Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Bringing the drama in NC

• Start Topic

A&E Network to premiere new season of "60 Days In" on June 15 at 9pm ET/PT featuring everyday citizens who volunteer to go behind bars at the Pitt County Detention Center. Led by Sheriff Paula S. Dance, the state's first female African American Sheriff, the program strives to help unearth problems within the facility and bring about positive change. Following at 10pm ET/PT is the premiere of the new series, "Booked: First Day In," which takes viewers through America's booking process from the point of view of the arrestee.

"60 Days In" follows seven brave participants as they go undercover in North Carolina's Pitt County Detention Center on a mission to evoke change. After an inmate recently overdosed from drugs and much of her command staff retiring, Sheriff Dance is looking to make sure the new team and protocols they have in place are providing the proper groundwork to keep the jail a safe place for both inmates and staff. Once embedded in the facility, the participants quickly realize that the conditions are too much to bear, forcing Sheriff Dance to take drastic measures to save the program.

• Useful 1

Haven't finished watching the "Before the 60 Days" prequel yet, but I am very curious about the Sheriff's speech... impediment? There is something unusual about her speech that sounds off to me, and I can't place it. It's definitely not accent. Anyone else still around for 60 Days of Shitshow?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 6/12/2023 at 5:45 AM, TeapotWakeen said:

Haven't finished watching the "Before the 60 Days" prequel yet, but I am very curious about the Sheriff's speech... impediment? There is something unusual about her speech that sounds off to me, and I can't place it. It's definitely not accent. Anyone else still around for 60 Days of Shitshow?

I'm still here! But I sure hope we don't lose one inmate every episode for the first few weeks like last season.

• Like 4

I knew Jacob was gonna be the first to tap out the moment he appeared on screen. No one else in the pod was even  giving him a second thought, he was just scared. “Oh no, there are too many Black people here! Everyone is gonna suspect I don’t belong here!” They need to weed out people like this. 

• Like 3

They all complain about quarantine, just like last season, yet they were informed about it being 5 days 23 hours a day, so..... They ignored what they were told? I'm confused.

• Like 1

DON'T CAST FANS!!!!! Good God! If he watches the show, he knows they're all suspicious of unfamiliar people!!! He just wanted to get behind bars to say he did it, he didn't intend on staying. Now he's refusing to return to his cell?!! WTF?!! He should have to pay a fine for that BS!!! 2 out of 3 gave the signal by the 2nd day??? Sheesh!

• Like 2

I think they need to change the title to "60 Minutes In". The earlier seasons were great. Like that teacher who ended up in solitary, and had a blast ordering food and making himself sick. (LOL) Now I want to fast-forward through it.

• LOL 2
(edited)

That participant who kept going on and on about his blood pressure being thru the roof had me in hysterics.  The toilet flushing repeatedly was driving him mad and he couldn't wait to get out of isolation.  LOL...the minute he got into general population, he started in about his anxiety, high blood pressure, etc.  Just say "let me outta here, I made a huge mistake".  Don't get me wrong, I would never, ever want to be in any place like that, not even as a volunteer. I really can't blame him. LOL 

Edited by lasandi
  • Like 3

I think these sheriff's just want to be on camera as badasses. It doesn't matter what the feedback the participants give, the answer is always, 'well, it's jail'.  They never acknowledge that things might actually be fucked up and need real change. It's just, 'it's no the Holiday Inn'. Nobody is saying it should be. I think you could show them maggots in the food and six inches of dirty toilet water on all the floors and all you'd get back is 'well, it's jail'. 

And the inmates for the most part haven't even been convicted of anything yet. Still they are housed in dangerous subhuman conditions by COs whose idea of their jobs is to see who can care the least about their actual damn job. These sheriffs can go fuck themselves right off. I haven't seen one yet on this series that gives an actual damn. I think it's because they came up through the system as COs and think that this is the way it should be done. They have no conception of anything other than the inmates are subhuman and should be treated as such. This is their expectation of the way jails should operate. It's tragic.

• Like 3
On 7/17/2023 at 7:05 AM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I think these sheriff's just want to be on camera as badasses. It doesn't matter what the feedback the participants give, the answer is always, 'well, it's jail'.  They never acknowledge that things might actually be fucked up and need real change. It's just, 'it's no the Holiday Inn'. Nobody is saying it should be. I think you could show them maggots in the food and six inches of dirty toilet water on all the floors and all you'd get back is 'well, it's jail'. 

And the inmates for the most part haven't even been convicted of anything yet. Still they are housed in dangerous subhuman conditions by COs whose idea of their jobs is to see who can care the least about their actual damn job. These sheriffs can go fuck themselves right off. I haven't seen one yet on this series that gives an actual damn. I think it's because they came up through the system as COs and think that this is the way it should be done. They have no conception of anything other than the inmates are subhuman and should be treated as such. This is their expectation of the way jails should operate. It's tragic.

I agree with Andyourlittledog2's sentiments about the sheriffs in the show. It seems like they care more about being on camera as "badasses" than addressing the real issues. The conditions and treatment are appalling. Change is needed, and it's disheartening to see the lack of empathy.

• Like 4

This sheriff is way less empathetic than any of the previous sherris, at least they were listening and made minor adjustments to change things. This one has the same answer to everything she's being told by the people wanting put after 10 minutes and telling her how bad it is & any issues are answered with "it's jail, not a holiday camp". She is the worst sheriff this show has seen.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
On 7/23/2023 at 9:20 AM, Shrek said:

telling her how bad it is & any issues are answered with "it's jail, not a holiday camp

And some of those people are awaiting trial, some will be found not guilty, some will have charges dropped, some will be proven to be falsely accused -- but if they're in jail they deserve to be treated like shit. This -- and prisons-for- profit -- is some FUCKED UP SHIT, Y'ALL!!  ( not even mentioning the ones who need other kinds of treatment, not punishment)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 6/14/2023 at 11:33 AM, Catgyrl said:

I'm still here! But I sure hope we don't lose one inmate every episode for the first few weeks like last season.

I'm finally watching the show on demand, and the men are dropping like flies. I have to admit I don't think I would last in that jail at all. At least not the men's section, the women section I think I could handle a bit easier.

• Like 2
On 7/15/2023 at 4:07 PM, lasandi said:

That participant who kept going on and on about his blood pressure being thru the roof had me in hysterics.  The toilet flushing repeatedly was driving him mad and he couldn't wait to get out of isolation. 

I wonder if he was perseverating on his blood pressure anxiety and noises etc because he knew he could get out. If you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, it almost makes you want to sprint towards it. Whereas the real prisoners don't have that option and they probably have high blood pressure as well.

I find that some of the complaints are so legitimate it baffles me why they're not addressed. To me the building should be kept in proper repair, always. Proper maintenance is a lot cheaper than full-on repairs. But other complaints like whether they have a personal Bible or a Quran? I'm not sure if that's a priority in jail, especially if the prisoners are offered weekly religious sermons. Or do they even have church? If not then by all means they should have at least something to read that addresses their own personal religion. I keep hearing about the chaplain, does he give sermons? Does he give religious counseling? Or are they just stuck doing nothing for years?

I believe that simple counseling small groups can't be that expensive and it would be so good for the prisoners. A lot of them clearly have mental health issues, and it's a lot cheaper to do small group talk therapy than it is to let these people drive themselves to the extreme where they become violent or self-destructive.

I noticed that with the volunteers, there's always someone complaining about their food. This is the one area that I don't understand. To me it's too expensive to start trying to change the menus to adhere to each person's specific diet. I think that they just need to offer balanced meals and the prisoners can pick off the plate what they deem edible. I admit (embarrassingly), that every time I heard someone saying I don't eat pork, I'm a vegetarian, etc that in my head I'm thinking "you're in jail, you're not at camp". I guess if you're lactose intolerant, or have celiac, you just shouldn't do crimes. (Lol, that is a joke people)