Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Moondance

• Start Topic

Looks like I have more time on my hands than a lot of folks here, but I'm most of the way through; at this point I just want to find out what happens.  One thing bugs me in this & the other episodes of this "half season".  I almost always watch with cc's and I normally appreciate when they try to include the sound effects.  But in I think every single episode so far, there are multiple times when the cc's read "sucks teeth".  I mean, I know what they're trying to describe, but can't they find a more elegant (or less gross) way to describe it?

Anyway, hopefully we'll soon find out what's going on in the multiple wedding teases we've been seeing.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

But in I think every single episode so far, there are multiple times when the cc's read "sucks teeth".  I mean, I know what they're trying to describe, but can't they find a more elegant (or less gross) way to describe it?

You’re not alone there. I watch pretty much everything with CCs on just so I don’t miss anything. (I read an article recently talking about how it’s becoming more and more necessary in order to understand all the dialogue in shows, even if you have no trouble with hearing — link below.) I was getting really sick of seeing [sucks teeth] over and over. Since it was almost always Kate doing it, I wondered if it was an acting choice, a personal quirk of Sarah Chalke’s, or something the director told her to do. Regardless, was it really necessary to include it in the CCs?

The Real Reason You Use Closed Captions for Everything Now

• Like 4
On 4/28/2023 at 6:49 PM, SoMuchTV said:

But in I think every single episode so far, there are multiple times when the cc's read "sucks teeth".  I mean, I know what they're trying to describe, but can't they find a more elegant (or less gross) way to describe it?

That really stood out to me, too. They aren't really "taking" as an indicator of shame, but it's a similar noise. I'm not sure every instance had to be captioned.

Anyway, hopefully we'll soon find out what's going on in the multiple wedding teases we've been seeing.

I've been impressed with how well they've done this. It's not Johnny and Tully (thank goodness!) or Johnny and someone else; it's not Tully and someone else, etc.

On 4/28/2023 at 7:09 AM, greekmom said:

In the 1980s, Johnny wrestles with another piece of overwhelming news.

Ugh, I know this was in character for Johnny, but I'm SO tired of seeing men who learn they're going to be fathers take off without telling their partners, regardless of whether they plan to return. It's not as if Kate had all that much time to absorb the news, yet somehow women are supposed to be totally thrilled with the news and take it in stride. Also, we know Kate and Johnny wanted kids and had plans. Things happened earlier than they planned, but by what, a year? With as much sex as they'd been having, was a pregnancy really so unexpected?

All that said, Johnny had some decent growth as a person.

• Like 3

Thank goodness for that! 

I loved the moon ritual, and their yelling “fuck cancer!” 

Looks like I have more time on my hands than a lot of folks here, but I'm most of the way through; at this point I just want to find out what happens.  One thing bugs me in this & the other episodes of this "half season".  I almost always watch with cc's and I normally appreciate when they try to include the sound effects.  But in I think every single episode so far, there are multiple times when the cc's read "sucks teeth".  I mean, I know what they're trying to describe, but can't they find a more elegant (or less gross) way to describe it?

I have too much time, but I haven’t been sleeping much, and didn’t want to fall asleep watching it.  this past week has been a lot.  

I also haven’t been wanting to cry over a TV show, so I’ve been taking it slow.  I’m glad it was a fake-out. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

My favourite part had to be with Kate, Tully and Kate's mom getting stoned and Cloud saying something along the lines of she wished she wasn't sober.

I also liked how the girls were so shocked Margie knew they snuck out at night because they were like Clydesdales coming up the stairs, and we got a callback to that when Tully told Dan she apparently had heavy footsteps when he told her he'd heard her in the hall.

• Like 3
On 4/30/2023 at 2:04 PM, dubbel zout said:

With as much sex as they'd been having, was a pregnancy really so unexpected?

Sex quantity and pregnancy are not guaranteed. I’m always surprised when sexually active people have unplanned pregnancies; hello, birth control? They obviously kept having lots of sex for years after that, but no other pregnancy ever happened.

Watching Tully pressure Danny into having sex with her and then her acting weird when he wanted to give her breakfast felt uncomfortable.

The scene between Johnny and his dad was really powerful. I loved that and how the dad called him out to take responsibility. But at the same time, Johnny's point of view was completely understandable as well.

• Like 1