Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Maniak

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

letter-c.png

It's jarring to know how much Street has changed when we see the old guy pop up again every now and then.

He's lucky no one will know he actually punched Alfaro, though, to his credit, Street was willing to take the fall this time.

I also wish I could solve all of my problems with a heart to heart and a pep talk by Hondo. Guess that's where I remind myself this is a TV show.

The episode, at least, kept my attention even if it was a bit rote and predictable. You knew it was too early in the episode for a body reveal to go smoothly and you knew, when they showed up to Odette's house that it would figure in to the main plot somehow.

Credit, though, to the show for not making Odette part of Angel Roman's plan.

As for Nischelle's storyline- I have to wonder how the LAPD couldn't make some kind of workaround to facilitate incorporating the community outreach program. Perhaps the police don't show up in uniform, if they show up at all. The issue are mental health sufferers seeing a uniformed officer, right?

Hopefully there are more legs to this story because this episode had an underwhelming ending to it.

• Love 2

Agree the ending was underwhelming but sometimes you just want no drama at the end of an epi.

I'm still not the biggest Street fan but he did show some growth this epi and it'll be interesting to see him and his former co-worker going forward.

I'm also curious about the outreach program and how this will play into Hondo and Nischelle's relationship going forward because of course it's not going to go as smooth as Hondo is trying to make it sound.

• Love 1

I have mixed feelings about Nichelle’s new job. Does she really need that extra pressure in her life, with a baby on the way and everything?

Nia throwing shade at Hondo when she heard he’s in a committed relationship and expecting a baby. Girl, don’t be so petty!

Good pep talk Deac! Of course he’s gonna be a good dad. He IS Hondo…🙄

Instead of Alfaro, I’d rather see more Rocker on my screen. Alfaro is childish.

So, it is Cabrera’s turn this week to be with 20-Squad, no Powell. Hmm…🤔

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

it is Cabrera’s turn this week to be with 20-Squad, no Powell. Hmm…🤔

...and, once again, Cabrera did nothing to stand out. As annoying as Powell is, at least she has a definable character. What does Cabrera have?

1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

True, though, in fairness, I wouldn't expect Deacon to say anything different. This won't be the first pep talk between the two for sure.

10 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Agree the ending was underwhelming but sometimes you just want no drama at the end of an epi.

The thing about Nischelle's storyline is that it ended without addressing her concerns. She was just offered a job. So either there is more to this story or the writers dropped the ball. I'm betting and hoping for the former.

• Fire 1
12 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

...and, once again, Cabrera did nothing to stand out. As annoying as Powell is, at least she has a definable character. What does Cabrera have?

Err, Cabrera has higher tendency to go rogue and disobey instructions.

What’s with this rotation of female SWAT?

3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Err, Cabrera has higher tendency to go rogue and disobey instructions.

That's Powell who has that tendency. Cabrera shares her faith with Deacon and is Latina like Christina Alonso was. I thought Cabrera had the rogue instincts but I confused her with Powell because the actresses look so similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I would not at all be surprised if Hondo asks Deacon (and Annie) to be baby girl Henderson's godparents (after clearing it with Nichelle first of course)

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

That's Powell who has that tendency. Cabrera shares her faith with Deacon and is Latina like Christina Alonso was. I thought Cabrera had the rogue instincts but I confused her with Powell because the actresses look so similar.

Yeah, yeah. Zoe Powell is the arrogant one. I got all mixed up! Both petites with dark hair. 

There’s another new recruit who graduated from the S.W.A.T. Academy and passed the selection around the same time as Zoe Powell and Alexis Cabrera. His name is Tatum. We saw him for a bit in S05•E17.

1 hour ago, transitfan said:

I would not at all be surprised if Hondo asks Deacon (and Annie) to be baby girl Henderson's godparents (after clearing it with Nichelle first of course)

The baby’s godmother could be Winnie or Briana.

Luca should be considered too, he’s good with kids and a very loyal friend.

I wonder if the baby will have “Danielle” as her middle name - Daniel + Nichelle.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Honestly it's only when I read this forum that I realize there's two of them. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, transitfan said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the S5 finale established that Luca was going to be the baby girl's godfather.

21 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Honestly it's only when I read this forum that I realize there's two of them. 

The casting department whiffed badly there. Which makes me feel bad for the actresses because they're not that bad.

• Love 2
On 10/28/2022 at 7:07 PM, Danielg342 said:

Perhaps the police don't show up in uniform, if they show up at all. The issue are mental health sufferers seeing a uniformed officer, right?

It is much more than just the uniform, though that doesn't settle ANYBODY down. Police in uniform, showing up on scene in a police cruiser, etc., stress out an already stressed person in crisis. The real problem is that police aren't generally trained in mental health crises, and respond as police officers, rather than counselors, de-escalators, peacemakers. When you're a hammer, suddenly the whole world looks like a nail. Police are trained to respond to things as "threats" not "person in crisis." Obviously there are a million nuances, but isn't just uniforms, it is a matter of training appropriate to the situation. I hope Nichelle makes a big difference at the LAPD.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

The casting department whiffed badly there. Which makes me feel bad for the actresses because they're not that bad.

The actress who plays Powell looks more like Lina Esco. The cynical part of me thinks they figured that casual viewers and those who multitask when watching TV (which is common now) might not realize that it's not Esco. Of course, the Powell character is not in a romance with Street, but people who watch this show for generic law enforcement drama or background noise might not notice or care. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

It is much more than just the uniform, though that doesn't settle ANYBODY down. Police in uniform, showing up on scene in a police cruiser, etc., stress out an already stressed person in crisis. The real problem is that police aren't generally trained in mental health crises, and respond as police officers, rather than counselors, de-escalators, peacemakers. When you're a hammer, suddenly the whole world looks like a nail. Police are trained to respond to things as "threats" not "person in crisis." Obviously there are a million nuances, but isn't just uniforms, it is a matter of training appropriate to the situation. I hope Nichelle makes a big difference at the LAPD.

I realize that. I was thinking out loud- just because it's funded by the LAPD and is under their jurisdiction doesn't mean that actual police officers, necessarily, have to be involved in the program (although Hondo already is). This could be an "arms' length" program by the LAPD, perhaps. The question is whether or not the LAPD being involved in the program at all in an official capacity would undermine its integrity. I'm not sure it has to.

Sorry to be way behind on this. Just playing catch-up.

I actually really liked that they went against a lot of tropes.

1. Street's old nemesis, despite first impressions, turned out to be a good guy. Usually, Street would be proven right at some point, with him revealing to Hondo what really happened.

2. Nia didn't act like the jealous ex-lover, immediately turning on Hondo when she found out he was in a relationship. She really sold her contriteness and humility.

I do have a feeling, though, that her PTSD from this incident will be revisited.

I'd been thinking last episode that I was hoping Nichelle wouldn't be turned into the little lady who sits home and worries about her man. I decided to wait and see if they'd make her a more integral part of the team, while being a civilian. I thought this was an interesting path.

Also loved Deac putting Hondo's head trip to rest.

• Love 1