Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Carnival Row

• Start Topic

Overall, a believable ending, even if a lot of it was rushed in a way that they probably initially had wanted more seasons to get to where it was needed.  Definitely like they needed more time to really establish Vignette/Tourmaline as the endgame couple (and show why she and Philo weren't meant to be), Dombey's sudden about face into something that resembled decency, and Imogen/Agreus reuniting, but I guess they did fine with the time they had.

Figured there was going to be at least one big death, and of course it had to be poor Darius.  Well, technically Kaine and Leonora died too, but I was definitely more bummed with his exit.  At least he did go out protecting Tourmaline for a bit and letting Vignette and Philo (damn, that man must have hustled to get there that quickly) swoop in to help take out the Sparos.

So, the New Dawn was defeated, but they're ideals did seem to carry on and change is slowly happening.  Still, seeing all the innocent Fae that got caught in the crossfire showed how ruthless Leonora had to be make that statement and she certainly did have some blood on her hands.  But, I guess she did go out on her own terms, which is probably the best ending for a rebel leader like her.

Glad that Millworthy made it and has gone back to the theater!!!!

Overall, not sure if this show will be sticking around with me for long, but it was an enjoyable enough of a watch for two seasons.  If nothing else, this was still some of the best work I've seen from both Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne, which has to account for something.

• Like 7

It was a decent series finale, at least they didn't leave us hanging. I'm a bit disappointed Vignette and Philo didn't wind up together but at least Vignette and Tourmaline got a happy ending. As did Agreus and Imogen, with a nice callback to their season 1 bonding moment over electric light.

I thought the whole story got kind of confusing toward the end. There were no factions in the right, they all seemed corrupt and determined to destroy, from the New Dawn the the Burgh Parliament to the Ravens. I was kind of shocked they killed off Jonah and Sophie mid-story.

I'm not sure anyone would have believed that Philo was really Breakspear's son let alone welcomed him to the Chancellorship. I guess Millworthy could have vouched for him but I'm not sure that would have been enough.

Overall I really liked it and chalk some of the density toward the end to having to rush since it was the last season. I'd be curious to know why they decided to end it so soon. It took four years to get around to finishing a second season, if they were that on the fence about it you'd think they would have just abandoned it.

• Like 7

I thought I'd written a note about this episode, and considering how few the comments are, it deserves more notice.

Some undetermined 'many' moons later Milworthy is telling the story of Philo's heroic killing of the monster. There is some free movement between Tirnanoc and the Burge, because he has his Kobolds back working with him. They are no longer deported. And he is helping to strengthen the idea that Philo is a hero, one hopes Darius as well. I was moved by the conversation at the end between Philo and Millworthy, she would have been proud of you....she would have been proud of you, too.

I'm guessing the heroic act allowed Philo to put forth his name as the Chancellor's eldest son, and that some faction took up his cause and promoted his ascention to political position. I'm guessing that Philo considered it, too long, and Vignette and Tourmaline immigrated to Tirnanoc without him. I think that is what he means and how he may have lost the love of his life. I'm sorry about it, too, but this wasn't a romance novel and in any case, there was a happily ever after implied (I assume that there would still be strife in Tirnanoc), just not the one we expected.

Loved Philo going off to whatever is next. thought his speech was interesting, and good on him for deciding not to let them use him as an excuse not to change. I'm not quite sure what this means in real life, where so many of the prominent Indian personages (including Ghandi) were all of the british educated Brahmin class. But I really don't know that much about it. Maybe the New Dawn will have to tear them down in the end. But without Philo.

• Like 5

I think they stuck the landing. They probably wanted 3 seasons, with Jonah and Sophie's deaths being the S2 cliffhanger. But COVID and Amazon got in the way of all that. So we had this slightly rushed season, where they managed to tell the story they wanted to.  A good effort all around. It's a world I would like them to come back to sometime. Maybe a sequel in modern times? Maybe a graphic novel?

• Like 3
On 3/20/2023 at 2:40 PM, Affogato said:

I was moved by the conversation at the end between Philo and Millworthy, she would have been proud of you....she would have been proud of you, too.

That got me in my feelings as well. 

They did well with what they had, and the ending seemed fitting. Philo and Vignette may have loved each other but they weren’t going to work out. Asking the other one to compromise their ideals for the other would’ve just lead to resentment. 

• Like 3
On 3/19/2023 at 11:42 AM, iMonrey said:

Overall I really liked it and chalk some of the density toward the end to having to rush since it was the last season. I'd be curious to know why they decided to end it so soon. It took four years to get around to finishing a second season, if they were that on the fence about it you'd think they would have just abandoned it.

They started filming Season 2 in 2020, had to pause for Covid, Orlando’s paternity leave, Orlando’s injury and then ALL the post production in a series like this takes a long time (special effects etc). I think they didn’t want to scrap the footage since so much money had been spent, but actors have other roles and Orlando may have had other commitments or wanted to move on. 

• Like 2

I don't remember much of the first season, but thought this was great.

Acting was great and I liked most of the characters, Tourmaline was probably my favourite.

Orlando Bloom is extremely good-looking.

• Like 3