Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E12: Quarter Finals

• Start Topic

So they timed the British Invasion show for the week before the Coronation. Synergistic planning anyone? :) 

Macaw did a great cover to start the show, and was certainly safe. He seems to be having fun with his role. He comes across as a younger person, definitely LGBTQ+, so the Macaw's plummage probably appeals to him.

California Roll were good, but man what a horrible song choice. I never really cared for the song in the first place anyways so that didn't help. But they're one of the strongest groups the show has had, so they're certainly safe.

I didn't recognize UFO's song, and really she didn't really do all that good on it. The judges had to gush about it of course, but it was obvious she's the one getting the boot tonight. (especially since Just-Returned Medusa wouldn't get booted on the first ep back).

Medusa's song I recognized on the chorus, but man, I'm out of touch with 'modern' British songs I guess. Still she did a passable performance. If they were to do a showdown she would've been in it vs UFO, but as is she eeked by. 

As for guessing who UFO was, they were trying to push Phil's daughter as a possibility, but I knew that couldn't be the case. If they really had Phil Collin's daughter, on a British themed show, there's no way in hell they wouldn't have had her doing a Phil or Genesis song (or at the very least they would have had someone do one of those songs).

I'm rooting for the Macaw.  He had to me far and away the best performance tonight.  

I don't know much about Pentatonix and wouldn't be able to name any of the individuals, but frankly, I thought the guy who sang second (and appeared to have the lead part) sucked ass.  I wasn't even that impressed with them as a whole, maybe they sound better in person.  Wilson Phillips was eons better as a group on this show.

I didn't think UFO should have beaten Dandelion, but good for Olivia Culpo.  I had no idea she could sing and it was clearly telegraphed that she was going to go home since they had to save Medusa.

I am not a Medusa fan and I just don't think she's a very good singer.  Her tone sounds awful.  I don't know if that's how she sounds or if she's purposely trying to go for some kind of raspy "I have a cold" sound, but it was not enjoyable to me.

• Like 1

Macaw did a lovely version of Your Song and I figured he was safe.

Pentatonix doing Creep was interesting and I actually enjoyed the performance for the most part.  Of course the panel is straining to guess anyone but Pentatonix is funny.

I found it odd that UFO (or the show) would choose that Amy Winehouse song.  I knew it but it wasn't exactly one of her better known songs.  And of course with that I knew she'd be going home.  Since I haven't paid attention to the pageant shows in eons, I was surprised by her reveal but I also knew it wasn't Lily Collins.

Medusa singing an Adele song was a choice.  Like most of her stuff, she'll sound fine in parts and then go off the rails in others and this performance was no different but I also knew she wasn't going home.  Now that we know she's a mom I'm glad the panel will stop with the Lorde and Kesha guesses because I figure both of them have better control over their voices than Medusa seems to have over hers.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

When the panel actually HAD to drop "Pentatonix" as a guess last night, I was sure that was a sign they were going to go home, despite being far from the worse act last night (and actually being the second best act). Thankfully they did keep going, but it did have me sweating a bit. The show is obviously rigged more than a classic schooner, but California Roll going out before UFO or Medusa would have been a REALLY hard sell. 

• Like 2

On a previous thread, I mentioned that UFO was a weaker finalist than Macaw and California Roll. But they bussed her tonight just by song choice. She has a sweet angelic tone. Her voice was not meant to sing an Amy Winehouse song. I knew that she was a goner after her performance.

There are spoilers out there for all three finalists. I agree with all of them based on the singing performances. Although, I've heard California Roll sing better. I don't think Creep suits them either. Medusa sounds better in recordings after they fix some of her vocals.

• Like 1

I still like Medusa the most. Pentatonix sounded the best they have so far in this episode though. Macaw doesn't really do anything for me but if he is David Archuleta then I have some fondness for him just because of nostalgia lol.

I was rooting for UFO because 1) I liked her tone; and 2) I always liked the band UFO (Strangers in the Night is my favorite live album of all-time).  UFO is a British band, and it would've been cool had she done one of their tunes...a long shot, I know, but any one of their songs would not have been any more obscure than the Amy Winehouse song they had for her.