Type keyword(s) to search

Blue Eye Samurai - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I’m not an anime fan, but this show (which seemed more anime-light, with a traditional story) drew me in and I enjoyed almost all of it. Mizu’s story I liked. Akemi’s story less so. Mizu did lose me at the part where she married and was betrayed by her mother and husband. By the time that appeared, I was well past that “cause” and didn’t need it. It seemed to slow things down. Also, it was a confusing timeline for me.

Edited by Ottis
  • Like 4

I had always assumed  'stuff' must have happened between Mizu leaving Swordfather and the present time and that we would get some flashbacks to that time period. Did not expect a marriage story - I think furthered the characterization. This was the one time in her life that she let down her guard and laid bare all her secrets - and she was not just betrayed but also rejected as a woman. Her husband had accepted her half-blood nature but when he was faced with her wild, competitive side that did not conform to societal expectations he rejected her and called her a monster. 

Akemi's story required a bit more backstory. One moment she was a naive princess and the next she knew her way around brothels. But when she started to quote Ono no Komachi I just had to love her. Her refusing the fairy tale ending with Taigen was an interesting choice. I wonder how show will keep up with her in season two.

• Like 2
(edited)

I love this show and am glad it's getting a season 2.  Sad that only a few people here seem to be interested in it.

It's easy to love Ringo but I came to love Taigen. 

I cringe that this show is in the kids section. It certainly is not for kids.

Edited by magdalene
  • Like 3

See, this is a good argument for the usefulness of reviewers.  I would have never watched this if I had not listened to a YouTuber reviewer .. who also had ignored it until reading his followers' recommendations in the comments.

This was very well done and the animation was great.
All the supporting characters had good story arcs also. 
The part where Mizu lived as a devoted wife felt a little out of left field. 

I would give it 7 out of 8: The last (8th) episode felt like they tried to hedge all their bets to set up another season.  Mizu kills everyone except the one person she had dedicated her life to killing..? .. not even cutting off a hand ..?  And single-handedly transporting Fowler and sailing a ship to London? Hmmm..

• Like 2
On 2/17/2024 at 6:11 PM, shrewd.buddha said:

I would give it 7 out of 8: The last (8th) episode felt like they tried to hedge all their bets to set up another season.  Mizu kills everyone except the one person she had dedicated her life to killing..? .. not even cutting off a hand ..?  And single-handedly transporting Fowler and sailing a ship to London? Hmmm..

I can buy her letting him live as he taunted her with knowledge about her biological mother. But the last scene definitely requires more context. Whose ship is that? And how did she manage to get him there? How did she get the resources for the journey? And instead of staring heroically at the horizon shouldn't she try to learn some English?

• Like 2

I just finished watching this series.  I became interested due to Shogun and because I love animation.  The animation here takes my breath away.  The 3D/2D style is so high-quality compared to other attempts I've seen, and puts Disney's current "rubber frog-face" animation style to shame.  (Seriously, Disney, that style was cutting edge 15 years ago.)

I have been enjoying Mizu's arc and am intrigued about what she will do next.  But I would have killed Fowler.  He's such a ridiculous final boss/Disney villain that if she lets him live, he'll probably concoct a far worse scheme than the one he almost succeeded in implementing.

I liked Akemi's arc for the most part, too, but nothing about her screams "ambitious ruler of Japan."  She is strong-willed and can be cunning and brave, but we haven't seen much else yet.  I'm guessing her husband will eventually become the shogun?

With Taigen being left behind, I wonder what's next for him?

It's interesting to observe the similarities/differences to Shogun, which is set roughly 30-50 years earlier.  It seems like a lot of Akemi's actions, if done in Shogun, would have required her father to take her head or for her to commit seppuku.  And that scene where Fowler approached the shogun, the one lord disembowled himself, I was expecting someone to be his second and cut his head off.

Great series and I'm thrilled it got a second season.

• Like 3