Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Racing for Pinks

• Start Topic

(Season Finale)
FxD-IJGWYAEtWx-?format=jpg&name=900x900
Jane makes a dangerous proposition that will decide the fate of someone's future at Rydell while Olivia takes a big step toward her own future. Meanwhile, a surprise confession leads a sleep-deprived Hazel to seek advice from Jane, Cynthia gets unusually mad at Nancy, Susan steps up in a big way, and Miss McGee is pushed to her limits while putting together the school carnival. In the end, Rydell loses a student, but gains a new one.

Original Airdate: June 1, 2023 on Paramount+

Grease_Rise_of_the_pink_Ladies_110_color

I LOVE NANCY SO MUCH!

and the ending! I said I wanted Hazel in a pink ladies jacket by the end of the season and I got my wish. 

I’ve been trying not to get attached, but if this is cancelled, I will be devastated. I already lost The Company You Keep, TV Gods!

highlights of the ep: Jane and Gil laughing at their sisters; anything little Betty and Frenchy do; the girls stealing a car (I WOULD HAVE DRIVEN YOU!); Nancy keeping a spare jacket on her at all times!?!?!; and of course, NANCY SLAPPING DANIELS. 

I loved that the first song was the ROTPL equivalent of “She’s everything. He’s Ken.”

I also really loved the scene between Nancy and Cynthia. Those two are so close, and they way they did it, without talking, writing it down instead. It really hit. It was a gorgeous moment. 

• Like 4
(edited)

I love that the first song had the same backbeat as "Be My Baby." Cynthia's song sounded like it could have been sung by Sinatra, Tony Bennet, or Bobby Darin. It worked because they had what I thought was a throwaway line about how she likes Singin' In the Rain, but in fact in set up her enjoyment of musicals and a different non-rock sound. The third song "Think Pink" sounded a bit like "We Go Together." Also, it worked and distilled the entire story/premise of the series. Unlike the movie, this isn't a love story with supporting characters. This series is focused on all of the Pink Ladies and is an ensemble cast, and yes boys/romance are part of the story, but they are not the entire story. 

McGee in the parking lot with the car was very Colonel Clink in Hogan's Heroes. I enjoyed it. 

I did not see Hazel becoming a Pink Lady, but once it happened it did make sense. 

I liked that both Gil and Jane saw thier younger sisters as kids who were far too young to be involved in teenage stuff. 

We finally found out more about Cynthia's home life, but I still want to know more. Her mother is still alive but she's living with her father which was highly unusual for the 1950s. I want to know more about what happened. 

I may be overthinking this or just way too obsessed with James Dean and Rebel Without a Cause but did anyone else think the red jacket and the black jacket during the drag race was a reference to the race in Rebel Without a Cause? They didn't have to put the girls in jackets, but they did. 

I am thrilled Olivia came to her sense and didn't marry her teacher. I did like that they pointed out an unfortunate reality of the era for young women; if the family couldn't afford college, they would be pressured to marry shortly after high school.  

I'm hoping there's a second season. I'm pretty sure Frankie Zuko is Danny's older brother. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 2

Maybe in the minority but I did not like the Zuko twist at the end. Like I love Betty and Frenchy’s connections to the gangs, but I don’t know about the Zuko one. 

Im just hoping for a second season because I need Richie and Jane back.

• Like 1

All the talk about Richie, but we didn't see anybody try to call him or tell his parents he was allowed to come back. :(

I did enjoy Nancy slapping the teacher finally and saying "she's a child!" Where was that attitude this whole season? Why didn't he get fired?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

Maybe in the minority but I did not like the Zuko twist at the end. Like I love Betty and Frenchy’s connections to the gangs, but I don’t know about the Zuko one. 

Im just hoping for a second season because I need Richie and Jane back.

I agree. Beyond the Rydell setting and the existance of the Pink Ladies and the T Birds, the series doesn't need strong connections to Grease legacy characters to work and succeed. I want to see Richie and Jane together, but I know there will always be some sources of conflict between them. The enjoyable part will be watching how they deal with it. 

3 hours ago, Cress said:

All the talk about Richie, but we didn't see anybody try to call him or tell his parents he was allowed to come back. :(

It's the 1950s and they're outside at a carnival, so unless there's a payphone nearby, nobody has a way to call. Also, I don't think that's a scene we need to see. We know Richie is coming back to Rydell, and that's enough/what's most important. If there's a payphone at the Frosty Palace, I'm sure Olivia used it to call home, or maybe she tells her parents when she gets back after the Frosty Palace. 

3 hours ago, Cress said:

I did enjoy Nancy slapping the teacher finally and saying "she's a child!" Where was that attitude this whole season? 

My guess is that Nancy and Pink Ladies saw it as a crush or a relationship that would blow-over. When it became marriage, something permanent, that's when the Pink Ladies realized how serious this was and that they needed to put a stop to it. Olivia and Mr. Daniels did have to sneak around, so clearly he knew it was wrong. The problem was that no other responsible adult knew, or if they did know, were willing to look the other, which is horrible. 

I really enjoyed this series and hope it gets renewed! Ari Notartomaso emerged as the breakout talent for me - their singing voice is so pure, and they broke my heart more than once conveying Cynthia’s emotions … both when alone and showing vulnerability, and when putting on the “tough girl” act to cover it up. 

Tricia Fukuhara was also a hoot as Nancy, and the actress playing Frenchie NAILED the voice. I do wish Susan had faced some direct consequences for slamming the car on Gil’s hand, just when she makes some progress and I start to feel for her, she turns awful again. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I somehow didn't even notice this while watching lol:

Richie just disappearing makes more sense now. I wonder if he would be back if they do season 2? I guess it depends on why exactly he up and left.

I wouldn’t believe much what is on Twitter regarding Jonathan leaving the show. It was filmed over a year ago and he still promoting the show.

• Like 2

Just finished watching it and I loved it. I thought the music overall was great and reflected the more modernised telling of the story while still lots of nods to the time period with the music when listening to the radio or playing the juke box for example. Loved, loved, loved Cynthia's last song. Also loved all the nods to the movies.

My fave character is Cynthia, the actress playing her is great I think. I thought the actress that played Dot was fantastic as well.

Overall I thought it was terrific and hope they do a second season.

• Like 2