Type keyword(s) to search

Smartless: On The Road - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Hop on the road with Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, and Sean Hayes as they take us on an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the sold-out live tour of their wildly successful podcast, "SmartLess." Traveling from city to city all over the country, the trio is joined by guests such as Conan O'Brien, Will Ferrell, Matt Damon, Jimmy Kimmel, Kevin Hart, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and David Letterman. Premieres May 23, 2023.

• Like 1

Omg, I was Team Bateman for the conversation in episode 1 re: showering.

Loving the show so far. I'm the same age as these guys and relate to so much of what they talk about (I also listen to the podcast).

• Like 1
(edited)

I loooooove this. I love their off-stage hijinks, but really enjoy their more serious conversations. 
ETA: Mark Cuban seems sooooo creepy & Dave Letterman is a class act.

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Like 2
On 5/24/2023 at 11:48 PM, juliet73 said:

So far, I’ve leaned Jason is very high maintenance!  😂

I loved seeing this side of him so much, because I've seen a little of this in person.  I'm around the same age as Jason, and when we were about 21, he was shooting a movie in my college town, and I not only went to the college they were using for the film, I also worked the breakfast shift at the nearby hotel where they were all staying.  He came in one morning and asked me if I could ask the kitchen a question for him.  He wanted to order, I think, Cream of Wheat, but needed to know if it was made with water or milk, and if milk, what kind, and if possible, could it be made a certain way?  He was so down-to-earth and polite, who he was didn't register to me, at first, and I had already been a fan for years.  But by the time I got to the kitchen, I realized who he was, and freaked out a little.  He waited patiently for me, and was really cool.  Really nice memory, but seeing he was still that way cracked me up a little.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

Though Jason has the eating and germ issues, I thought Will was the most high maintenance. He seemed to have a kidding-but-maybe-not-kidding way of wanting things to go a specific way. He’s much more aggressive. Sean was more go with the flow.

I thought it was funny when Matt Damon looked at Jason and said “You’ve never had to audition. You’ve been famous since you were eight. I used to look at you on tv and think [high pitched voice] “I can do what he does.” 

It’s true, back in the days of three channels and little to no cable tv, all of them probably grew up watching Jason on Silver Spoons, It’s Your Move, etc. I know I did.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

all of them probably grew up watching Jason on Silver Spoons

That was the first time I saw his dramatic acting skills.  They gave him a serious storyline at one point, and he played it so well, and with such subtlety, I think that's when I went from liking him because of his cute side, to really being a fan.

• Like 1

I haven't watched the shows but I just listened to a podcast they did with Jon Favreau, who said that the podcast is like hanging out with them -- apparently they know each other well.

But one thing surprised me, Bateman said the podcast is the most successful thing each of them have done.

Favreau was praising them, how they didn't go in with some business model, they just kind of did it and it became a smash success.

Still they've all done movies and TV for years and the podcast apparently makes them more money than what they've earned on all those other projects?

None of them are movie leads but Bateman has headed up some shows.

• Like 2