Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Get Out and Push

Mr. Sparkle
  • Start Topic

This show is by no means a work of art but it is all kinds of empty calories fun.  I really enjoy the way everything that was trying to kill them this episode got fixed piece by piece.     A the asteroid that was first trying to kill them became a comet that they mined for water.  

What I also find interesting is that a fair number of passengers are just that….passengers who aren’t soldiers, pilots, engineers or whatever and gave no interest in helping fly the ship or save lives so they rob the median because why the hell not?

Edited by Chaos Theory

Welp I was wrong about who spit on notJasper, so I guess I owe them one more episode.

Besides, this one was just as stupid as all the others, but slightly more entertaining. In fact, I readily admit that the water mining segment held my interest.

That was pretty bad.  Watching them turn the Ark 1 on a dime was ridiculous.

The whole tether supporting the mass of the Ark 1 connecting to the shuttle connecting to the comet was pretty ridiculous too.

Does no one have a telescope on Ark 1 ?  How come no one noticed before it was 2 hours away that it was a comet.

Who was watching Lt. Lane ?  There was that 1 camera view from over the shoulder of Lane watching the Garnet video on a tablet that had the phrases "Fried", "Ark103_372_030_v002", "07/09/22", "Ark103_372_030_v002", and "1010". Where was that camera even located ? In the wall of the bed -- and who was watching/recording it ?

• Like 1

If I had the choice between getting blown up by an asteroid and slowly dying of thirst over 4 days, I think I'd pick the asteroid. Seriously, you'd think a mission like this would have suicide capsules on board or something. But hey, I guess it is good they didn't give up.

I want to know how they collected weeks of water for over a hundred people in what seemed like 5 minutes.

The comment about not letting couples on board because of genetic diversity makes no sense. Not letting family members on board makes sense. But most couples are not related so that should not be an issue. Unless 100 years in the future or whenever this is supposed to take place incest is now a thing?

Now I can think of other reasons to not let couples on board together, so maybe influencer-psychology lady is just dumb?

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Like 4

I was reminded of the Star Trek: TNG episode wherein Pulaski told some colonists that to get the best genetic diversity each woman should have a kid with at least three men. Maybe they don’t want married couples for that reason?

They haven’t come up with sonic showers or whatever?

I’m assuming they purified the comet water before drinking it straight out of the hose.

I liked this episode better than the last too. I liked Cat’s reveal that she had secrets too. The character’s are becoming a tiny bit more likeable.

Edited by marinw

It'd be nice if the writers could at least do some minimal research so that things are not completely wrong.

That is not how comets work at all. They did not appear to be near a star, and comet tails only exist near a star. Comet tails do not extend behind the comet's direction of travel but are caused by solar radiation and extend away from the star.

Otherwise, this was a more entertaining episode. For me, because the characters were not completely evil and hateful.

So the Scottish guy has some sort of medical issue he’s hiding, right? 

The babbling girl needs to be thrown out the airlock. The actress seems cute and lovely, but I can’t stand the character. And her attempt at the accent is terrible and super distracting. 

What the hell was the blonde lady on about during her discussion with the grieving scarf engineer lady? The engineer was talking about it being stupid that she had to hide her relationship with her team member boyfriend, and the blonde lady was talking about the rules existing for genetic diversity/so family members would be separated. Whut? Dead boyfriend wasn’t engineer scarf lady’s brother so I don’t know what the fuck blonde lady was talking about there. That conversation made no sense to me???

If I was unable to shower for an indeterminate amount of time, I would definitely be considering cutting off all my hair. Lt. Long Curls, in particular, would have a frizzy nightmare on her hands. No way she would still have defined curls at this point LOL.

I wish the actress playing Lt. Long Curls was more compelling. I think the character seems sort of interesting, but I don’t get much from the actress.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

If I was unable to shower for an indeterminate amount of time, I would definitely be considering cutting off all my hair. Lt. Long Curls, in particular, would have a frizzy nightmare on her hands. No way she would still have defined curls at this point LOL.

Many Female Astronauts IRL have long hair, which I never understood. Even on The Expanse, which made a point of realism, most of the women had long hair even though water was an issue. They had to wear it up so it didn’t float around in the low gravity.

Edited by marinw
On 2/16/2023 at 5:08 PM, KaveDweller said:

I want to know how they collected weeks of water for over a hundred people in what seemed like 5 minutes.

I think that as a closed system, until the next leak out into space the water will be reclaimed after the human body and ship's functions waste it. They just no longer worry about the shy kid dying because a big bully or the engine took the available water on hand before the waste was reclaimed and he got properly hydrated.

My nit pick was the pilot, who transferred to navigator as if we are playing Luke Skywalker fantasy. That mission would be in no way eyeballed as we expected in 1950s SF, or The Force. The computer would handle all aspects of the intercept  with the navigator being there mostly to fix some problem the shuttle developed again.

And we end with another scene that is making me think Lt Garnett is an android, super soldier or something.

On 2/15/2023 at 8:15 PM, Chaos Theory said:

What I also find interesting is that a fair number of passengers are just that….passengers who aren’t soldiers, pilots, engineers or whatever and gave no interest in helping fly the ship or save lives so they rob the median because why the hell not?

As the advanced force for colony ships they do seem to be lacking in builders and farmers, perhaps they are just breeding stock nominated by various interest groups to keep their community and cultures alive in the new world.

34 minutes ago, Raja said:

As the advanced force for colony ships they do seem to be lacking in builders and farmers, perhaps they are just breeding stock nominated by various interest groups to keep their community and cultures alive in the new world.

If you want to be literal the ship is called “The Ark” as in Noah’s Ark and my bible studies were decades ago but from what I remember his Ark was basically each variety animal male and female so that they could repopulate the earth after God flooded the earth after a tantrum.  So naming the ship Ark One could just be a literal attempt to repopulate a planet on the other side of the universe.    I mean it explains why they don’t want more than one person of a bloodline on the ship.  The married couple thing also kinda makes sense because if population is your game plan the last thing you want is monogamy.   So in theory the plan makes sense.  

You know before everything goes sideways 

Edited by Chaos Theory
On 2/27/2023 at 10:58 AM, Raja said:

I think that as a closed system, until the next leak out into space the water will be reclaimed after the human body and ship's functions waste it. They just no longer worry about the shy kid dying because a big bully or the engine took the available water on hand before the waste was reclaimed and he got properly hydrated.

My nit pick was the pilot, who transferred to navigator as if we are playing Luke Skywalker fantasy. That mission would be in no way eyeballed as we expected in 1950s SF, or The Force. The computer would handle all aspects of the intercept  with the navigator being there mostly to fix some problem the shuttle developed again.

And we end with another scene that is making me think Lt Garnett is an android, super soldier or something.

The thing with the water reuse doesn't seem resolved though, because I thought they didn't get the water recycling system up and running at 100%? Did I miss them figuring that out? Seems like they should still be worried.

Maybe all the builders and farmers are the ones that died?

On 2/27/2023 at 11:12 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I mean it explains why they don’t want more than one person of a bloodline on the ship.  The married couple thing also kinda makes sense because if population is your game plan the last thing you want is monogamy.   So in theory the plan makes sense.  

So, they want people having kids with multiple people, so that they are half siblings instead of full siblings and can have kids with each other?