Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E02: Brought a Bazooka to a Tea Party

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I would certainly posit that to me, Survivor has gotten harder than it used to be.  Between little to no food, smaller tribes, and now the very potentiality of not having fire for many days, its a lot different from its first decade.  It has become much more "survivorish" (i.e. really being able to survive) than the social experiment it was once touted.  

I agree with that - and on the other hand, it seems like no one is overly worried about surviving - building shelters, catching food, etc.  A few do but the majority seem to be rather "meh" about it and just hoping time passes or they win rewards!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I would certainly posit that to me, Survivor has gotten harder than it used to be.  Between little to no food, smaller tribes, and now the very potentiality of not having fire for many days, its a lot different from its first decade.  It has become much more "survivorish" (i.e. really being able to survive) than the social experiment it was once touted.  

Kinda weird, I know, but I both agree and disagree:

• I agree in the sense that over the course of the series, Production has actively pursued attempts to make the player experience progressively more difficult: shorter food rations, repeated flint embargoes, etc.
  • I disagree, on two primary points: (a) much of the players’ discomforts are self-inflicted (resulting from them totally disregarding the survival aspect of Survivor and hitting the beach without a modicum of survival skills such as firemaking), and (b) the players are totally cognizant of the fact that while Production may jerk then around some, that same Production will also serve as an absolute safety net should they go too far in ignoring their own survival needs (food, shelter, etc.).
  • Like 6
21 hours ago, violet and green said:

Brandon was one of the ones who was coached by Adam. Who must at some point surely have said you need to prepare? Or do they imagine they will get by on their winsome charms?!

Coached by Adam? 

Yeah, Jeff touched briefly on it during last week's episode of his On Fire podcast. He cast a bit of shade at the past cast members who are now profiting off "coaching" people's audition videos. Brandon is apparently one of the people who paid for coaching.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Jeff was ridiculous for bashing Adam’s services. I don’t see how it’s any different than working with a coach who helps you in interviews for “regular” jobs. Maybe he’s pissed that Adam knows what casting is looking for, when he previously wanted that criteria to be more elusive?

• Like 2
On 10/11/2023 at 2:11 AM, Nashville said:

I disagree, on two primary points: (a) much of the players’ discomforts are self-inflicted (resulting from them totally disregarding the survival aspect of Survivor and hitting the beach without a modicum of survival skills such as firemaking), and (b) the players are totally cognizant of the fact that while Production may jerk then around some, that same Production will also serve as an absolute safety net should they go too far in ignoring their own survival needs (food, shelter, etc.).

I agree that it does seem that fewer people are as prepared for Survivor as they used to be in the past, and yes people do seem to just hope they survive long enough to get to the rewards.  i guess with a shorter season, the number of those days are  shorter so maybe the lack of food doesn't last all that long.

And yes, I'm sure production would absolutely intervene if someone was really in trouble, we have seen them provide water to severely dehydrated people.  but i am not sure production would do much more than that, they won't give food i don't think.  if a contestant's condition gets too bad, they will just have medical pull them.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Survivor at one time do weigh-ins? Did they stop? I recall people being weighed and their weight loss being made kind of a big deal.

Yes, back when the show still did its Ponderosa bits.  The videos picked up as the TC victims came down the Walk Of Shame to the med tent and the doctor did their post-elimination evaluation - which included a weigh-in, with the doc telling the (former) player how much weight they’d lost since their pre-show evaluation.

I really miss that part, btw.  😕

• Love 1