Type keyword(s) to search

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

Is this a remake of the original with Ciri as Charlton Heston? That's the vibe it gives me. Anyway, naturally it comes out when I'm travelling. If I get the chance, I might go and see it.

British and Irish people. Is there a cinema locations/times site I should bookmark on my phone?

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Maybe it a similar story, but I don't think so.

My suspicion is built entirely on the fact that she's wearing trousers and a tank top, so it wasn't the strongest to start with. :)

However, looks like it comes out on the 24th in Britain. The day I fly back. Further, Furiosa will be hogging my cinema attention once I'm home. Ah well.

IMAX trailer! Looks fun. I'm going to either be in Britain or Ireland on 10 May. What are the better quality cinema chains? I'm not asking for the Alamo Drafthouse, just where people will actually be watching the movie rather than talking or playing on their phones, etc?

On 4/1/2024 at 8:17 PM, Anduin said:

IMAX trailer! Looks fun. I'm going to either be in Britain or Ireland on 10 May. What are the better quality cinema chains? I'm not asking for the Alamo Drafthouse, just where people will actually be watching the movie rather than talking or playing on their phones, etc?

I have no idea if it's the best chain, but I went to Vue Cinema in London last year and it was pretty good.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, peridot said:

I have no idea if it's the best chain, but I went to Vue Cinema in London last year and it was pretty good.

Looks like I'll be in Ireland, but thanks.

In other news, I'm half-way through War. It's a good movie, but at the same time I'm not looking forward to watching the second half. There's such a thing as good but not my taste.

So, anyone here see this yet? I want to see what y'all have to say, since every damn review I've read is a long, winding tongue bath to the director and the actress who's playing the hooman.

And the director himself stated in an interview this takes place "300-400 years after" War. Though I've read there is no indication by use of a tag to let the audience know how long it's been.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

We’re deciding whether to go reviews not great and it’s long 

Yeah. That’s what I’ve read as well. And the tongue baths by reviewers in a few papers just have me 🙄🙄 and not want to see this in the theater. 

10 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

All I know this that they had the audacity to give the bad guy Caesar’s name.

How Dare You GIF by moodman

I KNOW! And I’ve watched a couple of interviews with the director and he just rubs me the wrong way. There’s an element of…arrogance that puts me off. Próximas should be Koba! Not Caesar!

• Fire 1
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

We’re deciding whether to go reviews not great and it’s long 

I just came back from seeing it. I was a little off put by the run time before seeing it, but honestly it moves so fast that it doesn't feel like it's 2.5 hours.

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

All I know this that they had the audacity to give the bad guy Caesar’s name.

How Dare You GIF by moodman

If it makes you feel better, him taking on the Caesar title has a double meaning. In addition to revering the previous films' hero, he's also a student of Roman history.

I didn't read any reviews going in; I saw it because I enjoyed the previous trilogy so much. It's not on the same level as Dawn and War, but I liked it and would be interested in seeing where this story goes from where it leaves off here. That said, I wasn't expecting it to be so... Jesus-y.

I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts, as I found myself feeling conflicted about the ending. 

Spoiler

On the one hand, Proximus Caesar is the villain and needs to be defeated, but he's also not wrong that Noa shouldn't trust Mae, who was willing to sacrifice the lives of all the apes after getting what she wanted and could only get by some of them helping her.

• Useful 1

So much for my remake prediction! Though for a while there I thought she was lying about being from a colony of survivors and she'd be from a ship all along. Y'know what's odd? the triumphant music when the humans get the gizmo in the end. At first I thought 'Yay!', but on second thought, is it really a good idea for the humans to come back from the brink? Yeah, I'm not so sure.

• Like 1
On 5/27/2024 at 3:55 AM, Anduin said:

At first I thought 'Yay!', but on second thought, is it really a good idea for the humans to come back from the brink? Yeah, I'm not so sure.

I think they still have to figure out a cure for the Simian Flu that left all the outside humans in a regressed, mute state.  Otherwise, this is basically a more literal 12 Monkeys. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I think they still have to figure out a cure for the Simian Flu that left all the outside humans in a regressed, mute state.  Otherwise, this is basically a more literal 12 Monkeys. 

Given how Mae spent days or even weeks in ape company without ill effects, they should take some blood samples or something. After dropping off the gadget, she goes to watch the radar dishes activating, but then what? She should hang around the base long enough to show them she's fine.

Watched this last night and I enjoyed it. It was longer than the other movies in the series but it didn't seem overly long. The ape clans developing was an interesting thing, since I liked in War how they established that apes in the wild could catch the virus and get intelligence.

I also like how they didn't even bother to hide how they are setting up more movies. I watched all 4 of them over the last month or so and they really work as a series. 

The only thing I found dumb was when they got into the bunker/silo Mae just turned a switch and the power came back on. It had been like 300 years and the power still works, that is more amazing than talking apes.

(edited)

I finally watched this just now on Hulu and it was boring as FUCK.

This latest addition to the series lacked the HEART Reeves’ last two and Wyatt’s movies had. Those I can watch over and over again. And even the original with Heston and McDowell. But this? Nope.

And more importantly, as far as I’m concerned: Owen Teague is NO Andy Serkis. No one has been able to convey so much emotion, nuance, and just…everything that Andy does, be he Caesar or Kong.

We know how the hoomans lost intelligence and turned into savages. There’s NO explanation or exposition given how some retained? Relearned? How they became intelligent again. And Mae can fuck off and die if she’s in the next one. Heifer was going to kill Noa at the end before changing her mind. She was using them all and would have killed them ALL, even Noa, Soona, and Anaya, who helped her. Or was she supposed to help them and then treated them like they were her minions, with her “stay here” as she looked for that hard drive or whatever.

I suppose some hoomans may have kept a record of what happened for these new ones to learn from, but again begs the question: HOW?

Sylva deserved a much more painful and torturous death. At least Proximus didn’t die easy. But damn, Raka wasn’t around long enough to teach Noa and his clan how to read or about Original Caesar!

And Noa shouldn’t have given Mae the symbol of Caesar!

What had me 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 was all those satellites and machines still working after disuse/out of power/abandoned for “many generations”(300 years +) and with no problem! Easy Peasy! Please.

So glad I didn’t waste my money to watch in the theater.

I think I’ll go and watch Rise again.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

We know how the hoomans lost intelligence and turned into savages. There’s NO explanation or exposition given how some retained? Relearned? How they became intelligent again.

I thought these ones and their ancestors had been hiding in bunkers since the plague broke out. Similar to Fallout vaults, but done seriously. Doesn't explain why Mae and William H. Macy are immune, though.

Then there were the ZEBRAS! Where did they come from? This is still set in the US, so what, did they escape from the zoos (if zoos had them) and just continue to breed? Looks like just Eagles and Horses survived. And that none of the apes knew what zebras were is telling.

But rewatching Rise was not only a palate cleanser, but proves to me this movie is just a pale shadow and not worth all the tongue baths it got in promoting it. Even the CGI of the apes was subpar.

Now I’m watching Dawn. Can’t do War because we lose Caesar.

And now I remember that Maurice taught how to read and write, so how did that get lost in the many generations later that none in Noa’s clan knew how to read or what books were?

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Anduin said:

I thought these ones and their ancestors had been hiding in bunkers since the plague broke out. Similar to Fallout vaults, but done seriously. Doesn't explain why Mae and William H. Macy are immune, though.

My understanding is that all the people who are intelligent never lost their intelligence. Either because they isolated to protect themselves from the virus or because they have immunity. 

22 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What had me 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 was all those satellites and machines still working after disuse/out of power/abandoned for “many generations”(300 years +) and with no problem! Easy Peasy! Please.

That is one of my most hated movies tropes, the unused base or building that is super isolated and hasn't been used in decades (or in this case centuries) and you just flick a switch and power comes on. Even though the power grid is also supposed to be dead. Like that is some super impressive fuel or batteries. It's the same thing that bugs me about the end of Captain America Civil War.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Then there were the ZEBRAS! Where did they come from? This is still set in the US, so what, did they escape from the zoos (if zoos had them) and just continue to breed? Looks like just Eagles and Horses survived. And that none of the apes knew what zebras were is telling.

And now I remember that Maurice taught how to read and write, so how did that get lost in the many generations later that none in Noa’s clan knew how to read or what books were?

There should be zoo animals everywhere. Zebras should be a common occurrence. As for reading and writing, maybe most of the books decayed over time. No books. And step one for writing, make paper. I never saw any of that happening. It's clear that the apes spread out from the desert oasis, or these ones could be descended from other groups, like Bad Ape.

6 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That is one of my most hated movies tropes, the unused base or building that is super isolated and hasn't been used in decades (or in this case centuries) and you just flick a switch and power comes on. Even though the power grid is also supposed to be dead. Like that is some super impressive fuel or batteries. It's the same thing that bugs me about the end of Captain America Civil War.

Yep, it's dumb. I should check TV Tropes, see if there are any good subversions of Ragnarok Proofing out there. Where everything has broken and fallen apart over time.

3 minutes ago, Anduin said:

As for reading and writing, maybe most of the books decayed over time. No books

But Raka had books. He showed one to Noa. Okay, it and others were from years ago and preserved, apparently. So let’s just set that aside, but to stop learning how to read? Or not even know about other animals. But whatever. I’ve already spent more time than I wanted trying to make sense out of all the inconveniences, hee. It’s also telling how quickly this became available for streaming without a “buy or subscribe” option. Meaning available on one of the more popular and often used apps.

(edited)

So far it's the lowest grossing of the reboot series overall (even though the domestic gross is actually higher than War's is). Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic are close to the scores of Rise (the second lowest in the reboot series), it's the only one in the reboot series without an A- score from CinemaScore, and had a score of B instead.

Edited by Palimelon
1 hour ago, Palimelon said:

So far it's the lowest grossing of the reboot series overall (even though the domestic gross is actually higher than War's is). Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic are close to the scores of Rise (the second lowest in the reboot series), it's the only one in the reboot series without an A- score from CinemaScore, and had a score of B instead.

Interesting. The writers and producers in the interviews said if Rise hadn’t been such a hit, they wouldn’t have done the sequels. While I love all three, the first one is my favorite with James Franco. It’s the one that resonates me the most, watching Caesar as an infant to adulthood.