Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Night Shift

shantown
  • Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

so can one use superglue for quick closing wounds? and is it sanitary or could one get a nice infection?

Yes. But the medical-grade superglue works better, and sometimes stitches are better, or at least a combination of glue and a splint to immobilize an involved joint. I don’t know the odds on Charlie having died of infection from her bullet wound since it seemed pretty deep. Likewise with Jed’s knife wound.
See also:
mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/should-super-glue-be-in-your-first-aid-kit 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. But the medical-grade superglue works better, and sometimes stitches are better, or at least a combination of glue and a splint to immobilize an involved joint. I don’t know the odds on Charlie having died of infection from her bullet wound since it seemed pretty deep. Likewise with Jed’s knife wound.
See also:
mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/should-super-glue-be-in-your-first-aid-kit 

I'd be worried that I'd glue my fingers to my wound. that'd be my luck.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, Colorado David said:

o can one use superglue for quick closing wounds? and is it sanitary or could one get a nice infection?

Yes, you can absolutely use it for closing wounds. I'm not sure how well it would work on a week old gun shot wound, but it works for small cuts.

• Like 2
On 1/27/2023 at 6:21 PM, shapeshifter said:

Excellent casting with the infinitely likable Brandon Micheal Hall as poor Damian. He was equally suited to the starring role in the series God Friended Me.

I was really glad to see him. I keep waiting for him to blow up - he’s had some leading roles in short-lived shows and he’s great. I think he’s so charming.

• Like 6
On 1/29/2023 at 8:54 AM, Paloma said:

She clearly doesn't carry a lot of cash (unless it is very well hidden in the car), and I'm not sure she has all that much in her account, given that the money she made in the past from gambling seemed to be long gone, and she was living in a crummy trailer in the Las Vegas desert. She has to be able to get short-term jobs that pay cash as she travels, which may not be as easy these days as it used to be. She can only provide minimal personal information, and she can't even give references to show she is honest and reliable. In future episodes I'd like to see at least an occasional reference to this problem and how she deals with it.

Bolding is mine.

I've read comparisons to older shows like The Fugitive, and I can see that. In the 60s there were a few shows about people who, for one reason or another, travelled across the country, getting short-term jobs for income (off the top of my head: Run for Your Life, Route 66, The Invaders, Then Came Bronson). I started thinking about how apparently easy it was for someone to pick up a short-term or temporary job, probably for low pay back then. No security checks, paid in cash, and so on. Even my first jobs had pretty basic job applications with little background info needed. Now it seems like even a low-level job requires background checks. 

• Like 2
On 6/15/2023 at 9:26 AM, KittyQ said:

Bolding is mine.

I've read comparisons to older shows like The Fugitive, and I can see that. In the 60s there were a few shows about people who, for one reason or another, travelled across the country, getting short-term jobs for income (off the top of my head: Run for Your Life, Route 66, The Invaders, Then Came Bronson). I started thinking about how apparently easy it was for someone to pick up a short-term or temporary job, probably for low pay back then. No security checks, paid in cash, and so on. Even my first jobs had pretty basic job applications with little background info needed. Now it seems like even a low-level job requires background checks. 

I think about that every so often. It used to be possible to just move somewhere with a made-up name and start a new life. No forged papers needed. Certainly in the 1960s, but even more so farther back when there were no databases at all. You were who you said you were. You could live a life with cash, because cash/trade was literally all there was! There are under-the-table jobs and ways to live off the grid today but there are serious limitations to what you can do without credit and a verifiable identity. Especially if you don't start with a stockpile of cash.

Sandwich guy had good instincts about the killer -- he was a lot more dangerous than he seemed at first glance. Dude didn't even blink before shoving him off the roof.

On 1/26/2023 at 4:03 AM, AnimeMania said:

John Ratzenberger as Abe, a New Mexico car mechanic
Hong Chau as Marge, a long-haul trucker
Ineke Garbacz as Bartender
Jaswant Shrestha as Arvind
Megan Suri as Sara
Colton Ryan as Jed

Who was the blond waitress, the sardonic one?

She looked like McKenzie Davis.

On 1/27/2023 at 6:21 PM, shapeshifter said:

Excellent casting with the infinitely likable Brandon Micheal Hall as poor Damian. He was equally suited to the starring role in the series God Friended Me.

I floved that the Shockingly Honest Mechanic noticed, fixed, and figured out the whole evil brake line cutting plot. 
And more great casting with John Ratzenberger (Cliff from Cheers).

Does anyone know who sang the opening song? It reminded me of T Bone Burnett‘s intro music in True Detective.

This show is so much more engaging than the also-new show about a quirky Sherlock Holmes type: ABC’s Will Trent.  
Poker Face doesn’t shy away from evil or violence, but so far it hasn’t felt gratuitous like Will Trent.  
And the characters in Poker Face are mostly tolerable.

Shapeshifter, I’m still trying to get you back to Will Trent. Come on!  
Anyway, I’m late to finishing this season. Perhaps you or someone else can explain something. Did Marge pull the body out of the truck?  I’m just baffled. 

On 1/29/2023 at 10:42 AM, gesundheit said:

That's the glory of it -- minimal commitment for only one episode, but they get to work on a fun show with major players (it's clear working with Rian Johnson is major right now so he can probably get whoever he wants, plus Lyonne is pretty universally beloved as a colleague). And since it's single-episode story arcs, they actually get meaty material for their one-time appearance. Win/win. Can't wait to see who else is on board!

Columbo always did the same. Top guest stars. Elsbeth is doing it now also. 

• Like 1