Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E02: Brendan Gleeson / Willow

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

The blood oath sketch in this episode was cut from last week's episode. 

So poor Chloe and Mikey had to do that sketch three different times (if you count the dress for this week). They must have been so relieved for it to be over, but also were having fun out there. It reminded me of the episode of Roseanne where she pours a quart of milk over Jackie’s head.

• Love 2

Hah, I loved the Please Don’t Destroy skit.  The facial expressions on those guys just crack me up.  And I must go for the silly, because the dumb googly eyes made me laugh, too.

I had to look up the host.  Thought he did a good job and he has an impressive resume.

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 3
On 10/9/2022 at 1:04 AM, peacheslatour said:

I loved Willow. What a breath of fresh air! 

I was prepared to dislike her on principle, but that first song was quite good.  The second song, well, it was not my cup of tea.  But she seemed really committed to it.

I about rolled off the couch laughing during the photographer sketch and loved the Try Guys on CNN one, too.

On 10/9/2022 at 12:05 PM, Peace 47 said:

I did like the Try Guys sketch, but it seemed like the sketch was taking a point of view that it was overblown to fire the guy “just” for having an affair when the reality of the situation is that Ned Fulmer was having an affair with a subordinate while he was supposedly the acting HR director for their company, while his cheated upon spouse was also working for the company, which all seems to be a pretty fireable offense.  So it’s like, I don’t get the fascination with the story, but I also don’t think the guy suffered any unfair consequences, either.

From my perspective as someone who had no fucking idea who the Try Guys are, it seemed like they were aiming at the online hysteria over the story, not the particulars of the firing itself.  Which struck me as hilarious, especially when Mikey kept almost breaking.  Ego's character was absolutely speaking to/for me.

On 10/9/2022 at 2:12 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wasn't Willow Smith just on a few episodes back in the spring? They must really like her at SNL.

As a guitarist for other artists.  I think this was her first "starring" appearance.  (I could be wrong about that, though.)

On 10/9/2022 at 7:48 PM, Dejana said:

I thought the Try Giys sketch was lampooning how a manager/employee affair of niche YouTubers became this story that dominated social media for days and got covered by The New York Times/NPR/etc. From the fan reactions and the video of the remaining guys processing their trauma about it all, the uninitiated briefly wondered if the exiled Try Guy murdered someone or committed some other terrible crime.

That was my impression as well.  Like "This is the big scandal?".

On 10/9/2022 at 8:39 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's not true consent if the person is your boss. The consent is compromised.

Honestly, I have some issues with that, in that I don't think consent is always impossible, but either way, it wasn't necessary to include in the sketch which was about the media/online hysteria about the story, not the details themselves, imo.

On 10/10/2022 at 3:12 PM, Blakeston said:

He has stage experience, too - so I was surprised that he was so awkward and stumbly in his monologue. He was very good at playing characters, though. I guess doing a live comedy monologue as yourself is different from other types of acting.

I think so.  It's not particularly in his wheelhouse.  But he was definitely game for the sketches.

• Like 2

I enjoy Brendan Gleeson, but this was a sort of middling episode just like the premiere. Not because of Gleeson at all, imo, although he got through the monologue by the skin of his teeth. A lot of hosts aren't good at the monologue though.

For me, the highlight was the new castmember, Molly. She was hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/9/2022 at 12:40 AM, vb68 said:

Good for Marcello. He KILLED his Update spot. 

Disagree.  I felt the whole time like I was watching a standup routine.  Whereas last week when Longfellow did his WU, it actually seemed appropriate to WU.

On 10/10/2022 at 2:06 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

I admit to liking the "High School Seniors" skit because I'm an alumna of Penn State! 

On 10/10/2022 at 5:50 PM, Ottis said:

Maybe I missed something, please clarify? Because there was a shower scene?

On the off chance that this is a genuine question, Penn State was where all the boys said they were applying to college,