Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Episode 5

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Why do they keep calling it college? I thought they were in senior year. I also don't see how a high school senior or even a college freshman with no formal training gets a radio program. Jean myus

I don't care for 'they haven't cried yet' plot when someone passes. You don't have to. Some people don't. 

Aimes not knowing how the pictures get out of the film is brilliant. 

I guess we can chalk Jean being unraveled due to postpartum depression.

This debate and election is silly. Although, I loved the principal being just so not into it. And Ruby's incredulity. 

I don't think we're getting nearly enough of Adam's plot. 

2 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

The date crashers scene at the cinema really pissed me off, plus Brief Encounter is such a good movie!

I don't think Otis could do much about his aunt, but Viv could have taken Jackson aside and said 'let's go get coffee in the morning and we can talk all about it.' 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Why do they keep calling it college? I thought they were in senior year.

The system us different in the UK; my understanding is sixth form college is the final part of secondary school for those who want to qualify for post-secondary education, basically equivalent to junior and senior year but not mandatory (which is why Adam could opt not to go). For this reason, Brits only refer to undergrad as university, whereas in the US a university is specifically an institution that grants graduate degrees.

25 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't think Otis could do much about his aunt, but Viv could have taken Jackson aside and said 'let's go get coffee in the morning and we can talk all about it.' 

Almost everyone acted really obtusely. Jo certainly could have been more considerate, not just by not getting plastered but at the very least by not planting herself between Otis and Maeve, and Jackson knew how much Viv likes Beau.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, caitmcg said:

For this reason, Brits only refer to undergrad as university, whereas in the US a university is specifically an institution that grants graduate degrees.

Oh, so these 'mock exams' are some kind of SATs that we'd take? I don't know what university is like in the UK, but that college on this show doesn't seem to be preparing anyone for university.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Oh, so these 'mock exams' are some kind of SATs that we'd take?

No, A-levels, which are subject exams based on courses of study. I think the closest US approximation might be AP exams, but these are required for university admission and it will be based on them, rather than on the whole body of secondary school grades. That’s my understanding, anyway (I’m American.)

• Useful 1

Good god, Jo is THAT person… not only a mooch, but completely self-absorbed. Guy stands her up so she not only mooches a free ticket from Otis and Maeve but takes over their date by sitting in the middle so she can bitch and moan and have all attention focused on her. And then she refuses to STFU or stop throwing popcorn at people because she thinks she can just do whatever the hell she wants, wherever and whenever. Worst case of Main Character Syndrome ever.

Was Maeve trying to get pregnant there in the cemetery, or what?

• Like 1
On 9/24/2023 at 5:33 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Oh, so these 'mock exams' are some kind of SATs that we'd take? I don't know what university is like in the UK, but that college on this show doesn't seem to be preparing anyone for university.

It really bothers me that this college is so OTT, no one seems to mock anything other than Ruby, and no one seems focused on academics other than Viv.  Maeve is lucky she got out of there.  Also, I really dislike Abbi.  I don't see why the whole school would seemingly fall i behind her.  Teenagers are often sarcastic.  Too many of these characters are reading as caricatures because she doesn't allow them to express themselves around her. 

"It's not a hoo-ha, it's a vulva."  Thank you, Jean.

LOL at Hannah Gadsby (I can't remember their character's name) and the chili oil, and I also liked the talk with Jean about women not seeking medical help because they're embarrassed. 

Jean and her sister were funny together in the bathroom.

I cannot stand Beau's insecure ass.  He's going to turn out to be a stage five clinger at best and abusive at worst, so I hope Viv doesn't get too swept away by him and sees the red flags.

• Like 1