Type keyword(s) to search

Deputy Parrish: Hearts afire

Admittedly Phoenix is kind of a lame superpower -- right up there with Heart and Aquaman -- although it does nicely lend itself to repeated instances of "let's burn off his clothes". Teen Wolf is often shallow but it's always the right kind of shallow.

• Love 1

I'm thinking Phoenix as well.  And I'm sure that no matter what, JD will make his "powers" interesting, whether he goes with traditional or adds some ideas of his own.

And Yes! to the burning off clothing on a regular basis.

• Love 1
And Yes! to the burning off clothing on a regular basis.

I say give him a fire power he has trouble controlling, then every episode have him like: Whoosh! "Not again!"

And outside of Teen Wolf, Ryan Kelley needs to play Kyle Reese in a Terminator sequel/reboot like now.

• Love 2

I know Deputy Parrish is a darling of Tumblr, but i don't have any interest in him so far. I'd like to see him in his life outside being a deputy - I feel like it would add some much-needed layers to his character.

People are suggesting that he could be a fire kitsune, because of his orange eyes matching Kira`s orange glowing eyes. Honestly, I could believe it. It does actually make more sense than a phoenix, because phoenixes are reborn, but when Parrish was set on fire, I don`t think he was actually reborn. 

• Love 1

I kind of like the idea of a fire kitsune.  Since Kira's mother is kind of fading out of her kitsune powers, it would be interesting to have a different kind of kitsune around.  But I would welcome a chance to bring in a totally new supernatural creature.  I read up a bit on Phoenix powers and certain mythology has them being able to survive any type of death (immortal) and then being reborn through fire after at least 500 years.  This could work with Parrish surviving the fire, but not regenerating.  The Phoenix is also considered a protector and if asked properly, it can grant requests / wishes.  They are also protectors, which is in keeping with Parrish being a peace/police officer.  In some cultures, they can also have a dark side if pushed, but they are generally benevolent creatures that are there to help and protect.

Also, in the Marvel Universe, the X-Men character of Jean Grey is also considered a "Phoenix" (after her run in with the Phoenix Force).  So more interpretations.

I'll try to find the link where I saw these more interesting descriptions of the Phoenix.

Because I really am avoiding work, the CGI for the eyes seems different to the variety of solid effects used so far on irises. Looks more fire-y and particle-generator-y than the kitsune eyes I could google up.

I like the idea of fire kitsune but mostly because it might mean Davies will circle back around to Kira and her powers. 

If he is a phoenix I wont be surprised if they stick with the healing aspect, he heals Derek in the finale and next season there's a DEM in residence for whenever the show wants the drama of killing off one of the characters without having to commit to it.  

It's really weird with kitsune on this show, because it (IIRC) never truly acknowledged their primary, most signature power - shapeshifting. So I don't see the point of speculating about Parrish's connection to them, because he could be basically anything at this point, with his powers being only tangentially related to the name of his species.

I'd love to see more creatures from Asian mythology, though. 3B was a breath of fresh air. 

Edited by FurryFury

I'd hoped that Kate's transformation and the setting of the season premiere meant we'd get a similar look into Mesoamerican folklore. But the show has missed the chance to explore anything along those lines; at best we'll get a big infodump in the finale just before the climactic fight.

I could not believe that Ryan Kelley is the same guy that was the pretty little twink in Prayers for Bobby. Geez. Does he suck down Creatine every day?

I'm with the idea he's a Phoenix as well.

Edited by methodwriter85