audience, which makes a lot of sense given that this guy dances and sings late night on the Baz Lurhmann tribute show.. I am sorry for their break up but Peyson is forever #TeamJanel so it can't be all bad.  It is good that Peyson got ahead of this story. 

What I am more interested in is the dance moves fans sent in for Janel and Val to incorporate into the Samba this week.  

Edited by Andiethewestie

I don't know anything about their break up, but I don't know what else Payson would say publicly.  I don't expect him to go into details about whatever troubles they were having.  Though I highly doubt it was solely because of their busy schedules considering DWTS is a very temporary thing and will be over soon enough.  Besides Payson putting it out there publicly only serves to make Janel look bad since people are going to assume it's because of Val and DWTS, no matter how civil her boyfriend comes across.  I'm not remotely surprised they broke up, but I am surprised that they announced it midseason.  I was expecting them to sit on it so it didn't become tabloid fodder to hurt Janel's chances on DWTS.   But I doubt it will hurt her that much anyway.  

On the PLL cast, I just don't think it's a a very close knit cast.  Which is fine as there is no rule you have to be close with your castmates.  Shay and Ashley are close, but that's about it.  I thought Lucy was going to be supportive since she was the first to post about Janel being on DWTS, but hasn't said anything since.  It's also a little weird with Shay since Shay is a self professed DWTS fan and has sat in the audience before and she's actually followed Val for quite some time.  Shay is basically Val's dream DWTS partner and they leave each other instagram comments and that sort of thing, so it's actually kind of funny he wound up with Janel instead.

Edited by spanana

I don't know anything about their break up, but I don't know what else Payson would say publicly.  I don't expect him to go into details about whatever troubles they were having.  Though I highly doubt it was solely because of their busy schedules considering DWTS is a very temporary thing and will be over soon enough.  Besides Payson putting it out there publicly only serves to make Janel look bad since people are going to assume it's because of Val and DWTS, no matter how civil her boyfriend comes across.  I'm not remotely surprised they broke up, but I am surprised that they announced it midseason.  I was expecting them to sit on it so it didn't become tabloid fodder to hurt Janel's chances on DWTS.   But I doubt it will hurt her that much anyway.  

On the PLL cast, I just don't think it's a a very close knit cast.  Which is fine as there is no rule you have to be close with your castmates.  Shay and Ashley are close, but that's about it.  I thought Lucy was going to be supportive since she was the first to post about Janel being on DWTS, but hasn't said anything since.  It's also a little weird with Shay since Shay is a self professed DWTS fan and has sat in the audience before and she's actually followed Val for quite some time.  Shay is basically Val's dream DWTS partner and they leave each other instagram comments and that sort of thing, so it's actually kind of funny he wound up with Janel instead.

I think most celeb couples go the route of "schedules got in the way" to avoid the blame game.  A breakup with one or both sides slinging mud isn't a good look for either.  I'm not so sure "they" chose to announce it midseason. The last mention of Payson on Janel's twitter was Oct 1, almost 3 weeks ago.  I doubt it'll hurt Janel anyways, unless tabloids start picking up on it.  I doubt the average viewer sees much beyond what is shown on the show itself, unless it actually hits the covers of tabloid magazines at the grocery story checkout counter.  I don't know if Janel is a big enough star to rate a tabloid cover story, but Val as related to DWTS certainly is. Any "scoop" about DWTS will get a cover mention, if not a corner cover pic.  We'll see what happens.

Surprised about Shay. I thought at one point she was campaigning to get on DWTS and I've seen her on many wish lists for celebs people want to see on the show.  I've never watched PLL so I don't know a thing about Shay, I just recognize the name.

It's gotten some play on online gossip pages and people questioning whether or not the breakup is Val related, but it's not the kind of thing at home viewers will see.  The people most effected by the news so to speak are Janel's young hardcore fans that were very invested in her relationship with her boyfriend.  Whether it causes any of them to stop voting for her, who really knows.

Shay is too big IMO for DWTS at this point.  In terms of fame level, I think any of the main four from that show would be too big.  I'd say Janel is a few fame levels below them, so her being here makes sense.   Prior to DWTS a lot of people just knew her as Mona, but not necessarily her name, so this was a way to get her name out there.  I think Val convincing Shay to do DWTS was always a pipe dream for him.

I don't know who this Shay person is, but that's fine I watch HBO outside of this cheezy guilty pleasure.  What people do in their personal life really has no bearing on my enjoyment of dancing.  And so far, I'm enjoying Janel and Val, they're creative and most entertaining for me.  I also like Lea and Alfonso.  The rest I really don't care much about. 

Except that my favorites are doing well this season with troupe dancers. I really loved how Janel took command of West Side Story.  But  I never was a fan of Davis and White, I skipped last season.

Moving this out of the Lea thread to reply to it here...

I disagree with you there. I don't really think Janel took as much command of that West Side Story number as she could have. All I felt watching that number was wishing she could be stronger and more polished in her movement. In fact, that was one of the few times that Val overshadowed her in the side by side moves. He's usually very good at keeping himself in check in order to not overshadow his celeb partner but I felt she suffered in comparison in even the simpler side by side moves they did together.

Though I do think Val did a good job with the use of the troupe in this number bc he used them just at the beginning to set the scene and then left them up on the platform stage area so they weren't involved in any of the actual dancing. He's not used the troupe as well in other numbers. In the Disney "Be our Guest" number he created for Danica, I felt that the troupe members created a lot of extra fuss in the number- though I understood why he did it bc it was a part of the Beauty and the Beast storyline.

To each his own. I don't think any other contestant could do WSS as well as Janel did. She not only looked like Natalie Wood, she moved very well and held my attention for the entire piece. Like any musical theatre, the pro dancer always looks precise, but the star has the charisma, and Janel has that.      

I loved Pitbull calling out Janel and Val for the lack of chemistry, especially because of the horrible segment they had on them and their "feelings" for each other.

So I want to preface this by saying I still have not seen their package this week. In fact I haven't seen anyone's package only the dances on YT so my take on all the dances are purely based on the dancing itself. But what was telling to me about Pitbull's feedback was how low key and matter of fact he was about it-- he wasn't trying to bash, make a provocative statement, or even call attention to himself. In fact he said it so regularly that Tom had to ask him to re-state bc he wasn't sure he heard him correctly. And when a lay person who hasn't had anything to do with the rest of the season and doesn't really know these people has that reaction-- that's saying something significant to me. He really wasn't feeling it and he probably came at it from a more honest place bc he wasn't like CAI, JH, or BT who even though they are judges do have to "work" with the pros and celebs on a more regular basis so in the interest of keeping things civil at work would probably want to couch things in a more positive way.

• Love 1

Please, if Pitbull is a judge then monkeys fly out of my butt. The 'calling out' was purely coming from Pitbull and his own experience with another contestant on DWTS dancing to  Celia Cruz and Salsa.  The show gives Val the song and he works with what he has, Celia Cruz is the diva of Cuban Salsa, Pitbull expected a dirty street Salsa, the kind he uses for all his videos.. That song was vetted back in Season 13 when his buddy  fellow Cuban William Levy danced the Salsa.  Pitbull wouldn't know a Volta if he fell over it. As far as the passion, see his videos, his Salsas,  he basically wants to see dry humping, evidenced by the boner he got when dry humped JLo on an awards show. . He figured he could slam Janel and Val cause  he sure would have been  run off the show if he said anything about a sad puritanical mechanical cheerleader dance that had no rumba whatsoever.. 

Edited by Andiethewestie

Just read that Val and Janel are dancing Viennese Waltz to the Pretty Little Liars "Secrets" theme song on Monday.It sounds like a creepy good Halloween theme.. and  finally a decent VWaltz tempo in 3/4 time, not some ballad in 4/4/  

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 1

Just read that Val and Janel are dancing Viennese Waltz to the Pretty Little Liars "Secrets" theme song on Monday.

Oh, that song is awesomely creepy and lovely. I have high hopes for this routine!

Janel has Quickstep, and while there are naysayers about it out there, I actually think she can do quite well at it. The Foxtrot according to Bruno and CA was "almost" perfect, they actually had elements of QS in it, she did get the encore for it,  and the QS is a sped up version of Foxtrot,  so I'm hoping for a good night for her.   Salsa Trio should be fun, since we know she's fearless when it comes to the lifts and tricks. 

I loved the quickstep (except for Val's little wobble) but I was meh on the trio dance. For me, it just didn't seem like a lot of dancing, there was a lot more posing and lifts. But I still hope Janel's in the final 3--my picks would be her, Alfonso and Bethany.

• Love 1

I really loved that Quickstep...it was so light and fun and technically GOOD! Val is known for being a Latin specialist but I've really enjoyed his Quicksteps the last couple of seasons. I really liked his Qstep with Danica and even the one with Elizabeth Berkley (she was a little too tall to really pull it off though).  But the themes and concepts are great.  

Janel nailed the essence of that dance....and the costumes and flavor of the dance was perfect.  For the first half of the show they had the dance of the night.  For the trio round I thought Alfonso KILLED it.  I enjoyed Janel's trio as well...less for the salsa content but I was impressed with her flexibility and her ability to really command the focus during that routine.  She's a powerhouse.

Overall I enjoyed the entire show really because the level of dancing of everyone is so good (well except Tommy :)

I *think* Janel's dances this week are the Paso Doble and Argentine Tango. According to the press release, she'll be dancing to “Blame” by Calvin Harris, featuring a guest “unplugged” performance of the same song (all couples are dancing to a plugged and unplugged version of one song) by Time For Three.

• Love 1

As much as I would love Janel and Val to win, and they do have a chance, she is on set most of this week for Pretty Little Liars, she has little time to practice, unfortunately this is the last week and the schedules have clashed.   I assume she thought she wouldn't get so far into the competition.      

• Love 1
I assume she thought she wouldn't get so far into the competition.

Yeah I don't buy that. This is the girl who was re-tweeting some fairly arrogant comments at the start of the competition about the other celebrities, who when the cast was announced was told by the GMA hosts she was apparently the odd-makers favorite to win, and that's not even including her performing background. I don't buy for one second Janel didn't come into this thinking she was going to make it to the end and even likely win. I'll give that maybe she's been aware of some of the backlash online against her and Val and that might have shaken her confidence but I don't believe for one minute she came into the competition not thinking she would make it very far. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

What I assume is that the PLL filming schedule wasn't necessarily set in stone at the beginning of the season, and there wasn't really a way to know for sure the extent of the potential conflict when she signed on.

It's a bummer that this week of all weeks presents such a conflict - it must suck to not be able to invest fully, especially right at the end. I haven't always loved all her dances, but I think you can see she works really hard and wants this.

• Love 1