Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Warning Shots

AntFTW
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, Roseanna said:

It has already been done better in Buccaneers.

And Gladys is dull.

I actually like Gladys, but I found the Buccaneers so bad I turned it off after two episodes. Despite my dislike, it has been done there, and Downton as well for that matter.

On 12/4/2023 at 7:01 AM, ofmd said:

Good grief, I thought public proposals with all the social pressure were a relatively new thing. Shame on Dashiell! I'm sure Marian will find a way out of this horrible predicament.

"Poor Aunt Ada. She doesn't have much luck." Understatement of the century, Oscar! And poor Dead Poets Rev. I knew her bliss and separation from Agnes couldn't last, but really, show, you can't even give them a couple of happy episodes?! The minute his back hurt I think we all knew what would happen. I'm guessing at the beginning of the next episode we will be at his funeral or look at his gravestone already... At least the little dog is well.

Meanwhile, her sister in Edithhood, Peggy... I don't even know what to say. She seems willing to begin a realtionship with her married boss because she "will get hurt anyway." I'm sure his wife doesn't understand him or is mean or something... It's almost as if they don't know how to tell the story of a successful independent woman. I'm glad they already did a baby story with her, so hopefully we'll be spared the out-of-wedlock pregnancy drama.

Ah, the anonymous unwashed masses are glaring threateningly at George, and he is suddenly surprised the workers' kids don't go to school... Sure, how could he possibly know?! What a lovely man for not having the troops massacre down his workers. Heart of gold.

I must rewatch the proposal from hell scene, as I absolutely didn't notice Larry storming off. If they're trying to show that he's secretly deeply in love with her already, they have failed with me. Do the work first, show!

I'm glad the butlers made up.

As for Oscar... He is still trying to con/ charm a (as far as he knows) unsuspecting girl into marrying him while he ofc can't have feelings for her, just for greed. Maybe his journey is to realize that. By all means, do what you have to do if you need to protect yourself (remember, it can be dangerous for a gay man in this time and place), but other than that, don't be a dick. Maybe that's his journey.

I assume Ada will return to live with Agnes, but be more of an equal and speak her mind etc.

It would be lovely if we got a couple of episodes of marital bliss for Ada and the Rev.  But Fellowes loves to torture his audience - so here we are.  

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952tofd3w2ib7sdas92yaz

On 12/19/2023 at 1:21 PM, Ilovepie said:

I actually like Gladys, but I found the Buccaneers so bad I turned it off after two episodes. Despite my dislike, it has been done there, and Downton as well for that matter.

God help me, I finished it.  It was awful. 

Julian Fellowes is not a good writer in that he lacks anything like creativity and he seems to sometimes be at a loss how to get from A to B in anything even approximating an organic way.  But he and his writing team(s) have some skill with quips and he casts spectacular talents for at least 1/3 of the roles in each of his shows guaranteeing that, even if you are annoyed by the writing and plotting, it's still often fun.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
(edited)

I didn't much feel like watching the show after the rushed wedding with Ada, but this show is able to revive my interest when I start up again.  

I do feel badly for Ada even though I can't say I felt any chemistry with her now husband.  It was just too fast, too soon.  And now it was obviously just meant to cause drama, so it isn't affecting me emotionally at all.

In another predictable plotline, it looks like George suddenly has a heart.  I thought one of the workers would shoot George's No. 2 guy while they were standing up on the platform.

I thought we would get a bit more about Mr. Church after finding out about his wife's tragic death.  But I like the clock-maker guy, so that was a fun subplot.  

I was surprised Peggy had no idea about the  threat to close colored schools and the newspaper editor never covered it despite him not thinking it was going to happen.

I'm guessing Dashiell called the school to ensure Marian could come to that party.  He seemed like such an upstanding guy, so it was quite a turn in this episode for him to stage that public proposal that backed Marian into a corner.  I feel in the last two or three episodes, Marian looked like she wanted to get the hell outta there near the end of her scenes with the Dashiell family of 2.

Edited by Camera One