Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Second Chance

Trini
  • Start Topic

McCall and Dante's relationship is tested when a conman (Berto Colon) the NYPD has been building a years-long case against kidnaps a relative of McCall's client and forces him to assist in a heist in order to save them.

Airdate: February 26, 2023

Christian Alexander Rozakis as Hasan
119333_8478b.jpg

Berto Colon as Conman Randall Grayle
Thomas Canestraro as Nicky
Jason Hanna as Mitch
Jevon Donaldson as Shawn

This episode wasn't that bad, it was pretty good up until the end when some incredibly improbable things happened just to create dramatic tension. Mel beats up the trained SAS fighter in 4 seconds, but can't beat some Computer Nerd she had just beaten in 4 seconds, earlier in the episode. What happened between then and now, did that Computer Nerd drink some "Bane" juice, since he kicked Mel's butt all up and down that shipping container. Why is Dante the only cop that shows up to arrest Randall, he was working with at least 3 other cops the entire day. I guess Dante told them to "take the rest of the night off, me and my best friend can take it from here". Why is Dante mad at Robyn, she told him an hour before that she wouldn't be able to get there in time. I blame Dante for not having "any" police backup. Randall was going to shoot Hasan for being one second late at opening the safe, yet he has a long fight and still had time to get away.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Why is Dante the only cop that shows up to arrest Randall, he was working with at least 3 other cops the entire day. I guess Dante told them to "take the rest of the night off, me and my best friend can take it from here". Why is Dante mad at Robyn, she told him an hour before that she wouldn't be able to get there in time. I blame Dante for not having "any" police backup. Randall was going to shoot Hasan for being one second late at opening the safe, yet he has a long fight and still had time to get away.

And why is a cop unconcerned about a kidnapping with a murder threat just to close some other cold case?

• Like 5

Yes, to all the points made about Dante and the police.  He went in alone with sirens wailing.  That made no sense at all.  If they were so intent on catching a cop killer, seems like they would have had that place surrounded and come in silent.

And yes, good on Aunt Vi.

• Like 4

Which is worse big Robyn getting in a fast disabling hit before the bad guy reacts or tiny Mel surviving extended fights when her initial move fails? At least with the ex SAS trooper, (how long was he locked in there anyway?) he was stunned by the flash bang grenade and choked out before he could regain his senses 

5 hours ago, Raja said:

Which is worse big Robyn getting in a fast disabling hit before the bad guy reacts or tiny Mel surviving extended fights when her initial move fails?

I actually thought Mel's takedown of multiple men twice her size in hand to hand combat last week was worse.  At least this week, she mostly used the element of surprise/distraction to take men down, and it made some sense to me that NotHarry gave her some trouble because he came at her directly and she was somewhat distracted. 

Just when I complained about Latifah's fight choreography, this week I didn't find it so bad. Probably because it was brief. 

Of all the contrivances, I thought it was absurdly hilarious that Dante was running Randall down, but was still close enough to hear Mel yell out in pain, double back, and shoot NotHarry within seconds.   

I've read at least two articles in the past year about the racial discrimination in homeowner appraisals, so interesting that it was the B plot of the episode.  Aunt Vi was very clever in her handling of it.  I assumed she would wait until he left, and then report him.  And thanks to TV magic, the boss showed up just in time!

Berto Colon's fine ass should be in more things, and not just as a stereotypical criminal.  Although I do appreciate a potential return cameo for the future.

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Like 4

I enjoyed the episode for the most part, but didn't really understand the need to create tension between Robyn and Dante.

On 2/26/2023 at 2:44 PM, AnimeMania said:

Why is Dante the only cop that shows up to arrest Randall, he was working with at least 3 other cops the entire day. I guess Dante told them to "take the rest of the night off, me and my best friend can take it from here". Why is Dante mad at Robyn, she told him an hour before that she wouldn't be able to get there in time. I blame Dante for not having "any" police backup. 

This.  Dante is all mad that Robyn didn't appear, even though she told him she wouldn't make it. Dante is all mad that he had to go and save Mel which allowed Randall to get away, even though he is the one that didn't bother to bring any other cops with him.  Why was it so important for him to sneak away from the surveillance van without letting the lady in there with him know what he was doing?  He very pointedly made sure to not tell her anything.

I also didn't understand why Dante wouldn't care at all about Robyn trying to rescue the brother.  Robyn wanted to save the brother as well as help to take down Randall.  Dante seemed hellbent on capturing Randall and didn't seem to care at all that the brother might be sacrificed.  If the operation to take down Randall was so important and so big, surely there would be more people assigned to the case than just Dante.

Question, the older couple that Vi and Dee were playing bridge with... is that the same couple that was cheating before all the time, and then Dee and Vi busted them?  If so, hah!  Because Vi very pointedly made it clear that she and Dee were kicking their butts.

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 4
13 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Question, the older couple that Vi and Dee were playing bridge with... is that the same couple that was cheating before all the time, and then Dee and Vi busted them?  If so, hah!  Because Vi very pointedly made it clear that she and Dee were kicking their butts.

Yes, same couple.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I enjoyed the episode for the most part, but didn't really understand the need to create tension between Robyn and Dante.

They're going to 'slow burn' this relationship to death, I fear. *sigh*  And I was thinking they were finally getting close to an official first date!

Agree with all the nitpicks with the police side of this week's case already mentioned. I assume we'll see that thief again a some point; but it's silly that he got away in the first place.

Loved Aunt Vi 'equalizing' in the B-plot!

Mel always has nice jackets, but the fashion standout for me was Aunt Vi's breakfast outfit at the start of the episode.

• Like 4