Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E22: Welcome to the Opening Night

• Start Topic

Calvin pushes Marty to move up the opening of their new business to get a valuable celebrity endorsement from D.L. Hughley, while Dave continues to struggle with the return of his father, Lamar, and Tina and Gemma prepare for the opening of their new school play.

Airdate: 05/22/2023

Season finale!

Fun episode and the ending was very sweet with the kids singing Calvin and Tina’s favorite song and then the audience singing and dancing along

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Tina's motivational speech to the kids was really funny😂. And I liked that it was in line with Tina's past characterization from previous seasons: her singing group fell apart because she took the performances too seriously and was critical of the others. That was on display here.

Edited by Harvey
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Marty should have reverse engineered all the the different electric car battery schematics before even starting the business. What is the point of creating a business without first having the crucial components in place.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Marty should have reverse engineered all the the different electric car battery schematics before even starting the business. What is the point of creating a business without first having the crucial components in place.

I think those are the things he was trying to do but wasn't fully ready to open yet when Calvin pushed him to open. 

• Like 5

Sometimes this show gets too *wink*wink* clever for its own good.  Cedric The Entertainer as Calvin pestering D.L. Hughley about the Kings of Comedy was just too annoyingly meta for words.  D.L. even got a bit of an irritated gleam in his eye during that scene that seemed more real than what was called for. 

Tina pounding the big stick while she stalked around the wary looking student cast was a hilarious Lydia Grant from Fame moment ("You've got big dreams, you want fame. Well fame costs, and right here is where you start paying; in sweat.")

I liked the brief bit of tension early in the episode when Tina and Gemma were unpacking the costumes for the musical and Gemma does this little role play with finger guns as a "Mod Squad" type groovy undercover '70s detective arresting Tina.  The look on Tina's face was "this ain't funny" and Gemma catches a clue.  Nicely done, show, nicely done.  Subtle, I like that.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Tina pounding the big stick while she stalked around the wary looking student cast was a hilarious Lydia Grant from Fame moment ("You've got big dreams, you want fame. Well fame costs, and right here is where you start paying; in sweat.")

I laughed out loud at this scene -- loved it and a great Debbie Allen/Lydia Grant homage. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, joanne3482 said:
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I think those are the things he was trying to do but wasn't fully ready to open yet when Calvin pushed him to open. 

Exactly, it was something that should have been done before Marty talked to his father about starting the company. The entire premise of the company was riding on whether Marty could do it or not, it would be the wrong time to find out it can't be done, after you opened the company and hired all the employees.

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Izzy85 said:

I adore Malcolm and Marty!!!🥰🥰

"Yeah Carol!" 😂😂

I fell out. And then him dapping Gemma up afterward! Also I love how supportive the brothers are. When Marty started the car, Malcolm was so happy.

• Like 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I fell out. And then him dapping Gemma up afterward! Also I love how supportive the brothers are. When Marty started the car, Malcolm was so happy.

The more I think about it, I really love Malcolm and Gemma's friendship. He always has her back, I remember the online shopping episode. 

Like does he even know this Carol person? 🤣

Edited by Izzy85
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, Izzy85 said:

The more I think about it, I really love Malcolm and Gemma's friendship. He always has her back, I remember the online shopping episode. 

Like does he even know this Carol person? 🤣

And Gemma was the one to put him in touch with his now-boss, and she also set him up with someone he dated. They’re cute!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Exactly, it was something that should have been done before Marty talked to his father about starting the company. The entire premise of the company was riding on whether Marty could do it or not, it would be the wrong time to find out it can't be done, after you opened the company and hired all the employees.

I do cut Marty some slack here. You can think you've got everything prepared right -- in theory and in practicing and in testing, and still get punched in the face the first time reality shows up.  Engineering is all about anticipating problems, but Marty's not the first one that's happened to!

• Like 2