Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Happy Birthday, Clisby

• Start Topic

The Williams gather to celebrate Clisby's 75th birthday -- including Bill's brother Melvin and his daughter Cassie; while Bill and Melvin try to one-up each other for Clisby's approval, Cassie shares big news with Lillian and Kim.

It’s being advertised as a one hour finale, but it’s actually 2 separate episodes.

• Useful 1

Bruce is Dean's older brother. I guess they had to not include him in order to have the other guest stars in the episode. We can imagine that he was with his girlfriend Tammy I guess.

Cool seeing Melvin and Bill do the song to make up.

I almost forgot that the sister-cousin was in this episode. Poor girl was pregnant and thought she could avoid it just by "peeing after sex". Apparently Dean wasn't aware of it until later when the boy was passed off as her parent's new kid. I guess that was a typical solution of that time.

Edited by Cress
  • Like 3

I knew exactly what was going to happen with Cassie as soon as I saw the description and it was obvious they knew it’s sadly probably getting cancelled by including the narration at the end about the parents raising the baby while she was away at college. They even revealed the gender. Who does that? A different time for sure. 

How did Melvin, Bill and Dean get home after the keys got tossed in the river?

Edited by nelroy78
  • Like 3
30 minutes ago, nelroy78 said:

I knew exactly what was going to happen with Cassie as soon as I saw the description and it was obvious they knew it’s sadly probably getting cancelled by including the narration at the end about the parents raising the baby while she was away at college. They even revealed the gender. Who does that? A different time for sure. 

well, i hope you are wrong and it will be back for another season

• Like 4

Of course Cassie was pregnant. There's no other reason women throw up. I liked her bonding with Lillian. If the show doesn't come back we know what happened with Cassie and the baby.

I liked Bill's father making him and Melvin do their childhood song. 

7 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by revealed the gender. Dean narrated when he saw them a few years later he realized what everyone else knew in the episode. Cassie was going to college and they were raising her "little brother".

• Like 2
7 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

I had two aunts become single mothers in the early 70s. The Filipina became the aunt to her daughter until she became a US citizen and under threat of deportation DNA technology got the family reunion. On the Black side of the family in Los Angeles she became a single mother.

I was shocked that Theo Huxtable is now playing grandfather's 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Raja said:

I was shocked that Theo Huxtable is now playing grandfather's 

When he showed up as Bill's older brother, I felt 75.

Clisby is one of my faves on this show. 

Kim's delivery of "five different colleges" to her mom's "ohh child" during the pregnancy reveal was the best moment in the episode I thought. The actress Laura Kariuki who plays Kim is amazing. Her timing and facial expressions are stellar. She steals scenes on this show. I will miss her the most if the series doesn't return. If it doesn't I hope she continues to work in comedy.

Edited by OLynn33
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2

I took note that even rebellious Kim changed her hair for the college trip. It made me sad, but I also understood the reasoning and appreciated the hard-headed realism of the show making that choice. 

Bruce seemed to feel okay in his usual do, though.

• Like 3