Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Read-a-Thon

• Start Topic

I had never heard of Joe Budden before this episode, and I Googled him while watching.  I just listened/watched a few minutes of an episode, and there was a lot of dead air, with the host and four guests slouching on sofas and BS'ing for a surprisingly long time before getting to the topics.  I'm sure the audience likes it.  In a real radio show, it would have to be more tightly edited, but the podcast format allows for unedited live content of any length.  There is liberal use of the N word.  Obviously, I'm not the intended audience for Joe Budden, but so it is.   I fast forwarded and listened to Joe Budden tell a story about his holiday trip to the DR.  It was a raunchy tale.  It's story telling also, to be fair.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Yeah, boys the age of those in Jacob's class would probably gravitate to a personality like Budden.  It would be interesting if the show kept up with the podcast idea to see who girls that age would gravitate toward.  I have no idea as I am not around kids that age anymore and most especially girls (I have two sons so I am more tuned into what male children/young men would gravitate toward).  Also  am not a podcast listener very much. 

Like most people I was riveted by Serial.  But besides that the only podcast I ever listened to regularly was Denzel Washington Is The Greatest Actor Of All Time Period podcast.  I loved that one, the format was great and it was often so informative and funny.

And pulling this back to AE, so far we've had the step show and now the podcast and teacher involved extra-curriculars with the students.  I hope they do more.   Have they put on a school play yet?  That would be cool to see.

• Like 4
On 1/5/2023 at 12:23 PM, dmmetler said:

Split grade classes in my district were still the same size, or sometimes smaller, so counting the same number of kids makes sense, and since books get a lot longer when you move from picture books to chapter books, Melissa's 3rd graders don't get an advantage unless they're being allowed to count books below their current reading level.

I really didn't understand how it would be fair even before they combined the count of the 2 grades.  Prior to the pink eye, were there the exact same # of 2nd graders in both classes? 

On 1/10/2023 at 12:26 PM, DearEvette said:

boys the age of those in Jacob's class would probably gravitate to a personality like Budden.

If this episode had been just 22 minutes of Black folks mocking white podcasts ("Those nerds speak like a bow tie came to life"), it would have been my favorite Abbott Elementary episode of all time.

the only podcast I ever listened to regularly was Denzel Washington Is The Greatest Actor Of All Time Period podcast

God, I miss that podcast. I'm glad I downloaded most of its episodes before the Denzealots had to pay to hear the entire run. Aside from the occasional guest I preferred to skip (Michael Rapaport), the guests W. Kamau Bell and Kevin Avery chopped it up with were always great. The funniest episode was the one where Malcolm Barrett repeatedly did an impression of Terrence Howard in Iron Man, and the most insightful episode was the one where Baron Vaughn discussed Fences.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
On 1/9/2023 at 1:52 PM, Empress1 said:

Scholastic Book Club was MY SHIT. 

1000%!!  Read-a-thons were my JAM.  I’ve always loved to read and now it’s so much fun to read to my daughter and see how much she is starting to love books as well.  I loved this episode.  Melissa was so wonderful with Mya.  She was also sensitive with the parents.  I thought it was well done how at first the parents were all “we’re killing it” but then their tune changed and they quickly became defensive.  I think that could be a normal initial reaction, but hopefully they will come around.

I didn’t like the loophole that let Melissa win though.  I thought this contest was for second graders?  The third graders shouldn’t count just because they are all in the same classroom.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:43 PM, kathyk24 said:

Who is Joe Budden?

“I think he actually pronounces it Biden.”  LMAO.  Oh Jacob.  Ava has also been on point this whole season.  Great episode.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

1000%!!  Read-a-thons were my JAM.  I’ve always loved to read and now it’s so much fun to read to my daughter and see how much she is starting to love books as well. 

I've worked at both a library and a bookstore, and one of my favorite things about working at both places was seeing kids getting into reading books as well :). And it was especially cool if they were reading books that I remember reading when I was a kid. Just nice to know the classics still hold up :D. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
On 1/5/2023 at 10:17 AM, SHD said:

Ava's favorite club was shut down because they let a horse in? LOL

Watched last night. GF and I weren't sure if we really wanted the story behind this, or if we should be afraid of the story behind this!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I didn't realize Barbara said "Colin Powell" - I heard Colin Farrell.  Still the wrong Colin for the Kings Speech but at least a little closer since he is an actor.  

Also, I thought Janine did get the win - her second graders did beat Melissa's second graders.  She just lost the bet on a technicality when Melissa figured out she could combine 2nd and 3rd grade.  I didn't think that took away from the fact that Janine did get her kids to read and really challenged Melissa.  It would have been interesting to know how the numbers would have been if the 3 pink eye kids had continued to read. 

I thought they clearly showed that Janine did a fantastic job.

• Like 3