Type keyword(s) to search

My Life With The Walter Boys - General Discussion

• Start Topic

New series premieres today on Netflix.

After losing her family in a tragic accident, 15-year-old Jackie is forced to leave her privileged Manhattan life and move in with a large, boisterous family in rural Colorado, where she becomes entangled in a love triangle between two brothers. From the producers of The Kissing Booth and based on the popular WattPad novel by Ali Novak, My Life with the Walter Boys series is a story of loss, love and growing up.

Trailer:

It's a typical YA fish-out-of-water romance. It's boring.

Jackie is not interesting enough for me to keep watching. The actress is quite wooden. It doesn't make sense for Jackie to limit herself to Cole and Alex when there are plenty more fish in the sea.

After 2 episodes, am OUT!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I don't know what attracts me to those shows, since I am old. But sometimes they are at least entertaining. This one is all kinds of bad. Bad acting, bad writing, bad plots, bad characters. 

Jackie has no agency. she is nothing, just an object of attraction/affection/lust of testosterone heavy teen boys. She has no personality .

The mom is perfect in every way, the dad is whatever. He didn't do anything in the show other than frown and brood.

Those boys are annoying to the core. The acting hurts all my senses

In the end everyone is so happy and understanding 🤮

The other characters are little more than props. 

There are so many shows that are just a recycled version of whatever the first one was, where a girl is in the middle of two brothers and she causes a lot of pain until she chooses one and everyone is happy and it is all for the better, blah, blah. 

They could at least recycle with a twist, where one girl (or boy) will be the coveted partner of siblings that are not the same sex. At least adds a little originality to the plagiarism recycled story

• Like 1

One thing that annoyed me is that I couldn’t make sense of the ages/grades of most of the boys.

So you have Will who is 25–easy

Cody and Danny are fraternal twins who are Juniors 

Alex is a freshman, and Nathan is…? I’m guessing the mom is supposed to have had 4 children extremely close together? It all seems like they share the same friend group at school, including the adopted nephews who I’m assuming are twins and in the same grade as Alex/Jackie 

I have a feeling this will definitely get renewed for another season. I kind of hope they drop the love triangle schtick because it’s so obvious that Cole/Jackie have mutual chemistry. Jackie/Alex seems very one sided and the Alex character just comes off as pathetic. He’s better off with the friend who is pining after him!

Overall I thought this was a very cozy show. It reminded me a bit of the earlier seasons of The Fosters. I actually enjoyed some of the subplots with the other siblings, so I hope we get to see more focus on them, and not the guidance counselor and English teacher. 

• Like 1

I just want Cole to get his bangs out of his eyes. 

Also, am I alone in thinking the actor who plays him looks way too old to be in high school?

I keep waiting for it to turn out that Jackie saves the ranch by coming into money left to her when her family died/or that her uncle just wants custody of her to get a hold of said money.

Ugh, why have I put this much thought into a show I don't even  like that much? 😁

20231230_021203.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket

I can get into clichéd romances as long as I root for the characters to get together.

The issue here is the show hasn't shown why Cole would be in to Jackie.  She's got no personality. The actress is cute enough but blah.  I'm only on ep. 4, and I'm enjoying it enough, but I just wish the romance worked better

(edited)

I really disliked the fact that her wishy-washiness between the two brothers caused more strife in the family. Cole and Alex sort of reconciled at the end but she probably ruined it again by going after Cole when she could have left it alone. Or she should have been honest about her feelings for Cole in the first place. It will be kinda unrealistic for Alex to forgive both of them when he finds out. I'm not fond of the character but I really hope he wouldn't.

And if I were the parents, I would be pissed that Jackie has worsened the already existing sibling rivalry between my two children and just ran away temporarily to escape accountability. Anyway, I probably shouldn't even give much thought to this lame show.

Edited by waving feather
On 12/17/2023 at 8:23 AM, VioletWitch said:

One thing that annoyed me is that I couldn’t make sense of the ages/grades of most of the boys.

Yes! I’m so confused.

Have to run through again. So:

Will is 25 (though perhaps looks a bit older…).

Danny & Cole: Juniors I guess (though perhaps look a bit older…) from nobody panicking already about Cole not graduating and Danny applying to a Juilliard summer program rather than a full degree. It took me way too long to get the twin thing too, and before that it was even worse!

Also this means there  are 7-8 years between the eldest and the next two?

Then it’s completely muddy. Who is older, Alex or Nathan? Jackie is a sophomore and seems to be in various classes with Alex, is he a sophomore too? And then Nathan the freshman, or vice versa? Are Alex and Nathan also fraternal twins? (Who are basically Irish twins with Danny and Cole, one might add.)

Who’s next, Jordan? Is he in high school yet? I think maybe not? He feels significantly older than Parker, certainly well into his teens. Isaac and Lee seem to both be in HS, but I have even less of a clue in which year(s) they are or who is older. Isaac? At least I get that they’re the live-in cousins, so that’s helpful.

Parker: is 9! Yeah!

Benny: is 4! This is easy!

So there’s 21 years between Will and Benny, and Katherine had the big clump of five boys (including Jordan there) across like three years? Also she looks like she’s not quite 40 yet, but she apparently met George either in college or shortly after. Clearly, immediately they had Will and then waited nearly a decade before really starting to build up their army.

Despite all these fantastical ages ( and the many tropes) I quite enjoyed the show. I’m in a phase where I can only handle super light and fluffy fare, and somehow this managed to be both soapy, easy, and feel-good. Works for me! 

Edited by rhiamon
For grammar and clarity(?)