Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: This Will Be Us

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Just finished ep one and I really like it. I read the first of the Lockwood books and wasn't really into them despite adoring Jonathan Straud's Bartemeus series. But I thought I'd give the show a go and I find that in action the characters are a lot more likable. Lockwood comes off much more awkward which makes him more likable than he was in for me in the book which makes the entire thing more fun. Nice mix of action with the supernatural elements, an interesting world of magic. I'm going to keep going but so far I'm very pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I read the first of the Lockwood books and wasn't really into them and wasn't really into them despite adoring Jonathan Straud's Bartemeus series. But I thought I'd give the show a go and I find that in action the characters are a lot more likable.

I felt the same. I liked the world and the writing but didn't really connect with the characters and still haven't picked up the second book. They did a great job casting the 3 leads who are appealing individually but also have nice chemistry with each other. I was particularly impressed after learning that this is Cameron Chapman's (Lockwood) first onscreen role.

It's been a while since I read the book, so I'd forgotten how horrifyingly callous all the adults are. The scenes with Lucy's mother were especially upsetting.

I'll definitely keep watching and am looking forward to seeing Luke Treadaway show up.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I was particularly impressed after learning that this is Cameron Chapman's (Lockwood) first onscreen role.

I didn't realize that. He is doing an excellent job. I could see him having a long career, he's very charismatic, which is what is needed for a role like Lockwood, who could be very unlikable with the wrong actor. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Not sure why, but I decided to watch the first episode.  It seems geared toward the young adult segment, and also is a bit dark, so I shouldn't have given it a second glance.  But I'm glad I watched, as I found it interesting.

I'd be interested in knowing more about the background of the story.  Are ghosts only bothering the UK?  It seems no one knows why they suddenly started popping up and with the power to actually harm the living through a mere touch.  What's the point of having a curfew if the ghosts can simply come into a home at will?  When a ghost is cut up with one of the swords or pelted with salt, do they reappear later or are they gone for good?  Could you keep someone from coming back as a ghost if you incinerate the body and mix the ashes with salt before burying them in a lead container?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Zahdii said:

When a ghost is cut up with one of the swords or pelted with salt, do they reappear later or are they gone for good?

It is only a temporary measure and you have to find the thing the ghost is attached to to get rid of it. This suggests that ghost have a limited area that they can haunt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing that stands out to me is the world building. There isn't a ton of exposition but the first episode manages to convey that something is very amiss. 

I found the first episode did a great job of starting things off with a ... Bang. And yes, the adults are horrible people in this episode. 

All in all I think the first episode is a very promising start!

• Like 4

Finally getting around to watching this.  I liked the first episode. I agree that it did a descent job of world building organically.

But even if the show hadn't drawn me, I'd be here for the soundtrack.