Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Of Butchers And Betrayals

• Start Topic

Those marks are super sketchy so don't discount them Turner. Alan Wayne was totally murdered and those marks are no doubt connected.

And there it is, the tip of the Talon's knife. Nice and quick well done show.

Brody's dad is running for mayor now. "Two faced politician." My head hurts from the anvil but I get it.

The school library has the serial killer yearbook in stock. No wonder Gotham is Gotham.

I love Carrie and Duella teaming up. Duella in prep school garb is funny.

Eunice has crazy eyes so I'm wondering if she helped her dad out on occasion.

And there it is. Ok so I'm wrong and she didn't help her dad but she's still on his team and invoking the Court with the rhyme and everything.

Stephanie and Cullen bonding over research and addict parents. 

All of the pairings in this episode are working well together.

I'm surprised Cressida put her own name down when she visited Eunice. An alias likely wouldn't be noticed much less challenged.

I'm sure the masks are old but Turner and Friends should still look into who made them originally as a possible lead to the identities.

Cullen's a sweet guy and must be protected at all costs. So glad he encouraged Harper to get to know Stephanie rather than blab about her mother.

So either the Talon is immortal or the Court has resurrection powers. And is apparently Felix the Butcher. Interesting.

Veronica Cartwright as Eunice Harmon  
GKT104b_0438r-fd9cf3771fb55a23.jpeg

Another really nice episode, I wish they would film action scenes with a little more light. I had no idea that Turner had been living with Bruce Wayne for such a long time, several years. Turner should have been shooting at the Owls, not the Talon.

This was a good episode. The show definitely works better as an ensemble instead of focusing on a lead. The various pairings worked well and gave characters some depth. Turner and Harper, Duella and Carrie, Stephanie and Cullen were all good at working together and hope we get more interactions with them. 

I kind of hope we get a running gag of Cullen as a cop and becoming friends with the sergeant.

So are we getting Harvey having a psychological break before the physical transformation to Two-Face?

Definitely think they are setting up Stephanie and Harper. 

Liked that Cullen and Stephanie bonded over their personal traumas and glad that Stephanie has someone she can confide in. It seems that her friendship with Turner is more her being his confidant not both ways. Seems like she is always trying to take care and be there for him. I don’t think this is something that is Turner’s fault as Stephanie probably does purposely hide this from Turner. 

I know another poster mentioned it last week that we shouldn’t really blame the victims but with each episode it does seem like Gotham and its citizens kind of ask to be victims. First the school library has a book about series killers but the same school apparently has no night security. Also how was there a whole cake left there over night?

• Like 1
17 hours ago, ybrik said:

I know another poster mentioned it last week that we shouldn’t really blame the victims but with each episode it does seem like Gotham and its citizens kind of ask to be victims. First the school library has a book about series killers but the same school apparently has no night security. Also how was there a whole cake left there over night?

See I thought the Cullen took the cake before Cathy (or whoever's name was on the cake) had a chance to see the cake.

Ah Harvey. He came in contact with the coin and it totally messed up with his head.

In the previous episode, we saw saw Cressida burning the will, so Turner is out of luck there.

Those masks look silly, not scary.

On 4/4/2023 at 7:00 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I'm surprised Cressida put her own name down when she visited Eunice. An alias likely wouldn't be noticed much less challenged.

I had the same thought. It's not like nursing homes ID people. And even if they did, it's Gotham. Security is always bribeable and/or incompetent.

Add me to the chorus re: enjoying the various pairings of characters. I also agree that this show works better as an ensemble. Bat Brat is fairly bland but he does okay when his scene partners help elevate him.

18 hours ago, ybrik said:

Liked that Cullen and Stephanie bonded over their personal traumas and glad that Stephanie has someone she can confide in. It seems that her friendship with Turner is more her being his confidant not both ways. Seems like she is always trying to take care and be there for him. I don’t think this is something that is Turner’s fault as Stephanie probably does purposely hide this from Turner. 

Yes.  And it almost certainly is that Stephanie has never allowed Turner to know anything. She may confide other things. But a classic defense skill of children of addicts is to create a normal facade and hide the truth, especially with people who do not share the experience. It functions as a shield for their parent whom they love and feel a need to protect and also a space in their own lives that isn't the chaos their parent creates.  A sort of temporary escape from the reality at home.

And with Turner, who has a known serious trauma, deflecting to him would be easy both in conversation and in her own head. 

• Useful 1

So, Harvey is either being framed for the mayor's murder or apparently is blacking out and actually did do it.  Perhaps it's the origin of his Two-Face persona?

Always good seeing Veronica Cartwright.  Once again, one of my favorite parts about the whole Court of Owls thing is that it's making Duela of all people freak the hell out.  Just funny that the daughter of one of the most famous psychos out there is like "This is too much!" whenever the Owls factor in.

Stephanie/Cullen was a nice duo and I like how it might expand onto possibly Harper warming up to her: or at least not being as hostile with her.  Still wonder if they might go down a romantic path since that's usually how CW shows go.

Glad Turner already knows the truth about Cressida.  Since she is expressing forms of regret her betrayal, I'm guessing she's destined for the "redeemed through sacrifice" ending.

Lincoln March returns and think he's being targeted by the Court.  I'm still wondering if it's all an act and he's actually a member.

Show is definitely growing on me.  Too bad I'm not hearing much buzz about it.

What’s more creepy than the Talon poem? The Talon poem recited by an old lady . . . whose father is alive, well, and skewering anyone that offends the Court. Good thing Stephanie had total access to the fingerprints of everyone who ever lived in Gotham City!

And yeah, getting a situation where Duela is freaking out is a good way to show the higher stakes. Once again, I’m digging the crazy girl. I hope that doesn’t say anything about me.

March refers to Harvey as “two-faced” . . . and cut to Harv lying on the couch, half his face visible. I’m not a fan of cute moments like that.

Weird question . . . anyone else annoyed by Turner’s name? Bruce picked up a waif whose name was geared to be upper-crust . . . That’s also annoying. Or maybe I’m not used to a character without a canon counterpart. “Turner” being the middle name works for me, but I’m just being nitpicky. 🤷‍♂️