Type keyword(s) to search

S1: E07: About Last Night

JayDub1987
  • Start Topic

The events leading up to the deadly night are revealed, as is the victim, leaving Albie to clean up a giant mess. Meanwhile, several weeks later, Nicky still tries to prove that she’s good enough to headline a solo tour.

Alright. I'm watching this week's episode at it's regular time. Might as well share my thoughts as it goes for the 4 other people who are still watching this.

• Drunk estranged husband shows up and smacks Nicky. I'm gonna bet that he's who ends up getting killed. Not a big loss. If we could cull the herd of bad actors on this show, it wouldn't be a bad thing. 
  • WHOA! Wasn't expecting Gigi to make the save and be the one to kill him. That one actually kinda got a reaction out of me that wasn't an eyeroll.
  • Oh hell. So the guy who we think is dead isn't dead. There's the soap opera trope I was waiting for.
  • So help me God, if Clive got up out of his own shallow grave, I'm changing his name to Stefano Dimerra. 
  • Covering a song from the late 60s. I'm sure they will say that Albie wrote it and it'll be a hit new single. But it is nice to hear a Townes Van Zandt song getting played in 2022. 
  • Clive was the blackmailer. OK. 
  • I'm sure it'll get some blowback, but the whole flash-forward/flashback thing that followed the murder and stuff actually gives me a glimmer of hope that maybe this is actually going somewhere. They could've turned that into 2 episodes, and I would've been eager to join Clive in the great beyond. 
  • Putting the bourbon that they're advertising during the show in the show is just another move that feels...campy. 
  • Kinda humorous that they do Sarandon's hair, makeup and wardrobe in a way that makes her look a little younger, but there's just no hope for Trace. 
  • Of COURSE Albie notices the locket and makes a point to say so. 
  • Alright, we're gonna shoehorn this bourbon into every scene of the show. I guess I'm gonna have to order a bottle to find out if it's any better than the show. 
  • Holy hell, she hot him. What in the blue hell is happening and why am I still watching!? 
  • Again, thank God that we just cut through the "suspense" and went straight to Albie talking to his illegitimate daughter. I didn't need that to take 3 weeks.
  • Ok, gonna tread lightly here. The amount of editing on Gigi's photoshoot was too hyperbolic. Nobody who had ever seen her would believe that was her. I can't imagine that any editor would have done that much work on the photos. 
  • FOLKS! WE HAVE A COVER OF A SONG RECORDED IN 2020! I think that brings that grand total of songs that are anywhere close to "new" to....2. 
  • "I Love a Rainy Night" the Eddie Rabbit hit from.....1980. 
  • Felt like the last 15 minutes of the episode were just a lot of nothing. 

Alright, no new episode next week so we have 2 weeks to pick this one apart. Look forward to seeing what everyone else thought about tonight. 
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Well, I think this was the most even, writing-wise, episode of the season so far.  Took 'em long enough to get there.  Mind, it's still not great, but it was an improvement.

I'm not convinced that Clive was the blackmailer.  Seems too easy to draw that conclusion from him rambling on while exchanging gunfire with Albie about a bunch of Roman family secrets.  The guy was married into the family for at least 17-20 years, so, Lord knows, he's got to be well aware of how they operate and how Dottie controlled everything about their image and brand.

My money is on the D.A. as the blackmailer.  Because, well, that would be the soap opera trope move - Albie's best friend secretly blackmailing Dottie about killing Rosa (among other things, I'm sure), and, besides, as someone pointed out last episode, it was awfully convenient how he was able to find Cat's birth certificate, but lost the trail of that little girl at an orphanage in New Mexico.

Apart from that - Gigi being the one to kill Clive surprised me too.  I did not see that coming.  

Also, don't diss "I Love a Rainy Night" or any of the older covers.  I think they're achieving what the producers intend - which is to make viewers at home sing along with them because they're nostalgic.  At least, that's what I do when great old hits are used.  Also masks the less than stellar voices covering them.  That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.  Which is another song the show totally needs to cover one of these episodes.  Maybe the entire Roman family can sing it the night the D.A. comes to arrest them at the bar for the death of Clive.

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Love 1

1. Agree with the pleasant surprise of Gigi being the one who hit Clive and that this episode flowed better than previous ones.

2. Just how exactly, did Cat get saved from the barn? I think the previous poster might've nailed it; Albie's BFF the DA just happened to be walking by, saw the fire and saved her, going on later to blackmail Dottie.

3. I don't mind the resurecting of old songs as long as its not blatently said, "A new song by...". 

4. Knowing the age difference between Susan Sarandon and Trace Adkins makes me cringe a little during the lovey, dovey flashbacks.

5. Anyone who thinks Nikki would get a tour based on singing back up on a song in a bar has suspended all critical thinking abilities.

6. I wish they'd give Trace more to do than just stare into a fire.

7. Nikki's daughter is a brat.

• Love 2

I’ll say it, I am so tired of GiGi’s shtick.

Sure, I’ll be willing to go after Mama’s Crown as Queen of Country, but you have to know I’m “NOT like the other girls.”  

I’m gonna cover Mama’s Song and I will HATE you if you try to quote-unquote “steal” it because I am “NOT like the other girls.”

I am going to appear on a national magazine to further my career but I will CANCEL them if they do anything I don’t like because I am  “NOT like the other girls.”

You literally just committed murder or manslaughter and are lying about it to protect the Romans.  You are *exactly* the same as Dottie and Nicki and you *don’t* get to pretend you are better than they are.  You’ve never been better.

• Applause 2
  • Love 2

Well, I paused the show so I could read the e-mail that Kayla got from the magazine, in case it had anything amusing that wasn't read out loud, and it sure did.

Kayla, a professional manager, uses as her business e-mail address "kaylatuckerroman@altavista.com"

Altavista.com!!!!!  This makes her and Jerry from Parks and Rec the only people who use altavista.  And even he's probably moved on by now!  Another demerit for Kayla because she had zero idea that Gigi would hate how drastically altered her pics were and gushed about them like they were great and in any way representative of Gigi.  Does she even know Gigi?  What kind of wife is she?  Oh yeah, the kind of sleeps with her BIL.

OK sure, they show a nanosecond of Gigi parenting.  I still think her child is imaginary.

It was nice to see the return of Scott Eastwood and Colton Haynes' love child AKA Wade Stellings.  His character is obviously only there for Nicky's storylines, but he's easy on the eyes.

I was wondering if Albie would tell Nicky and Gigi that Gigi did not kill Clive, and he was still alive but Albie had to kill him.  It sure didn't sound like he told them.  At a later point, Gigi was lamenting what she had done and no one, including Albie, acknowledged that she didn't kill him.  It's possible she does know that and was lamenting having hit him in the first place and indirectly putting this all in motion (obviously Clive is the real culprit there), but I doubt it.

People would avoid a lot of problems if they accurately verified whether people are still alive or actually dead.  At least we got one episode that didn't go back to the repetitive well of Nicky and Gigi taking shots at each other like playground children.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I have been watching this show.  Why?  Well, I am not sure.  It is all too much to believe.  Like on the Dynasty redo but at least the actors are in on the Campiness of the show.  They do not take themselves seriously, unlike Monarch.

None of these people are nice and will turn on you in an instant. 

The sister rivalry is just dumb.  Gigi's wife not knowing that Gigi would totally hate the cover picture that photoshopped 100lbs off her.  And who are they kidding?  She looks nothing like the picture so why do it.  Not to mention Gigi's other half is banging her BROTHER and is now pregnant but this story line is just sitting there without any mention.  Is the actress really pregnant?  There was a shot of her in kitchen and she looked pregnant.

Nikki's daughter missing her dad and pretty much telling the close friend DA guy that her family knows something about his disappearance but is not talking.  Just why?  I am tired of shows that all the kids are adult like with years of wisdom when kids pretty much don't pay attention to much of anything not coming out of their phones.

I am only watching this because my sweet BF seems to enjoy it.  I prefer to watch reality shows where the bad guys really are awful people in real life for all to see.

JayDub1984 keep up the good reviews.  Add me to that extremely short list of watchers of this show about terrible people with no redeeming qualities.

• Love 3
On 10/31/2022 at 10:56 AM, gaPeach said:

I have been watching this show.  Why?  Well, I am not sure.  It is all too much to believe.  Like on the Dynasty redo but at least the actors are in on the Campiness of the show.  They do not take themselves seriously, unlike Monarch.

None of these people are nice and will turn on you in an instant. 

The sister rivalry is just dumb.  Gigi's wife not knowing that Gigi would totally hate the cover picture that photoshopped 100lbs off her.  And who are they kidding?  She looks nothing like the picture so why do it.  Not to mention Gigi's other half is banging her BROTHER and is now pregnant but this story line is just sitting there without any mention.  Is the actress really pregnant?  There was a shot of her in kitchen and she looked pregnant.

Nikki's daughter missing her dad and pretty much telling the close friend DA guy that her family knows something about his disappearance but is not talking.  Just why?  I am tired of shows that all the kids are adult like with years of wisdom when kids pretty much don't pay attention to much of anything not coming out of their phones.

I am only watching this because my sweet BF seems to enjoy it.  I prefer to watch reality shows where the bad guys really are awful people in real life for all to see.

JayDub1984 keep up the good reviews.  Add me to that extremely short list of watchers of this show about terrible people with no redeeming qualities.

Glad that you're enjoying my live reactions. They're kind of a fun way for me to process the lunacy of what this show is. It was odd not having an episode this week, but I'll get back at it next week. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I liked that Gigi was the one to kill Clive.  I kind of wish they hadn' t undone that.

But them not telling Gigi that she didn't kill Clive?  That's some serious psychological warfare right there.  

I'm unconvinced about Clive being the blackmailer.  She was being blackmailed for years an it isn't like Clive needed that money while mooching off he Romans.   

It amused me that the time they had Trace Adkins pull out the bourbon product placement they clearly had one marked for him to pull.   Like did they forget to reset after rehersal?  It was awkward.   Not as awkward as most of the show though so...

I also liked that they didn't keep us waiting for weeks and weeks for Albie to figure out the identity of long lost daughter.  The show did two things I kind of liked and reversed one of them so... eh...   

^ lol  I missed both the killing and the unkilling, apparently!  Of course, in this show that probably all happened while I took a sip of coffee.

I'm all in for the rest of the season, though, so please set an extra place at that table for 5.

• Love 2