Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Hoping for Forever

• Start Topic

(edited)

DOES LOCKDOWN NOT MEAN "LOCKING ALL THE DOORS"?!

Damn, Lady MacTrust managed to get one last good stab in Spacefluencer - I can't tell if she knew Cat was banging her husband and wanted to torture her beyond death, or if she didn't and just managed to torture her anyways.

Ah, so reassuring to know that all of humanity has boiled down to a bunch of goobers trying to avoid being genocided by two idiot narcissists.

BSG Memorial Personnel Count: 121
  +5: Airlock Boarding Party
  -5: Airlock Boarding Party
  +1: Marco
  -1: Marco
  -1: Lady MacTrust
  -3: Lane, Trust and Angus go to 15
  -1: Garnet to the rescue!

-1: SusKelly

Edited by CoyoteBlue
Forgot SusKelly left!
  • Like 1

It's interesting how travel times of the Arks have basically winnowed down to nothing -- after spending a week at FTL headed to Ross 128B both Arks show up at Proxima B in no time at all.

Why would Proxima B have been under consideration as a possible destination in the first place if the planet didn't spin ?

How long has Ark 15 spent at Proxima B in order to install the widgets that could make an entire planet spin ?  That seems like something that might take a while to assemble.

Kelly confesses to murdering several people but expects Angus to trust her -- I don't see that happening.

Kelly certainly does have some maternal issues -- doing what she could to please mommy dearest Maddox all while Maddox barely cared that she was still alive and was throwing some serious shade Kelly's way about her dating life.

• Like 1

Cogner?  Who is this chick?  IMDB says she's been in all 10 episodes so far.  Has she?  I figured she would just be a red shirt and die on Ark 15.  I guess she got lucky.

I really don't understand the lack of security measures on the Arks.  No codes or anything are needed to open airlocks from the outside?  No warning system or alert on the bridge (or anywhere else) that the external air lock has been opened?

I also don't understand the concept of guns on spaceships.  As Marko Ramius once said "Most things in here don't react too well to bullets."

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

Cogner?  Who is this chick?  IMDB says she's been in all 10 episodes so far.  Has she?  I figured she would just be a red shirt and die on Ark 15.  I guess she got lucky.

She was Brice’s slampiece in the early episodes. So yeah, she was getting very lucky.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, KeithJ said:

I really don't understand the lack of security measures on the Arks.  No codes or anything are needed to open airlocks from the outside?  No warning system or alert on the bridge (or anywhere else) that the external air lock has been opened?

I know, it's ridiculous, like so many things on this show - yet another plot contrivance so the writers can move their action figures/characters where they want them to go, even if it makes the ship's designers seem incompetent. Too bad the writers can't think of another way to make things happen more realistically. I mean, how did that one Ark 15 guy even maneuver himself into position to open the airlock? At first I thought he was one of the guys who'd been shot out into space by Garnett, but I guess he was just sent on a separate mission to infiltrate while the Ark 15 shuttle provided a distraction, since Garnett later said she was using that same tactic to board Ark 15. But even so, how'd he *not* float away? And how'd the Ark 1 crew not spot him exiting the shuttle (presumably) to propel himself over to a different entrance/airlock thingy?

I'm clearly not an expert scientist myself, but I'd do more research if it was my job to write a sci-fi space show. :P

Even though I'm nitpicking and I know this isn't actually a *good* show, I'm still kind of hooked and interested in what wacky thing will happen next.

Maybe Angus will suddenly develop the ability to read social cues and turn into a master manipulator who uses Kelly's mommy issues against her in order to escape his comfy prison. Then he can speed-grow a poisonous plant to drug Ark 15, rescue Lane and Trust, and they shuttle on outta there! Unknowingly leaving Sharon Garnett behind on Ark 15, to wander through all the passed out people, in confusion. But then she boots them all out of the airlock and takes over Ark 15! But then it turns out Kelly's alive! She's good at hiding and being the last survivor. Which super-skinny, super-strong redhead will win? I'd say Garnett, but since Kelly's actress is the daughter of one of the showrunners...we might be stuck with her as a recurring thorn-in-their-side villain who never truly gets defeated. Yay. :P

Okay, I know this takes place in the future, but a device that can make an entire planet start rotating? I looked it up, Proxima B is 1.3 times the size of Earth. And those devices were small enough to fit on what is a pretty tiny arc in comparison to another planet. Explain to me how it is physically possible they could impact something so much bigger than them?

Also, I am not usually one to advocate for weapons, but Ark 1 has zero weapons on board? At all? You send a ship of people on a journey to a new planet with nothing to defend themselves? What if there is actually life on another planet somewhere and it is hostile? What if someone sneaks onto the Ark illegally and someone else violently murders him? What if after traveling for years another ship leaves Earth and attacks you with their weapons? Or someone from another ship ends up on board and they have weapons? What if when you get to the new planet you use that DNA vault to bring some creepy animals back to life and they attack people?

How did Ark 1 still have their shuttle to get to Ark 15. Kelly, Lane, Agnus, and Trust took it to Ark 15 when they left, then Ark 1 immediately when into FTL to get away. Although I guess they could have used the Ark 15 shuttle?

Funniest exchange this show has had yet:

Brice: It sucks to wake up and find out you were drugged by your friend after having sex with them.

Ava: Well, I tried to give you the drug before we had sex, but you wouldn't drink it then. 

Like that makes it any better Ava? I literally laughed out loud at that.

It may not sound it, but I actually have really been enjoying this show.

• Like 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Funniest exchange this show has had yet:

Brice: It sucks to wake up and find out you were drugged by your friend after having sex with them.

Ava: Well, I tried to give you the drug before we had sex, but you wouldn't drink it then. 

Like that makes it any better Ava? I literally laughed out loud at that.

What made me laugh was the expressions on everyone else’s faces as Brice unintentionally outed himself and Ava having had sex.

I’m a little disappointed William Trust isn’t played by Matt Frewer.

So sorry to see Lady MacTrust go… /s

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 4/6/2023 at 4:23 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Why would Proxima B have been under consideration as a possible destination in the first place if the planet didn't spin ?

Exactly!  That made no sense at all.  And the Arks all heading there not knowing if the devices would actually work unless I missed something.

5 hours ago, lh25 said:

Exactly!  That made no sense at all.  And the Arks all heading there not knowing if the devices would actually work unless I missed something.

I was going to say maybe they didn't know it didn't spin until they got close enough, but I just Googled it and NASA already knows Proxima B doesn't spin. So maybe we are in a alternate universe where even though things are more futuristic people didn't know that one single fact?

Also, even if these devices work and start it spinning, wouldn't it take time to change the temperature of the entire planet? If half of it is frozen, it won't just melt instantly.

They actually said in the pilot that Proxima B was the planet most likely to support life. So either they were very wrong or the other planets are even worse. Distance shouldn't really matter for the original Arks, since they were supposed to be in Cryro. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I’m a little disappointed William Trust isn’t played by Matt Frewer.

Ooh good one.  I posted on a different forum that the casting is probably the main consequence from them filming this show in Serbia, rather than Vancouver like a proper Syfy show.  I’m not even saying anything bad about the current cast- but imagine if they could’ve gotten Anna Silk for Maddox or Lexa Doig as Helena…

With the casting: it is a bit strange how, compared to the actors playing them, a lot of these characters have fairly Anglo names - Maddox, Strickland, Griff, Dades…. I wonder if they wanted to shoot in Belfast or something, and had to switch to Belgrade.  But then they didn’t bother to change the scripts or casting sheets?  Oh, and in looking up the names I found out that Cogner is French for “to bump”- which, given her history with Brice…

Still, this episode wasn’t too bad overall.  We got a lot more info on the machinations in the Ark program, there was a decent amount of action, and if Maddox and Trust were the people in charge of these projects back on Earth, it kinda explains why most of the season has been saddled with petty bickering.

Points to Garnett for flushing the main raiding party- but we’ll have to deduct some for not securing the other airlocks.  She’s also lucky that the Russian mob art thieves of A15 were dumb enough to fall for their own trick.

Speaking of dumb, Kelly is definitely more fun In psycho mode- but how do you come back to A15 without the spider juice?  How about once you incapacitate Felix, you take a minute and have one of your hostages grab the earbud dna case?  It was genuinely surprising to discover that she’s Maddox!s daughter, both on a genetic and linguistic level.  Maybe Kelly was adopted?  At age 13?  From a mental hospital in Calgary?

Kudos to Lane for even attempting to help Felix in the fight.  Not sure what was holding back Trust and Angus though.  Yes, I know she’s got a gun, and you’re zip-tied.  But there are still three of you, and she’s a rail thin teenager.  I think you can take her.  

• Like 1
On 4/6/2023 at 6:23 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Theoretically, on a tidally locked eyeball planet there is a small habitable zone, where it is perpetually sunset as opposed to always night/cold or always day/hot. Of course, that's only viable if there is a landmass in the right spot.

• Like 1