Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation: News From Phone Etchings and Black Helicopters

• Start Topic

NYCC 2023: The Walking Dead Universe

The Walking Dead Universe is descending upon New York Comic Con 2023. AMC announced NYCC attendees will be the first to watch The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon season finale (premiering October 15th on AMC and AMC+) and will receive an exclusive first look at new scenes and teasers from the network's 2024 series, including The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live, Orphan Black: Echoes, and Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire season 2. The convention, which returns to the Javits Center October 12th—October 15th, is set to host a post-season panel Q&A with Daryl Dixon showrunner David Zabel, executive producer Greg Nicotero, and TWD Universe chief content officer Scott M. Gimple. 

The Ones Who Live sneak peek, followed by the Daryl Dixon screening and Q&A, will take place Thursday, October 12th, from 4:15 p.m. – 6:15 p.m. ET on the Empire Stage. AMC's full lineup and schedule is below. 

AMC released the first footage from the retitled The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live, the upcoming spin-off series reuniting Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and Michonne (Danai Gurira), during its San Diego Comic-Con panel in July. The annual confab is also where AMC announced early second season pickups for Daryl Dixon and The Walking Dead: Dead City, the New York-set spin-off following Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) into post-apocalyptic Manhattan.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/new-york-comic-con-2023-the-walking-dead-daryl-dixon-rick-michonne/

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Is that AI? It doesn't look like actual photographs. 

It's 2am here so my eyes are a little heavy, I think you're right, the kissing photo is from a different source, how does that look? I must be heading to my bed 😴

The newest TV Guide Magazine (2024 preview issue) also confirms that The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live will premiere on AMC on February 25 at 9pm EST and also that this limited series will have 6 episodes.

(edited)

It could go either way couldn't it?

They've show what they're capable of with the Daryl spin off, dead city was also watchable and well made although the logic underpinning the narrative was a bit shaky and didn't stand up to close scrutiny.

This will have a decent budget and they'll have drafted in some decent writers, the trailers certainly look slick and visually impressive but that won't be enough. The world building of the 'wider TWD universe' aspect of this will need to work otherwise it will just be world beyond with a bigger budget.

In the past they've proved themselves to be not so good at the world building stuff, in WB the CRM are just pantomime villains who commit genocide for reasons that make no logical sense, whenever the CRM has cropped up in the other shows it's always seemed to me that they were just throwing in random details to confuse us, like they hadn't actually thought of any overarching plan that put all these details together into something that makes up a bigger coherent picture.

Even when the CRM appears as a major plot point of WB, we're still no wiser. apparently they're some sort of residual US govt that incorporates aspect of the former US military, but even that is a guess.

The CRM has to have a believable backstory and logical motivations. They can do this, but more often than not they don't manage to. they'll pull out all the stops for this as the main star vehicle, I'm going to watch it and hope for the best, but i wouldn't want to bet real money on the outcome.

Edited by BasilSeal
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Yesterday was AMC's day during the Television Critics Association (TCA) Winter Press Tour...

AMC Networks Unveils Spring Premieres and New Series Announcements at TCA – “The Terror” Season 3, 3rd Anne Rice Immortal Universe Series, “The Braxtons,” and More
by Alex Reif | Feb 6, 2024
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/entertainment/amc-networks-spring-2024-tca-announcements/ 

AMC & AMC+:
The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live (AMC Original Series)

• New Series Premieres Sunday, February 25
  • The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live presents an epic love story of two characters changed by a changed world. Kept apart by distance. By an unstoppable power. By the ghosts of who they were. Rick and Michonne are thrown into another world, built on a war against the dead… And ultimately, a war against the living. Can they find each other and who they were in a place and situation unlike any they've ever known before? Are they enemies? Lovers? Victims? Victors? Without each other, are they even alive — or will they find that they, too, are the Walking Dead? The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live stars Andrew Lincoln, Danai Gurira, Pollyanna McIntosh, Lesley-Ann Brandt, Terry O’Quinn, Matthew August Jeffers, Craig Tate and Andrew Bachelor, among others.

How The Walking Dead Universe Expands In The Ones Who Live Spinoff Explained By Andrew Lincoln
BY NICK BYTHROW    FEB 7, 2024
https://screenrant.com/walking-dead-ones-who-live-universe-expansion-explained-andrew-lincoln/ 

Speaking during the TCA Press Tour, Lincoln revealed how the upcoming The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live expands on the zombie franchise. The actor described the series as "operatic," while saying its purpose is filling in the missing gaps for Rick and Michonne's stories. Check out what Lincoln had to say below:

We wanted to sort of make it a bit more operatic and hopefully shade in a universe [of] what the grownups have been doing while we’ve been scrabbling around in the dirt for 10 years.
The core antagonistic group of The Ones Who Live will be the mysterious CRM, a large, militarized organization that has been teased throughout multiple shows in the franchise. Their power seemingly stretches across the United States, having made appearances in Texas during Fear the Walking Dead and being able to cross state borders throughout The Walking Dead: World Beyond. Because of how massive they are, they could be the most dangerous group the feature in the franchise.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live’ Was Originally Set As A Movie, But Could It Return For Season 2? “Anything Is Possible,” Says Zombie Chief
By Peter White    February 6, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/02/the-walking-dead-the-ones-who-live-season-2-anything-is-possible-1235817289/ 

The project, which stars Andrew Lincoln and Danai Gurira, reprising their respective Rick Grimes and Michonne characters, originally was set as The Walking Dead franchise’s first feature-length movie before transitioning into a six-part limited series.

It was designed to wrap up the story arcs for Grimes and Michonne.

However, Scott Gimple, Chief Content Officer of The Walking Dead universe and showrunner of The Ones Who Live, which is the universe’s sixth spinoff, teased that it might not be that limited.

“Anything is possible — even if Rick dies in the last episode, anything is possible,” he said. “We’re focused on this one right now. But this one came together in a really amazing way, where there were all sorts of plans. And then the world changed and we altered those plans.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I don't think the answers below spoil anything we don't already know...

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, Fire Country, The Rookie, The Way Home, The Ones Who Live and More!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   FEBRUARY 7, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/ncis-season-21-spoilers-jimmy-jessica-romance-mcgee-family/ 

Anything on The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live would be lovely! –Carrie
Appearing at the TCA winter press tour on Tuesday, Andrew Lincoln said of the awaited Rick/Michonne spinoff premiering Feb. 25, “This has been a long time coming, this story, and this is a love story. The DNA of the original [The Walking Dead] episode was a man in search of his family, and that DNA is very much in this story — but we wanted to sort of make it a bit more operatic.”

Will there be a second season of The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live? –Leslie
“I would say ‘anything is possible,'” franchise CCO Scott Gimple answered at TCA. “We’re focused on this one right now, but this one came together in a really amazing way where there were all sorts of plans, and the world changed and we altered those plans, and we wound up with something we really liked.”

Edited by tv echo

So, all this talk about this show being 'operatic' makes me think they will sing all of the lines rather than speak them.  Oh, and that there will be a long, drawn-out death scene.....(I have very limited knowledge of operas...)

• LOL 5

Scott M. Gimple Talks The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live At Los Angeles Premiere
Screen Rant Plus   Feb 11, 2024

Danai Gurira Talks The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live At Los Angeles Premiere

Terry O'Quinn Talks The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live At Los Angeles Premiere

Lesley-Ann Brandt Talks The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live At Los Angeles Premiere

Lennie James Talks The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live At Los Angeles Premiere

On 2/12/2024 at 11:36 AM, seacliffsal said:

So, all this talk about this show being 'operatic' makes me think they will sing all of the lines rather than speak them.  Oh, and that there will be a long, drawn-out death scene.....(I have very limited knowledge of operas...)

So… Cop Rock, apocalypse-style? 😧

• LOL 4

Can we have the ep1 & 2 discussion pages up please,

Due to VPN connection problems I haven't seen ep1 yet but have managed to see ep2. All ill say is that it was nice to go into it not knowing anything that was going to happen, the first time in a long time of being surprised.

• Like 1

It will be a wild ride. "The new world is gonna need Rick Grimes." TM Abraham Ford. 

I guess there is no spoiler thread for us advanced screeners. I look forward to watching again live with my people (That's this forum. You all are my people.) Been here since season 1 and I'm determined to send how it all ends.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

‘The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live’ Has Gutted Rick Grimes
Laura Bradley   Feb 25, 2024
https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/the-walking-dead-the-ones-who-live-review-sad-rick-grimes-is-back 

Rick Grimes has had more eras than Taylor Swift—from “Ricktatorship” Rick, to Farmer Rick, to Feral Rick, to Cop-on-the-Edge Rick—and one of Lincoln’s greatest gifts has been to make each of these phases make sense. Here, he’s just as grounded as always, making each and every one of Rick’s competing impulses legible on his weathered, terrified face. Similarly, Gurira remains an absolute marvel to watch: In physical fight scenes, you can feel her every blow, and in the episodes that follow her reunion with Rick, she seamlessly flies through every big, understandable feeling in the book: joy, heartbreak, anger, you name it. Supporting actors like Tate, Brandt, and Lost star Terry O’Quinn as the mysterious Major General Beale deepen the show’s emotional well even further, but in reality, it’s all about Richonne.

‘The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live’ Pair on Bringing That Iconic Comic Book Scene to Harrowing Life
BY JOSH WIGLER    FEBRUARY 25, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/walking-dead-the-ones-who-live-premiere-andrew-lincoln-rick-grimes-hand-1235835345/ 

“I’ve been banging on about this for years,” Lincoln tells The Hollywood Reporter. “I’ve been trying to get my hand chopped off!”
“This is more than just a nod. It’s honoring the story,” says Lincoln. “It’s what Kirkman did. It’s the nature of the world that we’re inhabiting in this. These people are not superheroes. They are people in extreme situations, doing horrendous things — sometimes brilliant but sometimes horrific things — in order to stay alive and keep those around them alive. So I was very keen to do this, and to hopefully have a very shocking first act that makes people sit back and think, ‘Oh, we’re in for a bit of a ride here. This is different. There’s real jeopardy here.'”
“This is Rick Grimes,” Gurira tells THR. “He’s been gone for eight or nine years. We know him to be a man who would do anything, everything, to get back to his family. This is actually the most clear, character-specific justification for why he hasn’t done it yet. It really connects the audience back to Rick. This is what he would do to get back to Michonne. This is what he would do to get back to his family.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

Matt’s Inside Line: Get Scoop on NCIS, Criminal Minds, Ghosts, All American, The Rookie, Lopez vs. Lopez and More!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   FEBRUARY 26, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/criminal-minds-season-17-spoilers-time-jump-prentiss-struggling/ 

Spoiler

I LOVE THE WALKING DEAD. Do you have anything to share about this new season? –Sam
Whereas the first episode of The Ones Who Live ended with a reunion that was as unexpected-in-the-moment as it was awaited, Episode 2 ends with a bit of jump scare, and Episode 3 ends with a shocking act that will make you — as well as [OMITTED WORD] — audibly gasp. (By the way, the only thing more surprising than how Episode 1 ended is what happens, there in the field, mere seconds after the characters reunite.)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

TWD: The Ones Who Live Opens to 6-Year AMC Ratings High — ‘Better Than 5 Pizzas and a Wedding Ring,’ Stars Say
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MARCH 1, 2024 
https://tvline.com/ratings/the-walking-dead-the-ones-who-live-viewership-records-1235176897/ 

The latest entry in the Walking Dead franchise delivered nearly 3 million premiere-night viewers (with Live+3 playback), marking the largest premiere-night audience for a new AMC series in six years (since The Terror’s March 2018 debut, which enjoyed an original episode of The Walking Dead as a lead-in).

The episode “Years” also stands the No. 1 cable drama premiere of the 2023-24 TV season in key demos.

On the streaming-only front, The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live‘s premiere set all-time records for both viewership and customer acquisition on AMC+, with its two-day viewership total outpacing the first week of viewership for any other season premiere on the platform.
Andrew Lincoln and Danai Gurira, who star as Rick and Michonne and also serve as executive producers on The Ones Who Live, said in a joint statement, “When we each began this extraordinary journey so many years ago, the most mind-meltingly beautiful moments have always been either with or about the fans. Playing trailers at San Diego Comic-Con, sharing the dark with 6,500 people, we both came to realize this is a story that is a connection between the passionate commitment of our remarkable crews and casts and the greatest fans in fandom.

“Telling this story from behind and in front of the cameras as a team has been a dream (sometimes a fever dream),” the duo continued, “and to see the response is even better than five pizzas and a wedding ring.” (Ed. Note: That’s a reference to an instantly iconic line from the first episode.) “We want to take this opportunity to thank those fans from the bottom of our blood-stained hearts. We all did this together. Big, Epic Love, Andrew and Danai.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

Will Taylor Swift Steal Grey’s Fans? Who Did Ghosts ‘Suck Off’? Who Will Be SNL’s Sen. Katie Britt? Did Blue Bloods Death Hit Hard? More TV Qs!
BY VLADA GELMAN, MATT WEBB MITOVICH, DAVE NEMETZ, RYAN SCHWARTZ, CHARLIE MASON, KEISHA HATCHETT, NICK CARUSO   MARCH 8, 2024
https://tvline.com/features/taylor-swift-eras-tour-movie-streaming-march-14-greys-anatomy-1235180267/

8 | Is anyone else watching The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live afraid that Rick and Jadis’ “long-standing agreement” has made them enemies with benefits? And did Episode 2’s caravan, plus the department store hideout, give anyone else Station Eleven vibes? ?

(edited)

Since I created a season pass on my TiVo for this show, it picked up an episode on Thursday called Return. I don't know if the title is correct because the guide data can be wonky, but Danai and Andrew reminisce about their roles during the series, their departures and the completion of the story. It is really a remarkable little documentary and I don't think anyone here has mentioned it.

Edited by Iguessnot
(edited)
On 3/9/2024 at 2:48 PM, tv echo said:

And did Episode 2’s caravan, plus the department store hideout, give anyone else Station Eleven vibes? ?

Oh, good call on Station Eleven, that's exactly what the caravan did remind me of now  they mention it. Things didn't  work out quite so well for them though, but that's TWD for you.

11 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

but Danai and Andrew reminisce about their roles during the series, their departures and the completion of the story.

Am i correct in thinking that this is a limited series with only the 6 episodes? So effectively each planned film from the trilogy they originally intended to make has become two episodes of the season. so the first two episodes where we find out what rick is doing in the CRM and how Michonne finds him there are essentially what the first film was going to be about.

So when we get to episode 6, that will be the final conclusion of Rick and Michonne's story. Rick losing his hand is obviously echoing events in the comic. This is going to end like the comic for rick, isn't it? only with the CRM standing in for The Commonwealth.

My Guess:

Spoiler

Rick dies in the end and as he's dying Michonne finally tells him he has a son.

Edited by BasilSeal
  • Like 2
(edited)

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, Ghosts, FBI: Most Wanted, Grey’s, TWD, Chicago P.D., Station 19 and More!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MARCH 14, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/ncis-director-vance-son-jared-recast-episode-1000/ 

This Lucifer fan has been loving Lesley-Ann Brandt on The Ones Who Live. Anything on what’s ahead for Pearl with Rick and Michonne now escaped? –Esta

Spoiler

When I asked Brandt to sum up her Walking Dead: TOWL arc, she said that Pearl’s journey “starts as a true commitment to the future, and it evolves into surviving whatever that future turns out to be. And where it ends is with deep hurt… but I think some redemption.”

Edited by tv echo