Type keyword(s) to search

S49.E10: Dakota Johnson / Justin Timberlake

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Why was Chappelle there at the end? 

I’m sure Molly Kearney was thrilled with that. Also not surprised that the only one who seemed to care about him was Jimmy. 

Lonelier Island was inspired, but I 100% believe that came from comment on YouTube or something. 

I liked Dakota fine, but I do feel bad so much was taken over for the Timberlake redemption tour

I still can’t believe the fricking host was reduced to a background player for the lame Bee Gees sketch where they let Jimmy Fallon hog the screen with a very unfunny song.  

• Like 6

Reaction to the Elie Mystal portrayal:

https://abovethelaw.com/2024/01/saturday-night-live-debuts-elie-mystal-parody/

Includes the following shade:

Keenan Thompson took on the role in a revival of the Jimmy Fallon-era “Barry Gibb Talk Show” sketch, a riff on SNL’s much-more-classic McLaughlin Group sketch, but with the political satire replaced with visual gags about a musician who ceased to be famous almost 25 years before SNL’s core audience was born. Is it really that hard to find an excuse to put Justin Timberlake in a sketch?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I still can’t believe the fricking host was reduced to a background player for the lame Bee Gees sketch where they let Jimmy Fallon hog the screen with a very unfunny song.  

You could understand the words!?!?!

It was not funny in concept, I had never heard of that Mystal person and I am old.

56 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

It was not funny in concept, I had never heard of that Mystal person and I am old.

Lol, part of what made it unfunny was that I couldn’t understand a thing he was singing.  

• Like 2
On 1/28/2024 at 12:27 PM, AriAu said:

Cuz it is and always has been a TERRIBLE, unfunny sketch.

I can't agree with that, it's a classic series of sketches.  They had some trouble getting in sync in this one, but they seemed to get on track about halfway through.  And it appeared that age got in the way of doing the voices.  It reminded me of how some singers get old and they can't hit the high notes anymore.

On 1/29/2024 at 1:05 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

Elie is famous in political circles, and he hails from NYC. He's been a pundit on MSNBC quite a bit. Known for his facial expressions and his very succinct opinions on government and law (he's also a lawyer). Big on Twitter, too. He's actually quite hilarious. And you're probably not as old as you think you are. I am old (59), Elie is getting up there, but I guess they thought this would fly because of all the New Yorkers who watch the show. Too bad Keenan wasn't able to showcase just what a lot of us love about Elie - mainly his facial reactions. This wasn't the type of sketch to do that.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Ineeda Vino said:

Elie is famous in political circles, and he hails from NYC. He's been a pundit on MSNBC quite a bit. Known for his facial expressions and his very succinct opinions on government and law (he's also a lawyer). Big on Twitter, too. He's actually quite hilarious. And you're probably not as old as you think you are. I am old (59), Elie is getting up there, but I guess they thought this would fly because of all the New Yorkers who watch the show. Too bad Keenan wasn't able to showcase just what a lot of us love about Elie - mainly his facial reactions. This wasn't the type of sketch to do that.

I’d never heard of him but I googled him and I thought it was a pic of Kenan in a gray wig!

• LOL 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I’d never heard of him but I googled him and I thought it was a pic of Kenan in a gray wig!

Agree! Kenan had his physical appearance down pat! Even Eli agreed. LOL

Edited by Ineeda Vino
  • Like 1
On 1/28/2024 at 11:07 AM, peeayebee said:

I wasn't watching SNL when Jimmy Fallon was a regular, but I have seen a Barry Gibb sketch or two. I generally liked this. I couldn't always understand what Fallon was saying -- He definitely seemed out of breath -- but I liked him and Timberlake. The guests added nothing. Maybe that's how the sketch always is. Oh and who was Dakota supposed to be?

Her name is Joanne Carducci, and she is an on-line political commentator from New Jersey, known as "Jo from Jerz". She became known for her anti-Trump commentary during his administration, joining Twitter at the time specifically to denounce Trump. 

• Useful 2