Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Maya

• Start Topic

I quite liked the series - I thought this last ep was a little rushed, but with only five eps in the series, I guess that couldn’t be helped. I hope we get more seasons!

• Like 2

When Maya threw away the contact lenses I never got to see if the tech just worked with Fisk or everybody.  Sister Bonnie acting like a pro translator without personal interaction in that situation had me wondering if she was also part of the local Fisk gang before the transfer of Choctaw powers.

Was the dude who almost got blown up at the warehouse and got killed before he could fire the RPG in a rival gang to Kingpin's? If the sabotaged train was part of a deal that went bad due to Maya's guerilla war I can see that. Because it was a real odd weapon to use to shoot near the boss.

As for a second series, I doubt it. The bigger named and box office draw antihero killer The Punisher waits in the wings to reemerge. And with Frank you wouldn't have to introduce a new costume you don't have to write reasons to conveniently have translators around. Besides I want Frank Castle and Karen Page and their platonic heat back together 

• Like 1

This episode was a little of a let down, would have liked to see Maya kicking more ass. Overall I thought the series was pretty good. Alaqua Cox is great for someone with 2 acting jobs (including this one). I'm so glad that Marvel kept D'onofrio as Fisk. He, like JK Simmons as JJJ, is one of those perfect castings.

Definitely felt kind of rushed.  I'm not sure if things were cut or never filmed to begin with, but I feel like there was about another episode's worth of material that was really needed to make the finale more satisfying.  Also could have used more focus on some of the supporting characters: especially Bonnie, who seemed to mainly be here just to be saved.  Admittedly, I'm bias since I just want Devery Jacobs to get more meaty material.  I guess everything can't be Reservation Dogs!

Did love all of the powwow scenes and how they were filmed.  And how most everything came through to save the day: even Biscuits!  Did find it odd that Skully disappeared for the latter half of the episode: not even there for the big reunion scene.  Was that initial or did Graham Greene not have the availability for it?

I know I shouldn't laugh at death, but Zane/Andrew Howard's "Oh, fuck!" reaction right before Henry shot him was the best.

So, I'm guessing Maya was attempting to use her powers to "heal" Fisk from his anger and trauma, but instead of curing him and making him a good guy, it seems like he's going to use it to run for mayor?  Feels like they are aiming for him to be in touch with his emotions more, but use them to manipulate people instead of actually being a good person.  Could be interesting.

Despite my issues with the ending, I actually enjoyed the series quite a bit.  Interesting that both this and Hawkeye were the ones that were initial under the radar for me, but ended up being the more consistent and enjoyable outing out of the Disney+ shows.  Not sure if will warrant more seasons, but I wouldn't mind seeing Maya and the rest of the gang again (not including Fisk, since he'll obvious be back to cause poor Matt Murdock more pain!)

• Like 3
On 1/11/2024 at 11:30 PM, thuganomics85 said:

So, I'm guessing Maya was attempting to use her powers to "heal" Fisk from his anger and trauma, but instead of curing him and making him a good guy, it seems like he's going to use it to run for mayor?

I have seen various takes on Kingpin's motivations here and how he reacted to Maya's healing but my own take on it is that he really does love Maya in his own way, knew he had hurt her and didn't know how to make it up to her so he was trying to get her to kill him (just like he killed his dad). Maya got him out of the self-destructive spiral but now that he's decided to remain among the living it's up to him as to what he does with his life. He seems to think that running for Mayor of NYC is the noble thing to do, based on his reactions to the talking heads on the news calling for a "bare-knuckled brawler" to be the city's saviour.

• Like 3

Rabbit in a snowstorm. That white wall cracking. I will echo others in saying that this needed more time with the characters and Maya’s relationships with them. 

The pundits were a little on the nose. Kingpin’s face was perfect acting.

i think curing his trauma would not cure him of his behaviors, necessarily. He has ingrained habits and beliefs, you don’t cure someone of being themselves. 

I really enjoyed this episode, although for a show based around a martial arts badass it could have used some more action. I think episode 5 didn't even have one fight scene.  Hope we see Maya again though since she just got her powers.

The powwow was cool to see. And it was fun to have Tattoo Cardinal as the nice granny, when last time I saw her in something it was Stumptown and she was basically the Kingpin of that show.

On 1/11/2024 at 12:43 PM, Raja said:

As for a second series, I doubt it. The bigger named and box office draw antihero killer The Punisher waits in the wings to reemerge. And with Frank you wouldn't have to introduce a new costume 

I kind of think I would rather see .ore Maya than the Punisher. I always find him super one note. The first season on Netflix was good but the second was kind of repetitive. Although I did like that they made him a bad person before his family was killed. So becoming a crazy murderer wasn't that much of a stretch. Also for Punisher don't they have to reintroduce a new costume? I thought I read somewhere that Marvel dropped the skull logo since too many assholes had been using it for their own causes.

On 2/6/2024 at 6:30 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I really enjoyed this episode, although for a show based around a martial arts badass it could have used some more action. I think episode 5 didn't even have one fight scene.  Hope we see Maya again though since she just got her powers.

The powwow was cool to see. And it was fun to have Tattoo Cardinal as the nice granny, when last time I saw her in something it was Stumptown and she was basically the Kingpin of that show.

I kind of think I would rather see .ore Maya than the Punisher. I always find him super one note. The first season on Netflix was good but the second was kind of repetitive. Although I did like that they made him a bad person before his family was killed. So becoming a crazy murderer wasn't that much of a stretch. Also for Punisher don't they have to reintroduce a new costume? I thought I read somewhere that Marvel dropped the skull logo since too many assholes had been using it for their own causes.

I don’t disagree but I think they play to the actor, and Berenthal was a find for the roll of the Punisher. He adds vulnerability to a problematic marvel character.  Men continue to be preferred leads, too. Echo can show up as a guest spot in several shows, but a second season would seem to require rehiring her family and friends as regulars.