Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E16: Qualifiers 3 / S18.E17: Qualifiers 3 Results

• Start Topic

Tuesday, September 5th - Eleven performers take the stage live from the Pasadena Civic Auditorium as judging is turned over to the audience to vote for their favorite performer to move to the final round.

Wednesday, September 6th - Two acts from the previous night's show move on to the final round of competition.

If you're watching after the initial airing, winners will be revealed. 

• Warrior Squad: I'm kinda over these giant group acrobatics...
  • Magician whose name I already forgot (ok, didn't actually hear): That was terrible. What the hell were the judges watching?
  • Oh, yeah, his name is Trigg Watson. I'm going to forget I heard that.
  • Summer Rios: She sang a song. It was emotional and heartfelt. I guess.
  • I'm sorry, but Simon complaining that things are "overproduced" like that's the performer's fault...really? Who is in charge of the production?
  • I do not understand them gushing over the boring magician and criticizing this girl who can actually sing. (I mean it's not really my kind of music so I'm meh about it overall and was only half listening, but she's not a bad singer.)
  • The Parent Jam: Some high school flashbacks with the music. Not complaining. The dancing? ...eh. I agree with Howie. As a thing for parents and kids to do for fun, sure, but a million dollar act? Heck no.
  • Philip Bowen: I liked the music, could have done without the yelling. 
  • Mzansi Youth Choir: Okay, Nightbirde's story is sad but I feel like this whole tribute thing is a little over the top. Am I a terrible person? They were okay tonight. Not my favorite Fleetwood Mac song but I don't hate it.
  • Tap Dancer whose name I didn't catch because I had to run outside: I like him. I'm sure he won't win, but I like him.
  • Oh, yeah, his name is Justin Jackson. I might remember that one. At least until the end of the episode.
  • MOS: meh.
  • Barry Brewer, Jr: "A comic has never won and I feel like they've just been waiting for me." Uh, no. No, they haven't. (I did laugh at the Simba joke, but that's about it.)
  • Really, Simon, you've never seen a singing comedian?
  • Herwan Legaillard, sword swallowing aerialist: Um, I need to get something in the other room....brb.
  • Putri Ariani: Maybe I'm just grumpy but I didn't love it. Objectively speaking, she is very good. Maybe it's just the song arrangement.

I really don't think I care if any of these acts move on. If I were voting, I guess I'd vote for Justin Jackson, because I like tap dancing (though I'll be very surprised if he moves on), and Putri, because we all know she's moving on with or without my vote.

• Like 4

I think I know why AGT producers have never asked me to be one of the judges.  I would be brutally honest with my critiques and of course that's just not the way they do things.  If honesty is my thing, well then here it goes....

.  Warrior Squad - I liked them but somewhere in the middle of their performance, my mind wondered a bit and wished they would cut their act short.

.  Trigg Watson - I love magic acts, but this one seemed like he made a mistake and had a "Plan B" just in case.  I'm with Simon on this one.  What was going on out there?  

.  Summer Rios - She has a good voice but something was missing or strange about this act.  Maybe it was her unattractive facial expressions.  Maybe the song? 

.  The Parent Jam - Howie buzzed them tonight.  He should've buzzed them in their audition.   This was an entertaining high school talent show performance.  One of the parents said they have already broken borders.  Translation:  They know they have no chance of winning!

.  Philip Bowen - I didn't like it.  I thought I knew the song but then it turned into a lot of noise.  At least he lost 50 lbs.!  Good for him.

.  Mzansi Choir - They're riding on that Songbird tribute.  They are not a million dollar act and I would not pay to see them.  

.  Justin Jackson - I couldn't do what he does.  He is talented, but all that tapping would make my head hurt.  A big NO!

.  MOS - I liked them a lot!  They are unique.  Here are four young women playing brass instruments and dancing and doing a pretty good job.  I don't know if I wold pay to see them, but I would be very entertained!

.  Barry Brewer Jr. - I didn't like his audition because he brought in race a bit.  Tonight I thought was better and I actually "giggled". 

.  Herran Legaillrd - Nah man.  I was bored.  There are too many of these acts that seem to go nowhere.

.  Putri Ariani - It's funny when people start oooing and awwing and clapping whenever a singer sings a big note or is starting to get there.  They did just that with Putri.  It's like no matter if she makes a mistake, the audience will applaud her.  Let's be honest here, she is talented but the sympathy vote is getting her to the finals.

First Five - Warrior Squad, Mzansi Choir, MOS, Barry Brewer, Putri Ariani

Top Three - Mzansi Choir, Barry Brewer, Putri Ariani

Two moving to the Finals - Mzansi Choir and Putri Ariani.

• Like 3

Worse than last week. There was only one act I really liked. 

• Warrior Squad - I barely paid attention. They're ok, but we've seen it before. 
  • Trigg Watson - the trick was ok, but way too long and the delivery is hokey. I thought he was going to get buzzed by Simon. 
  • Summer Rios - I went in rooting for her, but the song choice and mix were not in her favor. 
  • Phil Wright & Parent Jam - kiddie nonsense. Howie was right to buzz them. 
  • Philip Bowen - there may be such a thing as too much enthusiasm. 
  • Mzansi Youth Choir - they were ok. Very likable. Good chance of going through. 
  • Justin Jackson - he was ok. The jump roping was gimmicky, and talented enough not to need gimmicks. 
  • MOS - I enjoyed their audition, and I like the concept, but I got bored in the middle. 
  • Barry Brewer Jr. - likeable, good delivery. What was missing? Oh, the jokes. Material wasn't there. 
  • Herwan Legaillard - I actually liked his act. Strange combo, but he works it. 
  • Putri Ariani - this goes against everything I thought I believed in, but I absolutely loved it. Great song choice, great performance, great production value. Obviously going through tonight and good chance of winning the whole thing. 

@rr2911 called it, Putri and Mzansi going through. Outside chance for Barry Brewer and Summer Rios. Anyone else would really surprise me. 

• Like 1

This semi was much more loaded with legit finalists than last week.

I was thinking in real time that they could have just stopped the show after the 2nd act.  

Simon's bemoaning overproducing is as rich a thing as he has ever uttered.  He took that art to new heights, for gosh sakes.  He does, however, know from such interference.  Thanks for the guffaw, Senor Cowell.

For whatever reason, I was struck by the Mzansi Choir's fusion of the African sound with that song.  It really, really, worked for me.  I believe this is an act that could do well on tour with the right marketing.

Howie was having a  no good, dirty, rotten day.  He wasn't wrong with his criticisms, but that was his best Piers imitation evah.  Simon was not having fun with how far Mandel was taking it.

Sure, the tumbling act was derivative.  However, the move when one of them got launched  and flipped into a hand hold by someone standing on another's shoulder was breathtaking.  The grip was almost lost, but it was saved. 

Astounding.

Techno "magic" is a major turnoff for me.  It's the equivalent of autotune for me.  The nerd partner onscreen was a massive turnoff - almost to the point of revulsion for me.  For the life of me, I could not figure out which, if any, of the glitches were built in as part of the act, or actual screw-ups.  The patter messaging was just gross.  It was about as sincere as Ryan Seacrest hosting anything.

I very, very much wanted MOS to crush it.  The musical execution was fine.  It was not inspired.  The choreo was fine.  But, who cares?  If they miraculously survive this gauntlet of worthy acts, fine.  If they do not, fine.  

Putri is winning this whole thing.  Ugh.  She certainly is worthy.  I'm really sick to death, though, of the hype and the cloying marketing of her.  Giving her the pimp slot was not right - bordering on unfair.   

My guess is that the second act going through will be the Warriors or Mzansi.  Either is fine by me.  The wild card pick may just come from this ep, too.

• Like 2

I wasn’t home to comment in real time but I did watch. Not at all surprised by the final two. Still feel bad for all the people leaving when they have to listen to Simon’s “America really does make the right decision” spiel. “All you other people backstage would have been a big mistake.”

• Like 1

Chapel Hart was stunningly awful.  Rotsa ruck selling that song.  They had one of the greatest introductions to Ameriker I've seen (Dolly Partonesque song).  A shame they've never come close to matching it.

No shock with the named top 5 and the later reveals.  Once again, they took any sliver of suspense away by not first naming Putri as a finalist.  

I believe Simon in his reaction gave away his intentions to make Warriors the Wild Card.  I would endorse such.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I believe Simon in his reaction gave away his intentions to make Warriors the Wild Card.  I would endorse such.

Me too.  I really was surprised the Warriors did not go through.  And I hated that the horn playing girls did not go through either.  They are a different act and it could be a Vegas act.  Oh, and the sword swallowing guy was amazing only to be beat out by the singing group that is NOT Vegas material.

This show has been limping along for a while now.  I wish someone would put it out of its misery.  Most of these competition shows have turned into award shows that love a good sad sob story.  Talent is not needed if your back story pulls on heart strings and make us good.  

One last thing.  How do people vote on this show.  Typically, when it gets to this point the contestant's number is plastered all over the screen and it is mentioned at least a thousand times each show.  How do people vote?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, gaPeach said:

One last thing.  How do people vote on this show.  Typically, when it gets to this point the contestant's number is plastered all over the screen and it is mentioned at least a thousand times each show.  How do people vote?

There's a website on NBC's site. All done online. I always wondered how true the voting results are. 

16 minutes ago, gaPeach said:

This show has been limping along for a while now.  I wish someone would put it out of its misery.  Most of these competition shows have turned into award shows that love a good sad sob story.  Talent is not needed if your back story pulls on heart strings and make us good.  

I fully agree, but while the ratings are down, they are still higher than most shows. So we're going to be seeing this for a while. 

Personally, I may have to skip next year. It's really a chore for me to watch this, so why am I doing it? 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Chapel Hart was stunningly awful.  Rotsa ruck selling that song.  They had one of the greatest introductions to Ameriker I've seen (Dolly Partonesque song).  A shame they've never come close to matching it.

No shock with the named top 5 and the later reveals.  Once again, they took any sliver of suspense away by not first naming Putri as a finalist.  

I'll just say my feeling about modern country music were not changed by that performance. 

I hope this trend of not calling the obvious finalist first doesn't continue for the next 2 shows. 

• Like 2
On 9/8/2023 at 10:52 AM, Superclam said:

Personally, I may have to skip next year. It's really a chore for me to watch this, so why am I doing it? 

Part of the fun of watching used to be the conversation here, but even that dies down pretty quickly these days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1