Type keyword(s) to search

Rico To The Rescue - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Rico swoops in to help homeowners dealing with a project-gone-awry because of a bad contractor. The super builder shares his own experience with dodgy contractors, dishes how to find a good one and explains how he plans to rescue homeowners' in Denver with his expertise.

I’m so glad this topic got created - I’ve been waiting to chat with others about the last episode (the Scofields). Crazy that the producers had to tell them to stay away during Rico’s work. Then her reaction at the reveal was fascinatingly flat. She opted for a giant closet for her stuff vs paying for her twin daughters’ bedrooms to be finished (so Rico funded that) - maybe producer driven? I’ve read the woman’s FB page about their take on the experience. Worth a read. 🙂

• Like 2

I can't believe the attitudes of the contractors on this show.   Especially the episode on the ranch house, with the van people.   Took hundreds of thousands in payments, and the insurance offered less than $20k settlement?    How do some of these contractors keep a license? 

• Like 3

Ha, I've been wanting to dish on this for a few weeks (since I started watching). If anything was going to reinforce my apprehension about contractors, this show is it. And Rico (like Nate and Jeremiah) are nowhere near here). 

Holy crap, I'm hoping that some of these contractors don't prevail in court and the homeowners get more money back than Rico's able to try to soft sell them to refund. $200,000 and nothing to show but demo? In what world? 

Anyway, I may have to track down that Scofield page. This may not have been all on that contractor. She combined RBF with narcissism. And the daughters' TH said the most. They were excited for their bedrooms but more relieved that their parents weren't going to stress out anymore. Can you imagine what living with her was like during all this?

I'll have to try to remember some of the lowlights from other episodes. 

• Like 3

Between the stupidity of the owners and the pure criminal behaviour of the contractors this programme is disturbing. Wish Rico would focus more on those stories than the house renovations. All of those are quite boring. 

On 3/4/2023 at 3:36 PM, Cancun said:

I’m so glad this topic got created - I’ve been waiting to chat with others about the last episode (the Scofields). Crazy that the producers had to tell them to stay away during Rico’s work. Then her reaction at the reveal was fascinatingly flat. She opted for a giant closet for her stuff vs paying for her twin daughters’ bedrooms to be finished (so Rico funded that) - maybe producer driven? I’ve read the woman’s FB page about their take on the experience. Worth a read. 🙂

do you have the link for the FB post?  I'd love to read it.

She gave off some horrible vibes.

• Like 3
On 3/4/2023 at 3:36 PM, Cancun said:

Crazy that the producers had to tell them to stay away during Rico’s work. Then her reaction at the reveal was fascinatingly flat. She opted for a giant closet for her stuff vs paying for her twin daughters’ bedrooms to be finished (so Rico funded that) - maybe producer driven? I’ve read the woman’s FB page about their take on the experience. Worth a read. 🙂

She seemed underwelmed and felt like she was thinking about how she might be able to sue Rico down the road. Heh! 

• LOL 4

Well, Rico’s back, and so is my contractor traumatic stress syndrome. But our guy couldn’t hold a candle to Jerry here, who basically robbed the family, stiffed his subs and suppliers, lied repeatedly and thought it was a good idea to appear on camera. He left them with an exposed second floor! He claimed, at various points, to be dying and/or headed to prison. Either, really.

Rico fixed the house, didn’t take a fee, helped the family get $40k or more from the insurance company and got a bunch of materials donated. The couple seemed nice, but yikes, their previous two years were horrible. Rico’s team made them a nice indoor/outdoor set up, additional bathroom and a lovely bedroom for the two young daughters. But did I see just one bed? 

Idiot Jerry couldn’t even measure the custom doors correctly! Rico reframed it all and I was relieved not to have to hear about the need for a steel beam.

• Like 2

As much as I want to feel sorry for these folks, I don't understand why they kept giving Jerry more money. It's obvious that Jerry is not a licensed contractor. So why would they even hire him in the first place? A simple internet search with their local contractor's board would have waved a lot of red flags. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 1/24/2024 at 11:55 PM, buttersister said:

Well, Rico’s back, and so is my contractor traumatic stress syndrome. But our guy couldn’t hold a candle to Jerry here, who basically robbed the family, stiffed his subs and suppliers, lied repeatedly and thought it was a good idea to appear on camera. He left them with an exposed second floor! He claimed, at various points, to be dying and/or headed to prison. Either, really.

Rico fixed the house, didn’t take a fee, helped the family get $40k or more from the insurance company and got a bunch of materials donated. The couple seemed nice, but yikes, their previous two years were horrible. Rico’s team made them a nice indoor/outdoor set up, additional bathroom and a lovely bedroom for the two young daughters. But did I see just one bed? 

Idiot Jerry couldn’t even measure the custom doors correctly! Rico reframed it all and I was relieved not to have to hear about the need for a steel beam.

I was wondering about the bed situation for the daughters too.  Yes, it seemed to be only one bed, and it looked like a double bed, not even a queen.  So, I guess they're going to be sharing?   Either way that's going to be one crowded bedroom for the girls.   That's a pretty small house.   I missed the first few minutes, and I couldn't figure out what the back wall of the yard was?   It had a door in it.  

Soapy Goddess made a good point about a simple online search for contractor's license, or just search on his name for reviews from previous customers would have told them a lot.   

I was amazed that Jerry would appear on national TV, and claim all of the issues, such as going to prison, terminal illness, other surgeries and ailments.    I'm glad there were so many donations, and the couple did get $40,000 back, but paying that contractor over and over was insane.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
(edited)

I'm watching the rerun of the Scofield project.   I still can't believe she tried to cancel the bedrooms for the daughters, so she could get exactly what she wanted for the gigantic main suite.  I'm so glad Rico stepped in and completed the daughters' bedrooms.   

I noticed at the very beginning she said something about if the bedrooms for the daughters weren't better, that they wouldn't want to come over.  I'm wondering if they were from a previous marriage, and lived elsewhere most of the time?    Maybe that was her way of getting the girls out of the house? 

This was such a strange episode.   I was totally on the contractors' side after watching the entire episode.  

I saw the rerun of the couple with the addition, where the wife was from Ukraine.   She really did demand that the daughters not only share a room, but the same bed.     She reminisced about growing up like that with her sister, and they also shared the bedroom with the parents.    I don't see the attraction of recreating Soviet bloc housing.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
(edited)
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

completed the daughters' bedrooms.   This was such a strange episode. 

Amen. I missed the beginning when it first ran, so I missed seeing a longer-haired unhappiest woman in the world. Her new ‘do was more flattering, but her not-nice nature seems to come through loud and clear. Least likable homeowner I’ve seen on this show—and many others.

ETA: I felt bad for their contractors. That never happens!

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 1
(edited)

Last night's episode about the house with water and mold issues wasn't interesting to me.  Everything was so flat.    The young son went to wash his hands, left the bathroom sink running, with the drain stopper in, and it overflowed and soaked the basement.     The wife blamed it on not having an overflow drain in the sink, but that small overflow isn't going to handle the sink going full blast.  

Everything was so low key..    The family was so passive about everything.  When Poonam showed the couple the selections for finishes, flooring, etc. the could were still not enthusiastic, even when she told them how many donations were being received.   

The only high note was the husband was a construction worker, and did a lot of labor himself, so that saved a lot.  Poonam was the construction expert this time, and found asbestos as well as a lot of mold damages.   The house basement was gutted, and the main floor needed about as much work, because of the asbestos and water issues causing mold.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

Did they ever get more money from insurance?  It sounded like some of the problem was in the bathroom where the remediation team didn’t do a thorough job.  But it also sounded like some of the issues didn’t have anything to do with the leak.  Like the roof, piping and plumbing.  And replacing sewer lines. Asbestos.  I don’t see how insurance would be on the hook for that.  Or did the mold travel to every spot in the house, so the whole place had to be rebuilt?  

Also, I thought it was weird that they said they moved into 30 places in the past 18 months.  They must have a lot of friends with spare rooms to accommodate a couple with 3 small kids.  And then the wife said something about they were currently living in a stranger’s house who they just happened to meet.  What?

I was confused most of this episode. What really happened with the leak (why would they not have immediately replaced a sink with no overflow drain when they first bought the house?—the husband was a contractor). I didn’t even know any company makes sinks with no overflow, makes no sense.

I did figure out why all of the reveals look so similar to me.  They seem to use the same products on each project.  I noticed so many brand placement labels that I’ve seen in other episodes.

• Like 2
(edited)

The insurance did pay for some additional things, like the roof leak issues, but the amount wasn't discussed.   However, asbestos removal wouldn't be covered by insurance, lead paint (I don't remember that being mentioned as present in the house), and water intrusion in the basement wouldn't be covered either.    

I don't think there is anyway that the initial water damages caused anything but the small amount of mold in the bathroom that was directly under the first floor bathroom sink that overflowed.   That water must have been overflowing in the first floor bath for many hours too. 

Most of the basement mold was obviously not from the bathroom sink overflowing, except right under the leak.   The drains being blocked and collapsed was from roots, and the drains were the old terracotta/clay pipes, and collapsed from age, also not covered by homeowners insurance. 

Rico did say the water in the basement was probably from water leaks from outside, since it was throughout the basement. 

My guess is everyone that the homeowners and three kids stayed with were their church members, including the last home that the woman who didn't know them let them stay at for months.      

I'm guessing that the homeowners were desperate to get a house.    I bet in the super competitive Colorado market, I'm thinking they either didn't have inspections to be more competitive, or had a bad inspector.   Considering the age of the house, I wasn't surprised by anything they discovered that was wrong, or needed remediation. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Between the asbestos and lead paint, it’s a good bet they hadn’t used a home inspector. Always hire a home inspector. The finished reveal was okay, but clearly that budget wasn’t enough to create the usual look and major pieces were donated.

Nothing wrong with that, perhaps it’s the answer to folks who’ve asked why HGTV designers can’t give up high-end finishes to afford more projects. Rico & Co. did. Family was happy. ((Freakin’ thrilled to have their own house.)

(edited)

WIth last weeks episode, the mold house from water, many of the issues with the house were pre-existing.  Asbestos, plumbing, water in the basement, I bet electrical was original too.   I can see why the insurance company was refusing to pay more out for problems that weren't from the water overflow.    There is no way the sink overflowed and flooded that much unless the water was left on for hours, and it was because the kid left the drain plug in too.  

From Ex to Extra, new.   So, she moved some random guy in pretty fast, and he turned out to be a prepper, and end of the world guy.    I'm hoping this isn't an hour long ad for the homeowner's musical career.     Who just gives the contractor boyfriend their credit card, and is shocked that it goes wrong.   And who moves a very new boyfriend in the house with her 14-year-old daughter?  At least the boyfriend just took the money and ran to Mexico, this could have turned out much worse.    (I lived in Colorado Springs quite a few years ago, and there were several criminal cases that made me worry for the woman and her daughter.   I'm glad this one turned out so well, because only money was lost and nothing more).

I'm guessing since her budget is $25,000, and Rico and Poonam say it will be $75,000, I'm guessing that a lot of donations will be solicited. 

This episode is leaving me cold too, just like the people from last week who had the house flood.     I really don't feel sorry for either set of homeowners.    

When you're short on budget, why go for high end finishes?    Granite counter tops are not necessary to live.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

Granite counter tops are not necessary to live.   

Amen. WTAH—so it looks good on TV?  Doesn’t seem to make the homes on Home Town suck because Erin goes with a laminate. Or homemade butcher block. Because that’s WHAT THE BUDGET ALLOWS! 

• Like 2
(edited)

Butcher block is actually not that expensive. It's currently $149 for a 4' x 8' slab at the big-box hardware store that is my workplace's client. I work on their ads.

I do agree about granite, though. It's not a necessity.

I'm a child-hating shrew, so I wasn't thrilled that the aerospace engineer and stay-at-home mother with FIVE KIDS got their materials donated to them. Like, I get they got scammed by their former contractor, but they have enough money for five kids and the mom to not work. They can afford their renovations.

I remain surprised yet not that there are this many scammy contractors just in the Denver area alone.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 1