Type keyword(s) to search

Love Island - Season 5 2023

• Start Topic

(edited)

Hello, All,

Is anyone interested in discussing Love Island USA Season 5?  This was a pretty active forum until last year, Season 4, when it was a rather "sleepy" discussion group.  Maybe everyone went to another platform like Reddit or something else?  I'd like to add my thoughts if anyone is interested in discussing here on Primetimer.

Edited by DoYouLikeMutton
  • Like 1

So quiet, right? There were a couple comments in the season 4 thread before this one opened. I would write again, but feel bad about shitting on Bergie even more. I just have to think someone in casting was experimenting with psychedelics.

• Mind Blown 1

There's going to be a line to see him after this season at the South Dakota Dairy Queen. Maybe the guys in the villa will even make him a player like Leo. I didn't like Anna at first, but she's growing on me. Nice attempt from Carmen to seem distraught about Bergies chivalrous attempt at falling on the sword. When he re-appeared the next morning she had this look like Bergie who? LOL.

My thoughts:  I've only seen eps 1-3.  Haven't watched ep 4 yet. 

I think Bergie and Victor are the nicest "boys", thus far.  It's true, Bergie is not the typical, ripped eye candy cast on this/these shows, but it refreshing to have someone that is not there to boost their online profiles and influencer status.  I like him and I hope he gets something from the show, like a confidence boost. 

I like the more natural look of the girls this season.  They are not caked with make-up, and it proves a woman can still be attractive and beautiful.   Less can certainly be more.

I know I am probably in the minority, but I don't like the thongs the girls wear.  I thinks it's a lot sexier to leave something to the imagination rather than having their entire butt cheeks exposed.  

Too bad there are so many f-bombs - and they're mostly dropped by the girls!  It's cringeworthy.  I am not a prude, and a well-placed f-bomb can be very effective-but on this show, it's part of the vernacular.  Would you speak to your grandmother like that?  It's not attractive and makes someone appear that they have a poor vocabulary.

Lastly, Marco, please.  22 years old and 72 sexual partners already??  Yikes.  That, to me, is not a plus, and something I'd keep under my hat if I were him.

Enjoy the show, everyone!  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Too bad there are so many f-bombs - and they're mostly dropped by the girls!  It's cringeworthy.  I am not a prude, and a well-placed f-bomb can be very effective-but on this show, it's part of the vernacular.  Would you speak to your grandmother like that?  It's not attractive and makes someone appear that they have a poor vocabulary.

I always wonder if the producers tell the islanders to drop a lot of F bombs.  Even Bergie has done it a few times.  It seems really forced, done to up the edginess.  "We're not on basic cable anymore, viewers".  I also think it's interesting that the new girls aren't as frequent with the F bombs (if they've said any at all).  

It's funny the girls were so angry at the boys for exploring their options, but the minute Harrison enters, all that outrage is overcome by their fascination for the new guy.

• Like 1

I was out of the country until this past weekend, so I binge-watched to get caught up.  I pulled up the show on Wikipedia because I kept getting "Kay Kay" and Kassy" confused.  Boy, this cast seems even younger than in past years:

Anna Kurdys  22  Boca Raton, Florida entered Day 1 

Carmen Kocourek  22  Milwaukee, Wisconsin entered Day 2

Carsten "Bergie" Bergersen  23  Cottage Grove, Minnesota entered Day 1

Destiny Davis  27  Florissant, Missouri entered Day 1 

Hannah Wright  24  Palm Springs, California entered Day 2

Harrison Luna  26  Adelaide, South Australia entered Day 4 

Kassy Castillo  22  Zachary, Louisiana entered Day 1 

Keenan Anunay  23  Washington, D.C. entered Day 1

Leonardo Dionicio  21  West Hartford, Connecticut entered Day 1 

Marco Donatelli  22  Girard, Ohio entered Day 1

Vickala "Kay Kay" Gray  25  Palestine, Texas entered Day 1

Victor Gonzalez  28  Atlanta, Georgia entered Day 1

Jasmine Sklavanitis  24  Mount Morris, Illinois entered Day 1; dumped Day 5

I agree with others re: the red flags with respect to the "body counts" of some of the Islanders. 

I didn't vote, but that was a tough one.  Marco and Hannah and Leonardo and Anna are immune; otherwise I probably would have been leaning towards Leonardo and Anna going, because they're probably the couple I would miss the least if they were gone.  I kind of want Bergie and Carmen to stay, just to see what happens if they end up coupling. 

• Like 3
(edited)

I'm not fond of the immunity thing. It fundamentally changes the dynamics of the game. It also diminishes and randomizes the effect of the voting public. The most important aspect of any show is the public that watches it and the ad dollars it accrues.  I hope they will include all couples in future voting. Don't bite the hand that feeds.

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Like 1
(edited)

Perhaps I'm not following the drama -- entirely possible....  I generally multitask when watching.

But, what exactly was the great sin that Bergie committed against Victor?  I get that Victor is embarassed that Carmen is, essentially, choosing Bergie over him (which has to be a huge blow to Victor's ego), but Bergie going to confirm with/confront Carmen about what Victor said seemed like a logical thing to do.

So, if I'm following, Victor told Bergie what Carmen (allegedly) said about only being interested in a friendship with Bergie, and Bergie is (1) supposed to 100% believe Victor (who is not exactly an uninterested, neutral party in all this), and (2) never breathe a word of this to Carmen because "guy code" (or whatever)...?  Oh, and (3) Bergie is supposed to feel 100% indebted to Victor and the rest of the guys for their initial coaching on how to interact with the gals?  (For my money, Hannah's been giving Bergie the best advice.)

In any event, while I appreciate the dramatic! need for a cliffhanger ending, I'll be floored if the result is anything other than Carmen staying.  

ETA:  Although it would be interesting to see what Bergie would do if Carmen is dumped by the rest of the islanders.  I could see him possibly leaving also, since he was willing to do so on Day 1 and therefore seems like he might have come on the show less for the "exposure" than the others.

Edited by MMLEsq
additional thoughts :-)
  • Like 5
(edited)

I agree wholeheartedly with the others here who have posted their observations.  With ALL of the islanders flapping their jaws about everything they see and hear,  I don't understand why such a brouhaha between Bergie and Victor erupted.  

I also agree that saving not just one but two couples from the public vote totally skewed the whole competition.  Chances are Anna and Leo could have been the bottom couple, and frankly, so could have Marco and Hanna.

And when did "body count" become the metaphor for how many sexual partners one has had?  Boy, I'm old.

Edited by DoYouLikeMutton
typo
  • Like 3

Well too bad detective Anna self eliminated. I did like the energy she brought to the villa. Wished she made a friendship couple with Bergie Thought he was done, but he lives to love another day. Did feel sorry for him watching Carmen roll around with Harris. He really fell for her and she played him. At least he'll get to go to Casa Amor for some more "training" 🤩

• LOL 2

The editing sure is done to mislead.  They made it appear that Emily was least interested in Harrison, yet she picks him.  They show Hannah crying in the preview, so one would assume Emily picked Marco.  But no, she was crying because Anna self-eliminated. 

• Like 1
(edited)

I couldn't quite figure out why Anna was so upset with Kassy? Didn't Anna steal Leo from Kassy originally?

Harrison was so not into Destiny. And it doesn't seem like Jonah & Destiny have much of a connection either.

Marco & Hannah are cute together.

Kenzo looks like if Brody Jenner & Matt Leinhart had a baby. LOL!

Emily is so pretty without makeup.

Also, is there any rule to new islanders hooking up? Like I would love to see Kenzo & Emily together.

Edited by AEJ79
I had more thoughts.
  • Like 2

As the show progresses I lke Destiny less and less. I want to see Bergie enjoy Casa Amor, but fear the she sharks there will use him to just get to the villa.

I fear they will be, (new phrase coming)..."Pullng a Carmen"

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Show is kind of strange this season. Odd voting. Weird thing to bring Marcos ex into the villa. Serves little purpose but to torpedo the entire vibe of the game for him. That said, I'm not crazy about him anyway...only surpassed by Keenan. F-bomb is the only word he seems to know. Hope Bergie finds a girl to take back to the villa. Ally wasn't interested and at least she told him. He lives to kiss another day.

Hey....(knock knock)....anybody out there? 😝

• Like 1

Tonight’s episode was a bit crazy. I doubt Kay Kay is actually done with Keenan. She will keep going back. Hoping she brings somebody else back with her (Brandon?). 

I wasn’t feeling Rob but I kind of want Carmen to take him back for the hijinks. 

Leo and Keenan are both on my poop list. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, yourdreamer said:

Leo and Keenan are both on my poop list. 

I feel the same about production. It was very mean to fabricate a creative edit just to upset Kay Kay and have her bring somebody back to the villa for drama. Guess that's the name of the game these days. Kassy is well on her way to discover who bedded Johnnie. And new detective Hannah was sharp to notice the hair color of New Hannah vs. Johnnie. 

• Like 2

That may have been the best Casa Amor recoupling yet! I'm loving Marco & Hannah and Carmen & Kenzo are really cute together. I was dying at the Marco & Kenzo boy band!

There are so many couples now! Have there ever been this many new couples after Casa Amor? I have to think they'll get rid of a few couples in the next week or so. And I'm assuming that Leo & Johnnie will be the first to go based on their likeability. 

I so wish Rob & Brandon and even Eddie could have come back to the villa. They were the best group of Casa Amor guys ever!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I am still side-eyeing Carmen/Kenzo and Hannah/Marco after hearing some rumors/thoughts about their relationships.  I am getting more invested in Imani/Kyle.  I have zero faith in Kay Kay.  I feel like she needs to do a Liberty and just completely leave, because she is not giving other people a fair shake and believing all of the nonsense Keenan is spouting.  Hopefully, they will have movie night or tweets to let the islanders know what really went on the entire time.

• Like 2
On 8/15/2023 at 2:31 PM, yourdreamer said:

I am still side-eyeing Carmen/Kenzo and Hannah/Marco after hearing some rumors/thoughts about their relationships.  I am getting more invested in Imani/Kyle.  I have zero faith in Kay Kay.  I feel like she needs to do a Liberty and just completely leave, because she is not giving other people a fair shake and believing all of the nonsense Keenan is spouting.  Hopefully, they will have movie night or tweets to let the islanders know what really went on the entire time.

Ohhh, what rumors?!

• Like 3
7 hours ago, AEJ79 said:

Ohhh, what rumors?!

They both go the same gym and allegedly have the same trainer and some mutual follows (personal relationships not influencer followers if that makes sense). They may know each other on the outside and it’s not love at first sight as they have portrayed. Not sure if true or not. 

• Useful 2

When Kay Kay mentioned to Keenan how she's excited for her mom to meet Keenan, I figure (if they both make it to family night) one of two things will happen - either KK's mom will love Keenan and we see where KK gets it from (apologist/bad history with men, etc) or we will see KK's mom go into scorched earth mode with both of them for KK being so gullible and needy and Keenan for being such an effective gaslighter.

It would almost be worth suffering through more of them to see that, and I still want others off my screen earlier (sadly, Carmen/Kenzo and Hannah/Marco are all safe). 

If Johnnie remains after this dumping, she needs to go be buds with Kyle or Matia.

Imani with the cold shoulder to Kyle - I have no idea what happened with them, and then her running to Bergie (friendship couple or savvy game play).  At least Bergie didn't fall for it (yet, unless Taylor whichever initial leaves).

My ideal 4some to go (well, 3some, since Hannah O has already been named off).  Zay also leaves (questionable personal and political views at best, downright scary views at worst, racist/homophobic/misogynistic tendencies possible).  Then I actually would be fine with Mike going. (Hannah O's gone, Destiny doesn't go backwards with her affections). I would leave Keenan and Leo just to continue to stir up stuff and make things interesting/dramatic.  For the remaining girl, I would have trouble picking. I am curious how Johnnie could move going forward, but I know Bergie will not let the other Taylor leave.  I can't see Jonah letting his Taylor go either. (Which means that Johnnie will leave, unfortunately.)

Imani wasted no time seeking out Bergie. Looked a little obvious to me. They had a very nice first date but other than respectfully pleasant banter, it seemed Imani wasn't really interested in hooking a hitch to his wagon that early in the experience. She played the field and unfortunately picked a dud. Now she sees the error of her ways. I don't buy it. We'll see.

But, what I really wanted to post about is a question. I felt the vibe was off from the get-go with Bergies gal Taylor. Did anyone else think it was weird that when he immediately informed her of Imani's "pancake advance" that she was almost too okay with it? All that about "don't decide now" and "let is stew awhile" was almost too considerate.  She didn't act like any girlfriend I've ever had. Am I off base here or did anyone feel as I did? Does she see an opportunity to switch couples?  America didn't give her a lot of votes, but they love Bergie.

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Like 3

I think she just used Bergie to get into the villa and now she sees she’s stuck unless he goes after somebody else. She saw a way out. She didn’t want to be Carmen though, which is why it is a lot more passive than she could have been. Then Taylor can be the “wronged” party. 

• Like 3

And Kenzo didn't even have his heart rate raised the most by Carmen (instead by Hannah), so his holier than thou jealousy was unwarranted at best and insanely manipulative and controlling at worst.  I am concerned for when she goes back to her pre-show job (bottle service person) that things will become very bad, very quick.

I still do not believe in Marco and Hannah AT ALL. Marco was a true love 'em and leave 'em guy up until the day before his entry in LI, so I don't think he magically changed his spots upon meeting Hannah.  I never saw chemistry between them. (Also, I do not believe in the slightest Marco is 22.) Multiple islanders have mentioned that Marco and Hannah spent a lot of time strategizing on how to win.  And the editors helped them out by the dead mother speech and Bergie's treatment of Taylor right before finale voting.

• Like 1

Is there anyone keen on delving into discussions about Love Island USA Season 5? The forum was quite lively until the previous season, Season 4, when it transformed into a more subdued discussion group. Could it be that participants shifted to alternative platforms like Reddit? I'm eager to share my thoughts if there's interest in discussing here on Primetimer.

Anticipate a queue forming to catch a glimpse of him after this season at the South Dakota Dairy Queen. Perhaps the villa's guys will even turn him into a player like Leo. Initially not a fan of Anna, I find that she's starting to grow on me. Carmen's attempt to appear distressed about Bergie's chivalrous act of falling on the sword was noteworthy. When he reappeared the next morning, she seemed to have this look as if to say, "Bergie who?" LOL.