Type keyword(s) to search

Misheard Lyrics (Mondegreens): There's A Bathroom On the Right

AntiBeeSpray
  • Start Topic

John Denver, “Thank God I’m A Country Boy”:

Wrong: “I’d rather have my fiddle and my farm in tune”

Right:  “I’d rather have my fiddle and my farming tools

My version made sense to me because you’d obviously want to have both your fiddle and your farm running smoothly, even though it doesn’t completely rhyme with the previous line, which is “I’ve never been one of them money-hungry fools.”

Edited by smittykins
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3

Not me, but I just saw this on a FB thread and I’m LMAO.

The Fifth Dimension, “Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In”

Wrong:  “This is the dawning of the plate of asparagus”

Right:  “This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius”

• LOL 4

Alright I have a good one. Was listening to Digable Planets "Rebirth of Slick (Cool like dat)" on the way home tonight. This whole song is filled with misunderstood lyrics, but the very last line is "We out". All through high school, I swear I thought it was "meow". Never questioned it, never thought I was wrong. To me, it just fit the funkiness of the song. Like, these guys were cool cats, so why not end the song with "meow"? Made total sense. 

Don't quite remember when it dawned on me what they were actually saying, but I do remember relating this to a friend some years later, and I don't think I ever heard her laugh so hard, lol.

• LOL 2

The other day, I heard "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" by Elton John, a song from the early '70s, for possibly the first time.  I thought he kept saying, "But now I know that groceries never grow in New York City."  I thought that made sense, that you're not going to find much farmland there (though maybe someone could grow a vegetable garden at their place), but it didn't really fit in with the context of the song.  It turned out he was saying "rose trees."

Ever since OneRepublic's "I Ain't Worried" came out a couple years ago (especially when it was getting a lot of airplay), a friend would complain that she didn't like the part that goes, "1999, Pete Rose" because she doesn't like Rose.  I heard the line the same way and couldn't figure out what the group was singing about.  If they had said "1989" then it could have been some statement about when he was banned from baseball.  I heard the song again recently and decided to Google it to see if it were explained or if it was just supposed to be some random, free association thing.  It turns out they are saying, "1999, heroes."  I still don't really know what they mean, but my friend probably won't believe this is the actual lyric.

• LOL 1

My aunt ruled this topic. Just one, which isn't even that bad. "Our love's in jeopardy" (real), "I love you Stephanie" (auntie).

I swear if you listen to Africa by Toto and go with "There's nothing that a hundred men on Mars could ever do" instead of "There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do". As a kid, I loved that they thought Africa was on Mars. 

On 3/14/2023 at 4:33 PM, BlueSkies said:

I always thought the lyric sound like Get Your Booty on the bus now but its get your booty on the floor tonight 

It seriously not BUS?!! I'm not even joking. 

On 2/28/2024 at 10:51 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

My aunt ruled this topic. Just one, which isn't even that bad. "Our love's in jeopardy" (real), "I love you Stephanie" (auntie).

I swear if you listen to Africa by Toto and go with "There's nothing that a hundred men on Mars could ever do" instead of "There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do". As a kid, I loved that they thought Africa was on Mars. 

It seriously not BUS?!! I'm not even joking. 

https://genius.com/Technotronic-pump-up-the-jam-lyrics