Type keyword(s) to search

Jury Duty - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My husband and I just finished bingeing this show, and we are recommending it to everyone. There were times, especially in the earlier episodes, when I was screaming with laughter because it was so ridiculous. Yet I could see why someone unfamiliar with real jury trials (as opposed to TV trials) could think it was real. We had some of the same questions that other posters here, but after watching the final episode and reading some articles about how it was made, it's clear that absolutely everyone on the show was an actor (or an extra) except for Ronald, and that none of them were actually summoned to jury duty the normal way. The actors and extras were hired by casting, and Ronald was one of thousands of people who replied to a Craigslist ad looking for people to participate in a documentary about jury duty. 

This article answers some of the questions about how they did it. https://www.vulture.com/article/jury-duty-interview.html 

Since this took place in the LA area, it's not so surprising to find an actor in a jury pool. I think James Marsden was a good casting choice because he is recognizable but not such a big star that Ronald might have been suspicious.

• Like 3

Just had to chime in on how much I loved this show. I don't understand the suspicion that Ron's actually an actor etc. or that his lines seemed too "written." Regular people watch TV and it influences the way we all talk. Real people can be funny on their own! If the judge (who very much seemed like a real judge) told Ron something, he'd buy it. The alternative is much stranger, after all. And it was funny when he said things on his own that they hoped they could manipulate him into saying, like racist line from Family Guy and having James sign his DVD.

Loved how sweet and gentle it was, and how Ronald was so nice--especially the reveal in the commentary that he was given to believe that Todd was a convicted felon and was still nothing but sweet to him. The only moment that annoyed me was the show having the judge frame things as if Ron was on trial and passed all the tests--like they had any right to test the guy and judge him! But in general, I totally loved it.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Just had to chime in on how much I loved this show. I don't understand the suspicion that Ron's actually an actor etc. or that his lines seemed too "written." Regular people watch TV and it influences the way we all talk.

This observation puts a related one in my head. I, too, believe Ron was a civilian. But in addition to the fact that all of us are influenced by TV in our styles of presentation, let us not forget that he was aware cameras were present at all times! The thing he thought to be true was that he was one of a bunch of people in a reality show. That was the very premise he was sold! We don't know what the real Ron, called for a real jury, sans cameras, would be like.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
31 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

This observation puts a related one in my head. I, too, believe Ron was a civilian. But in addition to the fact that all of us are influenced by TV in our styles of presentation, let us not forget that he was aware cameras were present at all times! The thing he thought to be true was that he was one of a bunch of people in a reality show. That was the very premise he was sold! We don't know what the real Ron, called for a real jury, sans cameras, would be like.

Yes! And he even said in the commentaries that he noticed the camera was on him--he just thought that was because he was seated next to James Marsden often.

Of course, there were times where he didn't know, but he still knew this experience wasn't completely private.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's often hard to live up to the hype. When I'm telling someone about a show or movie I absolutely loved, I sometimes downplay it a bit just so I don't get their hopes up too much. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Yeah, it's often hard to live up to the hype. When I'm telling someone about a show or movie I absolutely loved, I sometimes downplay it a bit just so I don't get their hopes up too much. 

It's not just fans though.  This show was emmy nominated for best comedy?  I know they nominate like 8 shows now but still. 

It's one of the shows I see nominated and just shake my head over the fact always sunny and some others have NEVER Bern nominated. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
On 4/20/2023 at 9:30 PM, Bill1978 said:

The final episode hit me with so many feels. Honestly, was not expecting that. 

I absolutely loved this show. Was it utterly hilarious? No. But I don't think it was meant to be. It still needed to feel real so Ron wouldn't start questioning what was happening. And they really did luck out with choosing Ron to be their everyday man. I don't think the show would have had the same charm if they chose someone with a different temperament and personality like Ron. I think the best thing about the show is they weren't trying to humiliate Ron and make him the butt of jokes, or make him out to look stupid for not knowing it was fake.

I liked all the bonus footage, like James returning with a second cake, that was shown in the final episode. The final episode was a great 'reunion' episode and the perfect way to end the series

And even though it was all staged, I can't believe how invested I was in the counting of liable/non-liable voted (Kudos to James for his Z joke)

I think my favourite moment from Ron was the very end when he realised he could still be called up to do jury duty since this duty doesn't count.

Will definitely recommend the show to all my friends.

Once I got into it, I enjoyed it. The "Jorf" shirt stuff was hilarious.  And when Marsden finds out he didn't get the role in Lone Pine, and yells "which Chris", I lost it.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Binged while waiting for more terrible weather to arrive (it didn't).

I'm in the camp that questions whether Ronald remained unspoiled the entire time. But the genius of the show is that his going along can be explained by his belief that he was in a documentary and he conformed accordingly, including the always-nice-guy persona. His reaction upon learning the reality seemed a bit too glib - many people do not like being fooled and I expected him to show at least a little consternation.

The biggest hint that this was not real was the courthouse staff allowing the "chants" through security and into a judge's courtroom. Not gonna happen in these days of deadly crowd violence.

I laughed hard at some of the jurors' reactions and facial expressions. Lonnie and Vanessa were hilarious, and we've all sat next to a sleepy Barbara in church, school, Zoom conferences...either watching in horror or trying not to laugh.

I recognized quite a few actors almost immediately - Susan Berger, Kirk Fox, and I thought Ben Seaward was another actor I'd seen somewhere, but he wasn't. I recognized Rashida Olayiwola from the little-known South Side.

Ronald's casting was very smart. He was so tall that viewers could easily spot him in every scene.

Second season? Viewers of Intervention know that the "jury pool" figures it out after several seasons.

Edited by pasdetrois
On 8/8/2023 at 8:31 AM, pasdetrois said:

I'm in the camp that questions whether Ronald remained unspoiled the entire time. But the genius of the show is that his going along can be explained by his belief that he was in a documentary and he conformed accordingly, including the always-nice-guy persona. His reaction upon learning the reality seemed a bit too glib - many people do not like being fooled and I expected him to show at least a little consternation.

Oh, I think it's totally believable that he'd be like that since he's just confused at first. It's not something he's going to take in right away, and plenty of people, when they're unsure, are going to be pleasant rather than angry. It's like how paramedics know that whenever they ask someone how they are, no matter how injured, the person's going to say they're fine.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2023 at 8:12 AM, SeanBug said:

Once I got into it, I enjoyed it. The "Jorf" shirt stuff was hilarious.  And when Marsden finds out he didn't get the role in Lone Pine, and yells "which Chris", I lost it.  

I just found this show yesterday and binged all eight episodes. Marsden asking, 'Which Chris?' was funny - and so was his comment about the X-Men and Jackman. 

• Like 1