Type keyword(s) to search

Guest Judges: Designers, Bloggers, Actors, etc

• Start Topic

I thought Elie Tahari was wonderful when he was on.  And the queen of everything, Diane von Furstenberg, was also very good.  I can't remember the last time they had an actual fashion designer as a judge on the show, instead of Hollywood "I wouldn't wear that" starlets.

• Love 1

Was Joan Rivers ever a guest judge? I would have loved to have seen that if so. I realize she'd crack wise for far too long but I still would find that entertaining.

Yes. She and Melissa were on season 11, episode 6, the one where they made clothes for the women at the senior center.

• Love 1

Elie Tahari and Diane von Furstenberg were both absolutely wonderful. I'll never forget how DVF made Michael Costello so happy with her positive critique of his dress.

Generally I prefer people who are active in the fashion industry itself to be guest judges. Bloggers are very iffy for me, and celebrities can be awful or terrific. I actually thought Zendaya - all of sixteen at the time - was  terrific. It was a 'design for the guest judge' challenge and she knew exactly what worked for her and why, and was able to critique without stretching for zingers or being mean.

Bette Midler, of course, was sublime.

I'm all for designers and people who are actually influential/important in the fashion industry.

But Anna Sui is judging a team challenge in Season 10 (watching right now) and I'm so annoyed.  She's trying to make every team's result into a metaphor for their teamwork or lack of and this is one of my most hated cliches on this show.

Judges always say "Your team didn't get along, .... and it shows in the clothes!"

Guess what?  I've been rewatching Seasons 4, 10 and currently watching 13 and this is true:  the teams that get along beautifully often have results that the judges hate and the teams that have a horrible time often have results that the judges love!  So I hate, hate, hate that judging cliche that "You didn't get along... and it shows in the clothes!"  It's just an arrogant lecture based on no knowledge or evidence.  It drives me crazy.

Anna Sui interrupted every meaningful critique about each team's outfits to say insightful things like "And she was angry... and that was an angry coat!"  Give me a break.

This show is obsessed with pushing whatever narratives it wants, and one truth that the show does not want to reveal is that sometimes when teams have a horrible time together, the judges have no idea and love the result.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

(Quote taken from Past Contestants thread)

If they are going to insist on getting actresses to guest judge on PR, I don't know why they haven't had Chloe Sevigny on. Whether you love or hate her style, it's very distinctive and she's knowledgeable about fashion.

Hey.  I like your way of thinking.

But now that I think about it.  I was going to suggest another huge list of actors/celebrities who are ALSO incredibly stylish.  Every single name on my personal list, all I could think was, I'm sure PR has asked her to come on the show, but she refused. 

Milla Jovovich was a fantastic guest judge and an extremely stylish actor (and obviously, veteran model).  Zoe Saldana is stylish and she came on, but I found her....  I don't know.  Really arrogant and harsh, almost mean towards the designers. 

Dream guest judges:  MKA, Gwyneth, Aniston, Kate Moss

Dream guest judges who aren't models or actors:  Any well known designer ever (I freakin' love Zac Posen as a man and a judge).  Miroslava Duma.  Olivia Palermo.  Geraldine Saglio, etc.
Second tier:  Reese, Emma Watson
Who Might actually come on (if they haven't already?):  Alba?  Kirsten Dunst.   Selma Blair.  Did Miranda Kerr already come on?  It seems like she would have.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Even though it was for the abomination called "Under the Gunn", Neil Patrick Harris was an awesome judge of the finale collections.  He was very knowledgeable and injected some hilarious comments into his very-perceptive commentary. 

Even though it was for the abomination called "Under the Gunn", Neil Patrick Harris was an awesome judge of the finale collections.  He was very knowledgeable and injected some hilarious comments into his very-perceptive commentary. 

And thank god for him and Heidi, because I seriously worried they were going to give it to Asha as a personal development prize if he hadn't spiked it with "carnie couture."

He was great on Top Chef too. I enjoyed watching him disagree with his husband the chef.

• Love 1

This season had some pretty weak celebrity guests, but Shay Mitchell managed to escape unscathed in the Episode thread, and I found Emmy Rossum pretty convincing as a judge.

But my favorite will forever be Jessica Simpson, both for her intelligent understanding of fashion and her unwavering support of Mondo against Nina and Michael.

I sometimes watch the little "rewinds" they run before the show, and they remind me that once upon a time, this show had high-quality guest judges. I mean, Philip Treacy judged the episode that featured his amazing hats! And now what do we get? A girl from Dance Moms? As the quality of the accessory wall has gone down, so have the guest judges.

• Love 6