Type keyword(s) to search

Luxe For Less - General Discussion

sheetmoss
  • Start Topic

HGTV - Thurs, 8pm CT/9pm ET

About The Show

Designer Michel Smith Boyd uses clever budget hacks to help homeowners create luxurious renovations without stretching their bank accounts. Along with his creative team, Michel brings upscale design within reach to deliver beautifully overhauled spaces.

I didn't mind the  episode. The team has good interplay

It was amazing to see what they did w/the budget - and gave some helpful hints/hacks to save $ as well

• Like 1

I really love the team, but I can't help but laugh mirthfully over a $100,000 renovation budget being "less". Less than what? A new house?

(Yes, I realize everything is half a million dollars now. I'm being hyperbolic.)

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

I just watched Episode 2…was the husband supposed to work in that front office with no door? Or did he have another office elsewhere?  There is NO way they did the Reno and the furniture for $60,000.   They had a $5000 refrigerator!

• Love 1

I guess we're going to have a ginormous island in every episode. If you have the room for it, I suppose...

I did like the mostly black-and-white color scheme for this week's house. I am scared of color, but the "galaxy" look of the green veining in the island countertop was beautiful.

I thought the recessed dog bowl nook was not a good idea. That would be so hard to keep clean, and as we saw, they have two dogs that were trying to eat out of one bowl. It wasn't well planned.

S2 E1, the Rock the Block winners meet Poor Man's Matt Damon and his artist wife. $70K budget for a whole lotta house.

Well, there are worse shows on HGTV, but I have notes. I like Michel and Anthony, so that helps. Kai? Not so much. "How could you make food for your family on a 4-burner electric stove?!" STFU, Kai.

Laura? I FF through the team building exercise because they can knock that crap off. (Good times for people who enjoyed Michel in that t-shirt.)

The house? Not for me (modern farmhouse *yawn*), but it was well put together. Even that crazy horse wallpaper worked. I'm trying to figure out what that range hood looked like irl because I'm guessing you could tell.

The kitchen was nice (even though they used the de rigueur veiny quartz). Aside: Five years ago, or more, the countertop guy showed me that and said it was new but super popular. I shoulda known (didn't get it).

Again, things looked 'k on TV, but I wonder. I liked somebody's granny, the scarf girl. Her face was priceless when Anthony said he was a scarf girl, too.

Will probably record for awhile so I can FF through the waste-of-time moments. I've liked Anthony since PR. And there are worse shows (e.g., flipping couple, nutty twins).

• Like 1

Aside from the kitchen (and Michel's suit), I was very disappointed by the big reveal. The dining and living rooms looked so dark that they seemed smaller. That didn't make any sense to me since the owners had said they had whitewashed the brick of the fireplace because they wanted the family room to look lighter. So it would seem that light and airy was the overall look they wanted. The family room turned out bright but also looked very impersonal. I actually preferred the room before. Plus, I'm over shiplap as fireplace trim or any othe trim. It's just going to become another feature that will date a home. I also didn't like the minimal amount of art on the walls. However, the home owners and everybody else seemed happy - so maybe you just had to be there.

Speaking of features that will date a home - when I moved to my current home a little over 20 years ago, I watched HGTV religiously for ideas. And I never got one idea that I could use. Good thing because when I started to watch it again a few years ago they were disparaging all the ideas they had been promoting. 10, 15 years from now what will they be saying about today's trends? 

• Like 2