Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Final Descent

• Start Topic

MANIFEST_411_Unit_00354.jpg
As the passengers adjust to a frustrating new reality, Ben and Michaela seize an opportunity to solve a Calling, with the Registry in hot pursuit.

Premiere Date: June 2, 2023     Netflix   
Manifest_S4_E11_00_31_36_06.jpg

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

✔️Watched this episode.

Do I really want to see 9 more hours of this?😐

That is where I am at... After they killed Zeke, I wasn't even sure I'd watch this episode. 

So, 8 months have gone by since the last episode, and all the 828ers except for 13 have been rounded up and put in a detention center where they are kind of being experimented on to figure out the callings.  And there is a $50,000 dead or alive reward for those missing 13 828ers.

Angelina killed over 700 people with the fissure incident.  Thankfully no Angelina in this episode.

We get a new term from Zeke -- the Glow -- that will go well with the Lifeboat, and the death date.  And Zeke is appearing to Michaela from this 'glow' called the Divine Consciousness.

The pilot has returned and is being secretly held in the 828 detention center -- when did he come back ?  Where did the plane go ?

I'm not convinced that hole in the ground that Ben/Michaela discovered was a plane crash.  Looks like someone dug a place shaped hole.

Cal/Gabriel's arm has been glowing again.  

We still don't know for sure what the explosion at the start of the episode was about ?  Was it the plane crash-shaped hole that Ben/Michaela found ? Or why that guy was shot in the head ?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm not convinced that hole in the ground that Ben/Michaela discovered was a plane crash.  Looks like someone dug a [plane] shaped hole.

Well, the show's crew *did* dig a plane-shaped hole.😉

• LOL 3
On 6/3/2023 at 9:25 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

We still don't know for sure what the explosion at the start of the episode was about ?  Was it the plane crash-shaped hole that Ben/Michaela found ? Or why that guy was shot in the head ?

I think the explosion was the plane crashing, and the guy was shot to eliminate any witnesses. (He seemed to be just some random guy living out there, not a passenger.) I assume that the heavily armed guys in black captured the pilot (and I guess the woman he took with him), but I don't know how they made the plane disappear.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

So eight months = Eden aging about two years?

Was Zeke supporting the whole fam?  Olive and Cal are struggling for money but it’s not like Ben and Mick were working before they were detained.  

I can wave away most of the mystical, ridiculous stuff but some of the basic points bug me, lol.

• Like 4

Reading an interview in the New Yorker with Jeopardy! host Ken Jennings about his newest book on Heaven and Hell made me wonder if the inspiration for Manifest was the concept of Purgatory:

What do you think of Purgatory and the in-between states, the bardo and so on?

I like the idea that the earthly mistakes we make in a seventy-year span or whatever do not condemn us to infinite suffering. If we made finite mistakes here in a finite time, then there should be some finite period of expiation that lets us work through them. It seems very unjust to deliver an infinite verdict. But often they’re just Hell with an ending, you know? Purgatory is just, you take your beating until you come around.
(newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/ken-jennings-has-some-questions-about-death)

(edited)

I just wasn't that motivated to watch, but felt I should while everyone else is still here.  

"Please just tell me how this ends?  I can't fall further into the abyss."   Was that supposed to have double meaning?  Because that pretty much describes how I feel about this show.  I have no faith that the ending will be anywhere near satisfying, and this mid-season "premiere" certainly didn't inspire any confidence.

8 months of being in the detention center where they could do nothing, but they haaaaaaaaaave to go back because that is where their captain-ship is most effective.  Huh?

Granted, they can't do much if they are on the run from the jerk authorities nor the psycho bounty hunters anyway.  Maybe Ben could have mentioned that to Olive and Cal so they wouldn't stare at him in shame for "leaving" them.   Did they want him to die too?

It was nice seeing Bethany again, and I like her significant other.  I'm glad nothing happened to either of them.  Ditto for Zeke's mom.  Especially with Ben and Michaela walking around with no disguise whatsoever.

I simply cannot believe that the government still trusts Vance, Saanvi, Jared or Michaela's friend cop to work for them.  Saanvi was clearly covering for Michaela, and who else could have untagged Ben and Michaela but Vance?  

Eden already thinks of Ben as her dad?  She's not asking for psycho step-kidnapper?

The dialogue in this episode just wasn't good.  It was nice to see Zeke but his lines were platitude after platitude.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2