Type keyword(s) to search

[BUG, 98% FIXED] Followed Topics Manage links go to first page

• Start Topic

Will topic follows going to the first page instead of last post be part of the April update or is this a “me” specific issue I need to figure out? If I navigate from Lifestyles-HouseHunters it goes to last read post. If I navigate from managed topics page or my home page it goes to the first page of the topic. I thought this was only happening with HH but it is all topics. The site does remember where I left off, there is a line for the new post, I just have to go to the last page then scroll back several posts/several pages to find the last read post.

iphone 11 current on update safari

chromebook current on update

• Like 3

The follows page has also suddenly started bringing me to either blogs or members, none of which I actually follow, instead of to topics, which I do. It's annoying and I can't find a way to set it back to where it used to be. It now takes multiple page loads to do what used to be one click.

Yes, when you click on your topic it still takes you to the first page and not where you left off. And with my memory, sometimes I can't remember where I left off. 😂

Did you want me to start another new thread about it @SilverStormm

For a very short timeframe this stopped being an issue for me and then went back to being an issue. It was during the recent wonkiness of the update that it momentarily worked like it was supposed to work.

Sorry to report nothing has changed for me @SilverStormm. Still go to first page of any topic instead of where I left off, and now my topics page seems to be all messed up with titles sprawling in a long vertical line down many pages like this:

Ge

ne

ral

Hos

pi

tal 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Sorry to report nothing has changed for me @SilverStormm. Still go to first page of any topic instead of where I left off, and now my topics page seems to be all messed up with titles sprawling in a long vertical line down many pages like this:

Ge

ne

ral

Hos

pi

tal 

Yikes, that's awful. What device, browser etc are you using, and is this a recent thing?

(edited)

For Topics I Follow, when I click a topic, it still brings me to the first topic. 

I usually work around it by going to the Forums the topic is in and then clicking the Topic; that jumps me to the first unread message.

And like @TVBitch above, in the past day or two, my "Followed Content" page got squished with the Topic smooshed into a 5-10 character wide column it seems. (I think the Forum view is a little squished as well but not quite as bad). I'm on Chrome on the Desktop with Nightmode enabled (Checked in Day mode and it does the same thing)

Was the "Change Preferences" always a column on that page? I don't seem to recall it being there; if it was added recently maybe that's thrown off the column widths? 

This is an example of what I'm seeing: 

image.thumb.png.cb14a8497733f607ea980b3ce2636c4b.pngThis 

Edited by Taeolas
  • Like 1

This may have been clarified previously and apologies if so, but many things have happened, including me sleeping last night, since then if that's the case - are you all referring only to your followed content page re first post vs latest post and page layout issues?

Correct, this is my Followed Content page,  ("Topics I follow"). Jumping to the first unread from that page hasn't worked since the upgrade in the OP. 

The topic column squishing happened in the past day or two. 

• Like 2

For those of you using the Manage Followed Topics page, switch your theme to Primetimer 4711. This will be the default in a bit; just letting it cook before I commit to masses being forced to it. Same theme, just with fixen's.

This Manage Follows section is MUCH better. Note that does not necessarily mean great; it's an old area with some hard columns and table formatting. When viewing followed forums, the last updated topic titles if super long might over-run bits but it's really 99% fine.

The links to switch between forums, topics, and member follows - they mostly work but there are some collisions with the ad code (guessing...) so if a choice doesn't load just click again and again or reload the page.

I have NOT gotten to the last comment linking stuff discussed here, I'll look but, really, and I'm not trying to be a stern school marm here, but this area is literally for you to MANAGE your follows: that's change how you follow, what notifications you get from them, stop following, etc. It is not, and I can guarantee the software devs will never make it, a spot you commonly use to browse the site. On the followed forums view here I had to force in the latest topic links manually as that is not part of templates any more.

On that note...

BlaringFrenchKissingbug-max-1mb.gif

Streams.

Screenshot 2023-07-13 171904.jpg

Granted, it's tucked away up there but it's real and spectacular. You can set a custom stream that shows just your follows however you want them to show, and the links I guarantee will take you to the latest post or the latest unread post if you have those settings on - it's all built out for that. 

Screenshot 2023-07-13 172231.jpg

Go to stream page and start adjusting what you want by clicking those select boxes.

Screenshot 2023-07-13 172340.jpg

You don't have to save, but in this case, probably yes. Do it. And name it whatever you want.

Screenshot 2023-07-13 172455.jpg

Check check it. Your custom name is there for the title and WHAT it is is described for you based on your choices. The default community stream is just... well, everything new. You want a new stream default and there is your option to set your custom My Follows stream to be YOUR default. After you do that, any time you click that tiny streams link, you will get all your follows.

This is the point where @SilverStormm comes around and harvests this all for an announcement or stickied post or something. She could make a vid going through the process as well; I won't stop her.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, AllAstronauts said:

This is the point where @SilverStormm comes around and harvests this all for an announcement or stickied post or something. She could make a vid going through the process as well; I won't stop her.

Better yet, she can have someone else who's super duper with this stuff do it instead. That's my option and I'm sticking with it, CM's prerogative, heh. 😉

In all seriousness, I'll see what I can do.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, if it helps anyone else bite the bullet, I was someone who used Followed Topics for a long time. It was how I read new posts for topics I follow that aren't actually shows that appear on my Home page (e.g., topics for sports I follow, topics for a channel, etc.). I was still using it for a bit after it stopped going to new comments, and I was just clicking to the last post and scrolling up.

But I finally got fed up with that and investigated streams, which I had never previously used (even though I saw other people mention it). I set up one that only shows topics I follow and named it "New content in Topics I follow". When I click the topic name in a post that shows up there, it takes me to first unread comment in that topic, just like Followed Topics used to. It took me some time to get used to seeing a comment that may be newer than my first unread, but I have mostly trained myself to ignore the comment and just click straight on the Topic title.

So for anyone else who was using Followed Topics like I was, Streams is a suitable replacement if you set it up properly.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Screenshot 2023-07-14 233220.jpg

Under account settings (click your user name in the upper right of any screen to get that option), choose content view behavior and pick how you would like links that go to content with comments behave.

Comments you haven not yet read, beginning of all comments, or the very latest (last) comment.

This controls many of the content links, but not all (such as Manage Follows). But streams and other normal locations will (should...) respect this choice you make here.

Barring any gnashing of teeth this bug fix theme will be set to default for all in 12 hours give or take.

Is there any way to set Manged Followed Content to default to the topics page, instead of members? It was always that way until recently. I don't follow any members so it's a totally useless thing to have to click away from all the time.

• Like 1

Maybe. I actually removed a bunch of the non-used apps from the array but that broke the javascript default or something but I should, eventually... (there is a line forming), just push forums to the top of the line. You'd want forums actually as the vast majority of shows are actually forums and not topics.

And hey, look at that, 12 hours. The bug fixed theme for all the ad wonkiness is now the default for everyone.