Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Outer Darkness

• Start Topic

How convenient "B" found another mother and daughter to blindly adore him.

I was worried Mary Ann was going to sign the paper for permission to marry. 

It was satisfying seeing "B" finally get busted, I want to slap his smug face. But it was frustrating seeing Jan lash out at her family. 

How long before Jan figures out that she isn't half alien and that Zeta and Zethra were a bunch of bullshit?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

How convenient "B" found another mother and daughter to blindly adore him.

Do we know if the police questioning of the "girlfriend" happened in real life? This woman was a million times more oblivious and enabling than Mary Ann, so I wonder whether Jan Broberg had her written that way to make Mary Ann look better in comparison.

If the nun who ran the school really lied to the police about Jan, I hope there were consequences for her. I can't believe she still lied after Jan told her that clearly bullshit story about not being able to go to the hospital.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

I’m hopeful that the nun will be a witness who puts B in California with Jan and testifies that he placed her in the school with a fake name. 

With Jan, I hope she learns that B had another girlfriend and another young girl. And my God I hope she learns the alien stuff is bullshit. Sadly I suspect she’s just going to get her period and then he will drop her. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

How long before Jan figures out that she isn't half alien and that Zeta and Zethra were a bunch of bullshit?

This is the thing I'm most looking forward to seeing -- how does everyone find this out, how do they react to it, and how do they deprogram her? That seems like a lot of ground to cover in the finale!

My god B is so vile. My stomach turned clear over in that scene with his brother when he said there was nothing to worry about because "she doesn't even have her period yet." His brother looked horrified, sure, but that's miles past the moment you better snitch on your brother.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
On 11/4/2022 at 4:11 AM, EdnasEdibles said:

I’m hopeful that the nun will be a witness who puts B in California with Jan and testifies that he placed her in the school with a fake name. 

With Jan, I hope she learns that B had another girlfriend and another young girl. And my God I hope she learns the alien stuff is bullshit. Sadly I suspect she’s just going to get her period and then he will drop her. 

This was a hard episode to watch. I felt badly for Jan- she's just a kid, and I can tell she misses her family and her "normal life". I feel awfully for her sisters who must be worried sick, it's a lot to go through.

B is evil through and through. Classic abuser, blaming Jan for the car accident and he being in CA violating his parole. B must be SO arrogant, does he really think he won't get caught, enrolling the girl in school and leaving the state etc. Or does he think the Brobergs will eventually sign the marriage permission? I know child marriage was much more common 50ish years ago (I had an older cousin who was married at 14 because she was pregnant, the father was 19, and her parents weren't happy but they signed the papers- this was pre WWII though), but Bob and Mary-Ann want more for Jan. Is B hoping she conceives so she can be trapped into marriage? I dont get his deal, it's as if he loves his game so much he doesnt care if he goes to prison. 

• Like 4

I cannot believe Janis Tobler said this with straight face.

“My dad is the only thing that’s standing between the United States and the Communists.”

When Jan starts questioning his narratives (Zeda & Zethra, the baby etc.), B will say something that will silence her for that time being.

When Jan pushes for something that he doesn’t want to do, B starts threatening her sisters or shifting the blame onto her parents.

These are the cycles of indoctrination and gaslighting that Bob, Mary Ann and Jan couldn’t see.

A very punchable face!!!

IMG_0101.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

I'm nervous about the finale now that I see it listed everywhere as the "Season One Finale." 

I need this to wrap up!

They might make this an anthology series, with a different case every season.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I cannot believe Janis Tobler said this with straight face.

“My dad is the only thing that’s standing between the United States and the Communists.”

I couldn't believe the nun, presumably educated since she's running a school, not only kept a straight face but BELIEVED this naive child.  I honestly thought that was the line that would alert the school authorities that there was something wrong here.  Sheesh. 

Jake Lacey is an amazing actor.  I think I would have shot him in that smug face if I'd been MaryAnn.  

• Like 2
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I feel awfully for her sisters who must be worried sick, it's a lot to go through.

And poor Jasper, a child dragged along to support his father's loathsome schemes and being used as forced child labor in the "fun place." How he must have suffered.

Agree that Lacey is an excellent actor. They all are, although I'm finding Hanks' and Pacquin's performances weak. Perhaps it's the passive ineffectual parents they play.

I do feel a brush of whitewash - Jan (and her mother?) giving the story some spins to make Jan's parents appear better than they were.

Even as sheltered as I was at 12 - 14 in the dark ages, at some point I would have questioned the entire alien construct. Jan and her family seem a bit dim. I guess she feared for her younger sisters and was protecting them.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

And poor Jasper, a child dragged along to support his father's loathsome schemes and being used as forced child labor in the "fun place." How he must have suffered.

Absolutely B was an awful human being.

• Like 1
  • Love 3