Type keyword(s) to search

S.31E04: Patrick Stewart, Ralph Fiennes, Bella Ramsey, Joan Collins

• Start Topic

I enjoyed the show and worried a bit that with Patrick and Ralph there, that Bella wouldn't get her time.  I knew we would see more of her after Game of Thrones where she blew us away.

• Like 1
On 10/27/2023 at 7:51 AM, JustHereForFood said:

Patrick Stewart remembering his childhood was so nice.

Yes it was. 

The only place I see most of these people is on this show, so I'm pretty sure Patrick Stewart has told the story about Ian McKellen's note to him about Macbeth before (the important word in "tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow" is "and").

Shakespeare pretty much always flies over my head but this made sense and stuck in my memory.  It was particularly apt this time because he was passing it on to Ralph Fiennes, who's currently doing Macbeth.  But to be honest, if he's going to repeat stories, I'd much prefer the one about how he thought for his entire life he'd been circumcised, only to find out from his wife, and verified in a subsequent doctor visit, that he wasn't.   That's one hell of a guy who can tell that story on himself, and it makes want to read his memoir (to the point of actually buying it, because I doubt it'll show up in a Little Free Library any time soon (my sole source of books)).

And who knew there was pushback on having a bald Picard?  That seems crazy, in retrospect.  (I'll add that in my book, it's a rare white man who looks good bald, but yes yes yes to Patrick Stewart.)

I don't know this Bella Ramsey, but she's adorable.  And she really does look 12.

On 10/27/2023 at 6:39 PM, dubbel zout said:

I've noticed that after the guest says "Let's start the show" (or "Make it so," depending), we don't get the opening credits anymore, with the Barbie dolls and TV sets going into water.

I just checked this episode on Spectrum On Demand and they have the Barbies and TVs.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit that different platforms show different stuff.  On Battlebots this week, I recorded both the live version on Spectrum and the on demand version; the on-demand version was 15 minutes shorter and it wasn't just ads not being shown--the on-demand version abruptly cut away from one segment about 15 seconds before it was over, but the live version aired that part. 

• Like 2
On 10/27/2023 at 10:30 AM, MicheleinPhilly said:

Is Patrick Stewart not a member of SAG-AFTRA? I was surprised to hear them discuss Star Trek so extensively given they couldn't even mention Laura Linney's prior projects last week. 

I noticed this too. But he really didn’t talk about the show, per say. Rather he discussed his book where he describes his experience auditioning for Star Trek.  A weak distinction sure, but enough to keep them from sanctioning beloved actor Sir Patrick Stewart. 

• Like 2

In the Laura Linney episode they didn't/couldn't mention ANY of her other projects. And Dawn French mentioned the accent stuff in Death on the Nile, definitely a SAG-AFTRA affair. So where's the line? (That's rhetorical.) If beloved actor Sir Patrick Stewart should be sanctioned, then sanction the guy.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

In the Laura Linney episode they didn't/couldn't mention ANY of her other projects. And Dawn French mentioned the accent stuff in Death on the Nile, definitely a SAG-AFTRA affair. So where's the line? (That's rhetorical.) If beloved actor Sir Patrick Stewart should be sanctioned, then sanction the guy.

Bit he wasn't talking about his current project. He was talking about the series that ended years ago.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Bit he wasn't talking about his current project. He was talking about the series that ended years ago.

Technically, they're not supposed to talk about any work they've done for AMTP studios even if it ended a long time ago. 

But it has definitely been....squishy with actors showing up on talk shows, podcasts and other things.  They are pretty good about not promoting/talking about current projects but get sloppy when it comes to work from the past.