Type keyword(s) to search

The Super Models - General Discussion

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Apple TV+ 4 part documentary series on 4 iconic supermodels premiering September 20 2023

The highly anticipated series features exclusive access to the iconic Supermodels - Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista and Christy Turlington - and will debut globally on Wednesday, September 20 Docuseries also highlights never-before-seen commentary from luminaries in the world of fashion and pop culture

Full press release http://thefutoncritic.com/video/2023/09/06/video-apple-tvplus-unveils-exciting-new-trailer-for-the-documentary-event-the-super-models-540113/20230906apple01/

Trailer

I watched the first two episodes. I remember how popular they all were. 

I think Christy has aged the best, followed by Naomi. Linda doesn't look as good now to me. Cindy is still very pretty but a little masculine looking in some shots. 

My favorite during that time was Cindy, then Christy. I always found Linda odd looking. I remember Naomi being volatile. 

One thing I didn't get was they said there was no retouching then. Photoshop didn't exist but I thought before that, touching up photos was called airbrushing. Playboy has been doing it for decades. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

I was an 80’s teen so I’m loving this. Just finished ep 3, the Freedom video remains legendary. Christy has aged the best, but my gosh these women have some good genes. I remember always thinking Linda was a bit of a bitch and to this day I want Cindy’s hair. The Oprah segment clip where she objectifies Cindy was a moment. Ugh, Oprah, really bad look. If you were of this era, a really fun ride.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I watched the first two episodes. I remember how popular they all were. 

I think Christy has aged the best, followed by Naomi. Linda doesn't look as good now to me. Cindy is still very pretty but a little masculine looking in some shots. 

My favorite during that time was Cindy, then Christy. I always found Linda odd looking. I remember Naomi being volatile. 

One thing I didn't get was they said there was no retouching then. Photoshop didn't exist but I thought before that, touching up photos was called airbrushing. Playboy has been doing it for decades. 

They definitely airbrushed those photos. There have even been articles & clips on tv about it.

Christy looks like she has aged the most naturally with super good genes.

Cindy is not pretty at all..look at her without all the makeup caked on & her hair done professionally. Very Manley  her daughter and everyone says it is a beautiful actually looks like an insect to .her daughter, who everyone says this is so beautiful actually looks like an insect to me. Cindy bugs the shit out of me. I can’t believe that she was calling out Oprah in that one clip in the show. You have nothing to say about something that happened 30 years ago times were different the.   And you’re a model!  for god sake, your lot in life is to be objectified by other people and in return you get millions of dollars.Beotch  

Naomi looks really fake to me also for her age, can she possibly look that young?  Does she wear contacts because I could’ve sworn in her early pictures she had brown eyes and now it’s just jarring looking.

now, Linda. Years ago she had breast cancer and has had a recurrence in a very short time. So of course she is not going to look well. Just think of what all the drugs and chemo are doing to her body. I feel horrible for her. About what she did with the weird liposuction thing I don’t know why she even did that in the first place. And it’s really unfortunate that she has suffered seemingly irreparable damage to her body  .so after all that, I think she still looks good  

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Cindy bugs the shit out of me. I can’t believe that she was calling out Oprah in that one clip in the show. You have nothing to say about something that happened 30 years ago times were different the.   And you’re a model!  for god sake, your lot in life is to be objectified by other people and in return you get millions of dollars.Beotch

I didn’t mind Oprah saying how beautiful she was (she’s a model that’s her job) but I hated that man SPEAKING for her. Why was he answering the questions?!!!

• Like 1

I absolutely loved this.  I lived it growing up but it was interesting to revisit it and learn so much more about the time.  I liked how they focused individually on each lady.

Cindy was always my least favorite.  She's now a combination of dull (which I always thought she was) and arrogant.  Funny how they focused so much on the end about Kaia and not on Presley.  What a winner with his face tattoos.  

Everyone loves Christy best and thinks she's the most beautiful.  I'm in that camp.  What a warm and wonderful person.

I understand her volatile side, but I gained a bit of a new perspective on Naomi and how hard she had to fight and stand up for herself.  It was very touching when they said that early on Christy and Linda wouldn't walk in shows unless they booked Naomi too.  

Linda still remains a bit of a mystery.  I can't quite figure her out.  But out of all of the ladies, she's the one who I think lived, breathed and embodied "fashion" the most.  It is her entire being.  She's the most legendary.  Christy is the most beautiful but Linda is the queen. 

It was amazing to me how these ordinary teenaged girls were just put on planes alone and sent overseas to start their careers.  How scary and dangerous!  Christy alluded to staying in the townhome of the one scout who had all the horrible accusations against him but it didn't sound like anything happened to her.  They were all so completely vulnerable.  

I loved the deep friendship that is still so evident between Naomi and Christy.  That little polaroid picture from their first shoot.  I've been reading online that there's been a falling out between Naomi and Linda but no one really seems to know the reason why. 

These women were so much more than clothes hangars.  They were such an integral part of the artistic process that went on with the designers.  Their relationships and the whole creative environment was really cool to see.  

The downfall/end of the supermodel was interesting.  I know Kate Moss and the waif's coming on the scene changed everything.  But I also thought magazines really got away from using models, and advertising completely changed to using actresses and famous women instead.  I didn't remember the faceless masses of the eastern European models and that the designers were tired of the attention that the supermodels were getting (instead of them/the clothes). 

Overall, just an excellent program.     

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I didn’t know how young these women were when they started modeling, 14, 15. And flying to Paris and other places alone! 
Cindy is from my area originally. She’s very intelligent that’s why she comes across as haughty. She shouldn’t have been offended by the Oprah remark, it was a different time and mind set. 
I never liked Naomi because there was always stories about her being a bitch and difficult. This documentary changed my mind about her. She had struggles the other girls didn’t. 
I liked how they all supported each other and went on to work in charities after their hey days were over. 
Poor Linda, she got disfigured by the cool sculpting and then got breast cancer, hers was probably the saddest story. 

• Like 4

I was a teenager in the 80’s but never was plugged into the pop culture scene so a lot of this was only vaguely familiar (I’ve never seen the George Michael video, for instance).  It’s been really interesting.  I think my favorite moment so far was hearing Linda have to justify her paycheck.  She gave a great answer.  Just the moment of Joan Rivers talking about the models was enough to make my blood boil; she really hated women, didn’t she?

I don’t know why I am surprised at the racism Naomi had to deal with, but yet I am surprised and saddened.  Christy and Linda were awesome.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 9/26/2023 at 8:17 AM, Straycat80 said:

I didn’t know how young these women were when they started modeling, 14, 15. And flying to Paris and other places alone! 
Cindy is from my area originally. She’s very intelligent that’s why she comes across as haughty. She shouldn’t have been offended by the Oprah remark, it was a different time and mind set. 
I never liked Naomi because there was always stories about her being a bitch and difficult. This documentary changed my mind about her. She had struggles the other girls didn’t. 
I liked how they all supported each other and went on to work in charities after their hey days were over. 
Poor Linda, she got disfigured by the cool sculpting and then got breast cancer, hers was probably the saddest story. 

I didn't realize Naomi was left out of some shows and photo shoots even back then at the height of her popularity. She looks good now but it looks like she's had the dreaded cheek implants so many celebrities are getting now. 

Christy is stunning. Gosh the photos of her were beautiful, especially the Eternity ones. She also seems pretty down to earth. (I also think her husband is hot.)

I don't really like Cindy and don't think she comes off great on this series. However, I understand her comment about Oprah. Brooke Shields said something similar about Barbara Walters, who interviewed her as a teenager. She did the seem thing: had Brooke stand up and asked her her measurements. I don't remember Brooke commenting on it until this year when her documentary aired.

Here's the clip:

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 2
21 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I didn't realize Naomi was left out of some shows and photo shoots even back then at the height of her popularity. She looks good now but it looks like she's had the dreaded cheek implants so many celebrities are getting now. 

Christy is stunning. Gosh the photos of her were beautiful, especially the Eternity ones. She also seems pretty down to earth. (I also think her husband is hot.)

I don't really like Cindy and don't think she comes off great on this series. However, I understand her comment about Oprah. Brooke Shields said something similar about Barbara Walters, who interviewed her as a teenager. She did the seem thing: had Brooke stand up and asked her her measurements. I don't remember Brooke commenting on it until this year when her documentary aired.

Here's the clip:

These women need to realize their JOB  and the outrageous income from it is because of their physical looks & it is their overpaid job to be scrutinized. Cry a River into your millions of dollars 💩

I knew about Linda's bad experience with Cool Sculpting, but I didn't realize she had breast cancer and other health issues with multiple surgeries. I hope she is all right. She eyes are so beautiful. In some of the shots they showed, I was distracted by her eyes. 

Interesting that guy flat-out said Kate Moss isn't beautiful like Cindy, Christy, etc. It was the start of a different era of models, but I don't think they were 6 inches shorter as the woman in the clip said woman. They are more like 2-3 inches shorter. Kate Moss is 5'7 and Cindy and Christy are 5'9 and 5'10.

As for Cindy recreating the Pepsi commercial... I don't now. I'm not sure she should've done that. She looked good but there was something sad about it to me. I can't put my finger on it. 

Naomi looks like she's had cheekbone implants. Her cheekbones are much larger than in the footage. The menopause line made me chuckle. 

Cindy looks good from a distance but in close-up, she looks a bit manly to me. But when she was younger, she looked stunning in close-up. I think Christy has aged the best. 

I know they all moved into different areas post-modeling and I appreciate Christy's work with charities, but the segments didn't interest me as much as the modeling stuff. 

• Like 2