Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Concept Store

raven
  • Start Topic

After spending one month away to focus on their final collections, the designers return to the studio to prep their concept stores. With the finale in sight, one designer will go home before their collection every sees the light of day.

I wasn't terribly impressed with anyone's store.   I liked Rafael's the best, probably because he made a jacket for a doggakin, heh.

I thought Georgia would go - I thought it was a mistake to go so minimal and not have any of her clothes on mannequins except for the runway outfit.   

I didn't have any really strong feelings about anyone's collection.   It's hard to get a feel for the clothes when they're just hanging.

It was a good idea of Jeanette's to use live models but she went home anyway!  I like how everyone does seem genuinely supportive of each other.

Nice that the show put them up in apartments  I don't remember if they did that in prior seasons; I don't think so.

• Love 1

I'm still pulling for Georgia all the way, but I would rather have seen Jeannette in the finale than Rafael. 

They've been setting him up for the win since day 1.  SOOOO much time in his talking heads. background, inspirations and just general babble.  But it makes sense.  Season 1` winner was a white, American man.  Season 2 was a Black American woman.   Season 3 needs to be a Hispanic man.  Season 4 should be an Asian or European woman.  They always have a formula, and a rationale for why the winner is chosen.  And it's not the most talent and best clothing. 

Yannick is still just strange and "conceptual".  His & Rafael's clothes are not for real women with real bodies.  They are for models and dress forms.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 1

Rafael’s look had me thinking of Edina Monsoon from AbFab!

And I laughed so hard when Yannick’s jacket came down the runway.  It’s like he was punking the judges or something.   And they lapped it up. 

I would wear more of Georgia’s designs but agree they weren’t revolutionary.  I just really liked her. 

Crazy season!

01AA553B-9172-4E50-84BE-9F48EECA9316.jpeg

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I don't understand why there wasn't any critique of Yannik's use of one print and white.  There didn't appear to be four designs in that concept store, unless you count the "swag bag" and socks as a look.  His aesthetic is very different for me, so maybe I am being too critical, but none of the judges had a problem with his minimal designs.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I don't understand why there wasn't any critique of Yannik's use of one print and white.

OMG!  Yes!  And when the judges were going on and on about his use of color, it was baffling.  What color??  Those two muted shades of maybe blue and green?  

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I am so tired of Rafael. He's as emotional as a 12 year old. He tires me out. And sparkly "morning wear"? In whose world?

I thought that Georgina's "sculptural" t-shirt looks like what happens when something with velcro ends up in your dryer. It bunches it up. Who would want to wear that? (I do love me some Richard Serra though- but I agree that as a sculptor, he's NOT what Georgina does).

IMG-0837.jpg

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mahfouz said:

Not that this matters too much but Brazilians aren't considered Hispanic. They speak Portuguese. 

Ooof!  I should know better.  Thanks, I know it would matter to Brazilians!  Rafael even mentioned speaking Portuguese with his mom.  

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I am so tired of Rafael. He's as emotional as a 12 year old. He tires me out. And sparkly "morning wear"? In whose world?

I thought that Georgina's "sculptural" t-shirt looks like what happens when something with velcro ends up in your dryer. It bunches it up. Who would want to wear that? (I do love me some Richard Serra though- but I agree that as a sculptor, he's NOT what Georgina does).

IMG-0837.jpg

That shirt really should have been on a mannequin, not hanging up.  Ruched garments on bodies can be amazing, but never look right on a hanger.  That was a bad call on her part.  

• Like 3

Aside from Yannick's, there was so little concept in the concept stores. Georgia's store was a wall. It was only saved by that hideous Rafael-referencing frilled neck lizard blue rectangular dress. Jeanette managed to make hers more 3-D, but had gone down a route of muddy colours and handkerchief hems, and wasted time in making stiff and ugly handbags in colours of tomato soup and mud. The look on Amazon Barbie when Jeanette proudly showed her the bags... Rafael's was standard bling and fluff for wealthy ladies with no personal style. I knew he was a shoe-on for the final when Amazon woman, who showed up wearing a fluff skirt, saw his red fluff showpiece.

I'm not sure what the budget constraints were, or the timing, and certainly it was different to having an actual store setting with customers wandering through like season one, or the less succesful but at least somewhat creative spaces in season two, but it was as if none of them aside from Yannick had seen the show or prepared a space before. Or had a concept!

• Love 2